Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pearl a Better Game Coach than Cal?

Featured Replies

Not all kinds of NBA talent like he's had at Memphis and UK though, wouldn't you agree?

 

I am just saying that the 95-96 UMASS squad was a very good team, beating who some call one of the greatest teams in NCAA history (UK's 96 team in a November opener in Detroit, MI). One of the biggest reasons were the two guards from Puerto Rico. They also had the first McDonald's All-American to ever sign with UMASS in Donta Bright. But their main man was Camby who was the national player of the year (pretty impressive when you consider the talent UK had).

 

Do I think Cal's Memphis and UK team's had/have more talent? Probably, but that UMASS team was special and I bet Cal would tell you the same thing. They went 35-2, only losing to GW and UK in the Final Four.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was never one to watch all of Memphis' games and wondered if Cal was a great coach or just a great recruiter. I'm becoming a believer in him as an in-game coach as the season goes on. I don't have stats to back it up but I bet UK has a very high success rate on the possessions coming out of a time out. The Wall alley-oop has been one of his plays. I listened to Wall after this game and he mentioned how they weren't prepared for the 3-2 zone but at half time Cal drew it up on the chalk board on how to attack it and the result was a win. I think you will always have this argument whenever you have a super recruiter. And not to get off the topic, but in a response to an earlier post, I would take Tubby's x's and o's and Calipari's recruiting.:thumb:

I was never one to watch all of Memphis' games and wondered if Cal was a great coach or just a great recruiter. I'm becoming a believer in him as an in-game coach as the season goes on. I don't have stats to back it up but I bet UK has a very high success rate on the possessions coming out of a time out. The Wall alley-oop has been one of his plays. I listened to Wall after this game and he mentioned how they weren't prepared for the 3-2 zone but at half time Cal drew it up on the chalk board on how to attack it and the result was a win. I think you will always have this argument whenever you have a super recruiter. And not to get off the topic, but in a response to an earlier post, I would take Tubby's x's and o's and Calipari's recruiting.:thumb:

 

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, about Tubby that I would take. His x's and o's would bore you to death.

 

One thing that I have noticed about Cal is that he down plays his in game coaching. Plus, has anyone else noticed that he never seems to get on the officials? I can't remember one time all year where he really got after an official.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, about Tubby that I would take. His x's and o's would bore you to death.

 

One thing that I have noticed about Cal is that he down plays his in game coaching. Plus, has anyone else noticed that he never seems to get on the officials? I can't remember one time all year where he really got after an official.

 

 

You have seen the JohnChaney video haven't you? :lol::lol:

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, about Tubby that I would take. His x's and o's would bore you to death.

 

One thing that I have noticed about Cal is that he down plays his in game coaching. Plus, has anyone else noticed that he never seems to get on the officials? I can't remember one time all year where he really got after an official.

That's because he blends in with the blue sidelines at Rupp, which makes him invisibile when viewing through your blue shaded glasses.

 

If you have been to a game in person, you know that he gets on the officials quite a bit.

That's because he blends in with the blue sidelines at Rupp, which makes him invisibile when viewing through your blue shaded glasses.

 

If you have been to a game in person, you know that he gets on the officials quite a bit.

 

I don't think he does. And yes, I have been to quite a few games this year.

You have seen the JohnChaney video haven't you? :lol::lol:

 

I don't remember that being about the officials but a personal problem between Cal and Chaney. :thumb:

I don't remember that being about the officials but a personal problem between Cal and Chaney. :thumb:

 

 

Go watch it again.

I thought UK made better defensive adjustments after halftime last night and that was the difference.

 

Cal also called a couple of brilliant plays out of time outs both led to easy Wall baskets and got UK on a roll to win the game. I'll take Cal any day.

I don't see Bruce Pearl as a particularly good game coach.

 

In the past NCAA tournaments I have watched the Vols play in, Bruce does not make adjustments, but rather, sticks with what had gotten him there.

 

I think Bruce Pearl is at his best with an underdog team who plays their hearts out. That's this year's Tennessee Vol team. Bruce Pearl is a master motivator.......his strength as a coach.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, about Tubby that I would take. His x's and o's would bore you to death.

 

One thing that I have noticed about Cal is that he down plays his in game coaching. Plus, has anyone else noticed that he never seems to get on the officials? I can't remember one time all year where he really got after an official.

 

Yep, bore you all the way to a National Championship with players Rick Pitino wanted no part of. Did Tubby take one of your girlfriends or something? You really do not like the man. He's gone now, let it go.

 

 

All coaches get after officials. All of them. It's part of the game, it's part of coaching. Surely you don't believe otherwise. I think instead of being demonstrative on the sidelines towards officials that he just uses slick one liners and smart aleck comments directed at the refs when they jog by but all coaches get on the refs. It's not possible that they don't and if they don't get on the refs, they simply don't care, IMO.

Yep, bore you all the way to a National Championship with players Rick Pitino wanted no part of. Did Tubby take one of your girlfriends or something? You really do not like the man. He's gone now, let it go.

 

 

All coaches get after officials. All of them. It's part of the game, it's part of coaching. Surely you don't believe otherwise. I think instead of being demonstrative on the sidelines towards officials that he just uses slick one liners and smart aleck comments directed at the refs when they jog by but all coaches get on the refs. It's not possible that they don't and if they don't get on the refs, they simply don't care, IMO.

 

Tubby drove the program off a cliff. If he took one of my girlfriends I wouldn't dislike him nearly as much as I do.

 

I realize there is some give and takes with officials but I don't recall one time where Cal was on the brink of receiving a technical.

Tubby drove the program off a cliff. If he took one of my girlfriends I wouldn't dislike him nearly as much as I do.

 

I realize there is some give and takes with officials but I don't recall one time where Cal was on the brink of receiving a technical.

 

Tubby may have drove to the mountain but Billy G drove the program off of a cliff.

 

 

 

That means Cal is smart in how he handles getting on the officials.

Tubby may have drove to the mountain but Billy G drove the program off of a cliff.

 

 

 

That means Cal is smart in how he handles getting on the officials.

 

I agree on both statements. Billy G. was only here because Tubby basically quit two years before leaving.

 

I'm sure Cal works the officials but to play 25 games and never once seem to be on the verge of "losing it" is unusual.

I think there are quite a few coaches who are better in game coaches than Cal. Cal is likely the best recruiter in the land, but he gets his wins because of his talent, not because he out coaches opposing coaches. JMO.

 

Hasn't Pearl had his share of success against Cal in the past?

 

Agreed. I think Bruce Pearl is one of three best coaches in the country this season.

Edited by BigSpikes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.