Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pearl a Better Game Coach than Cal?

Featured Replies

I have never thought of Pearl as quite Woodenesque, but apparently some in Tennessee do. I was watching a TV sports show on WATE in Knoxville this morning. The show discusses Tennessee sports. When talking about last night's game, one reporter on the panel said that while UK will be dominant as long as Cal is here, UT will do quite well against UK. The reason, while Cal gets better players, Pearl is the better in-game coach. The rest of the panel offered no objections to that view.

 

I have always thought of Pearl more along the lines of a Dale Brown, someone who could , at times,motivate his guys to play over and above their talent level, but not really that great of an x's and o's guy. Maybe I'm wrong and the Tenn. guys are right, but I have never been that impressed with him during games. You have to give him credit though; he has had the Vols consistently in the national polls the last few years. Personally, I think UT's Summit is superior to both Cal and Pearl.

 

What do you think? Who is the better game coach, Bruce or Cal???

  • Replies 73
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are quite a few coaches who are better in game coaches than Cal. Cal is likely the best recruiter in the land, but he gets his wins because of his talent, not because he out coaches opposing coaches. JMO.

 

Hasn't Pearl had his share of success against Cal in the past?

I think there are quite a few coaches who are better in game coaches than Cal. Cal is likely the best recruiter in the land, but he gets his wins because of his talent, not because he out coaches opposing coaches. JMO.

 

Hasn't Pearl had his share of success against Cal in the past?

 

I agree with this guy.

I'd take Calipari. But, I'm biased.

 

Regardless, I don't think it matters much. Talent wins more often than not...if they believe Calipari will have better talent more often than not (and I'm inclined to agree with them), then his team will win more often than not.

Yeah , Bruce Pearl is awesome and is awesome in March as well.

I'll take Coach Cal over Pearl any day.

Can you give any examples of in game strategy and tactics where you think Pearl is better than Cal? Real examples not just "I think".

I thought UK made better defensive adjustments after halftime last night and that was the difference.

Can you give any examples of in game strategy and tactics where you think Pearl is better than Cal? Real examples not just "I think".

 

 

 

Coach Cal could not adjust to the 2-3 zone. He even kept calling it a 3-2 zone in the halftime interview and the post game interview.

My question is this - how many coaches at top programs are great X and O guys and how many are great recruiters?

 

I have been to a few clinics from big name guys and have been less than impressed with more than a few coaches X and O's.................

Coach Cal could not adjust to the 2-3 zone. He even kept calling it a 3-2 zone in the halftime interview and the post game interview.

 

It was a 3-2 zone, not a 2-3 zone. He said that they hadn't prepared for it since UT really hadn't used it before. Because it was a 3-2 and not a 2-3 is the reason that Bledsoe got the open looks from the corners--they are hard to defend in a 3-2.

Coach Cal could not adjust to the 2-3 zone. He even kept calling it a 3-2 zone in the halftime interview and the post game interview.

 

It was a 3-2 zone for a better part of the game. I thought Pearl did a very good job of switching it between a 2-3, 3-2, and at times a 2-1-2 when they sagged to the middle. They kept UK off balance with the defense for 31 minutes of the game. Don't you think Cal knows what kind of d they were playing against?

It was a 3-2 zone, not a 2-3 zone. He said that they hadn't prepared for it since UT really hadn't used it before. Because it was a 3-2 and not a 2-3 is the reason that Bledsoe got the open looks from the corners--they are hard to defend in a 3-2.

 

 

Sure looked like a 2-3 to me but I have been wrong before.

Back to the thread topic.

 

Both are good coaches. Very similar winning percentages, but Cal has the two Final Four's. What barometer do you use to measure a better "in game" coach? Isn't the ultimate measurement a win? What else matters?

 

Pearl-Currently ranked #4 among active coaches with a winning % of .774. Record of 415-121. 17 years of coaching.

 

Cal-Currently ranked #6 among active coaches with a winning % of .760. Record of

441-139. 17 years of coaching.

 

Cal is also ranked fourth all time in 30+ win seasons with 6.

I feel like Pearl's teams usually don't go as far as their seed indicates in the Big Dance.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.