February 15, 201016 yr Agreed. I think Bruce Pearl is one of three best coaches in the country. So a coach that has never made it past the Sweet 16 is one of the 3 best in all of college basketball? Where do you come up with this stuff???
February 15, 201016 yr I think what Pearl does best is prepare a game plan and get the team ready to execute it once the ball goes up on game day. Some of that credit has to go to whatever assistant does the scout for that opponent, but you have to appreciate how well the Vols prep night in and night out. The flaw is he is often too tied into that plan to know when and what adjustments to make when the opponent does things the scouting report isn't prepared for. I have been very impressed with how well he has adapted the revolving roster situation and keeping the team afloat this year...
February 15, 201016 yr So a coach that has never made it past the Sweet 16 is one of the 3 best in all of college basketball? Where do you come up with this stuff??? In my head, where do you come up with your stuff? He's lost his best player this season and has still managed very well. I think he is one of the 3 best coaches in the country this year. You'll find something wrong with something I say, so let's hear it.
February 15, 201016 yr In my head, where do you come up with your stuff? He's lost his best player this season and has still managed very well. I think he is one of the 3 best coaches in the country this year. You'll find something wrong with something I say, so let's hear it. You didn't say "this year" in the post I quoted. If that's your stance, I won't dispute that. As I said in the post above he has done a great job keeping this team moving forward after what could (and likely should) have resulted in a collapse...
February 15, 201016 yr You didn't say "this year" in the post I quoted. If that's your stance, I won't dispute that. As I said in the post above he has done a great job keeping this team moving forward after what could (and likely should) have resulted in a collapse... I apologize, it has been fixed.
February 16, 201016 yr One thing that I have noticed about Cal is that he down plays his in game coaching. Yep, and that's why he lost to Self and Kansas a couple of years ago in the Championship game.
February 16, 201016 yr As far as preparation and adjustments Pearl leaves a lot to be desired. He played a 3-2 zone that UK wasn't prepared for, I will give them that. He slowed the pace and the players knocked down some big, big shots, especially Goins. What other adjustments did he make? At the end of the game how did he manage that? Close game coming down the stretch and then what? Nothing! Good coaches excel at the end of games. Coach Pearl did not do well in that category the other night. Give me Cal all day long. Blending 3 true freshman on a team that has lost only one game. Pulling out win after win, coming back from being down. He can flat out coach.
February 16, 201016 yr By the way, for those of you who don't know, every play offensively and defensively works on paper!!! Good coaches get the players to do it.:thumb:
February 16, 201016 yr Yep, and that's why he lost to Self and Kansas a couple of years ago in the Championship game. I'm sorry but you lost me.
February 16, 201016 yr Yep, and that's why he lost to Self and Kansas a couple of years ago in the Championship game. :confused: Because he down plays his in game coaching?? :idunno:
February 16, 201016 yr I'm sorry but you lost me. :thumb: I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I have no idea what he's talking about.
February 16, 201016 yr Yep, bore you all the way to a National Championship with players Rick Pitino wanted no part of. Did Tubby take one of your girlfriends or something? You really do not like the man. He's gone now, let it go. All coaches get after officials. All of them. It's part of the game, it's part of coaching. Surely you don't believe otherwise. I think instead of being demonstrative on the sidelines towards officials that he just uses slick one liners and smart aleck comments directed at the refs when they jog by but all coaches get on the refs. It's not possible that they don't and if they don't get on the refs, they simply don't care, IMO. I love all the love Tubby gets from non-UK fans. I can't help but wonder why. :lol:
February 16, 201016 yr Yep, bore you all the way to a National Championship with players Rick Pitino wanted no part of. Did Tubby take one of your girlfriends or something? You really do not like the man. He's gone now, let it go. All coaches get after officials. All of them. It's part of the game, it's part of coaching. Surely you don't believe otherwise. I think instead of being demonstrative on the sidelines towards officials that he just uses slick one liners and smart aleck comments directed at the refs when they jog by but all coaches get on the refs. It's not possible that they don't and if they don't get on the refs, they simply don't care, IMO. Tubby is way too classy for that.......
February 16, 201016 yr In 17 seasons, Cal has coached in 44 more games than Pearl, which would point towards more post season success also. Pearl's lack of post season success at least at the D2 level is due to playing in the same conference as KWC. Ray Harper owned Bruce Pearl. They went head to head for five seasons from 1997 to 2001. Over that time period USI had a record of 127-27. That's a winning percentage of .825. The Screaming Eagles were usually loaded, as were the Panthers, and they had some epic battles. Harper finished with a 13-4 record head to head with Pearl during that time. KWC was responsible for almost 50% of USI's total losses during that time. In 1999 USI went 26-6 with 4 losses to KWC. The biggest stat of all in my opinion is that Harper had a 7-0 post season record against Pearl. If not for facing KWC in both the GLVC tourny and having to see them in the NCAA Regionals, Pearl more than likely would have coached in a lot more post season games.
February 16, 201016 yr I've never been high on Calipari's in-game coaching ability. I started a thread talking about Tennessee/Kentucky Cal/Pearl and Pearl's success against Calipari a few weeks ago. For the past several years, Calipari has won on talent 90% of the time. I think Calipari has done a good job this year of noticing his strengths, something he is pretty inclue with. That said, the "dribble-drive" has been a system that relies on less "coaching." That system doesn't require elaborate plays and scouting. This year, we're running less "dribble-drive" and I think Cal and his staff are showing that they can adjust to the personnel. The Wall lob pass has worked many times this year. Nothing against Cal, but that doesn't make him an elite in-game coach. He (and his assistants) know when to run the play. Kentucky doesn't run very comlicated sets, but they don't need to with their talent. Pearl, like many have said, is a great (or has great assistants) scouter. He can prepare his teams pre-game and look well. Luckily, if the opposing team can make changes throughout the game, they have a chance.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.