Best QB in the state? What do y'all think?

Coach Big

I was listening to the Paintsville - Lynn Camp tonight on the Williamsburg station, (Williamsburg announcers) announcer said that Pugh was the best they had seen all year. I don't think Williamsburg saw too many good QB's this year but the same announcers did the LC - Hazard game last week and did see Olinger.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with 4chs on his view of Clint Cashen. I favor him because he goes to Corbin but I can 100% honestly say without any bias that he outplayed Chris Todd (E'Town/Texas Tech) and played even if not a little better than Zach Bernard (OCath/Marshall). I can guarentee you than both of their coaches would agree with me on that. The Coach from O'Cath was/is very high on Clint. Apparently national recruiting gurus think so too.

I was just wondering how you came to the conclusion that Cashen outplayed Zach Barnard in the state-semis last year?? First off corbin was only in the game because of their running attack, cashen played well but he definetly didn't outplay Zach. I mean don't you think Corbin would have won the closely contested game if that was the case, and maybe he could've made that final 2-pt conversion pass too.

I haven't seen him on the list, but Nick Petrion HAS to be considered...all hes done this year is throw 136 of 225 for 2415 yards and 24 tds and only 1 int...those are exceptional numbers

Nick has done a solid job so far this year, he has shown alot of heart and ability.He has a great cast around him ( which is what the non-Trinity supporters use against him), but I would take him over alot of the mentioned QBs on this thread. He should be All District hands down, lets see where the District Coaches see him and if they no the difference between an All District QB or not? I hope that what I have been reading on the BGP about politics and Public vs. Private is nothing more than rumors! we shall see.

I was just wondering how you came to the conclusion that Cashen outplayed Zach Barnard in the state-semis last year?? First off corbin was only in the game because of their running attack, cashen played well but he definetly didn't outplay Zach. I mean don't you think Corbin would have won the closely contested game if that was the case, and maybe he could've made that final 2-pt conversion pass too.

I said he outplayed Todd and played even if not a little better than Bernard. Cashen did play even in my opinion. Bernard style worked better but Cashen did more of the QB things (reading, ect) a little better. Bernard was ultimately successful because he had better recievers. Zach was able to launch it up and have people like Wright just run under it and catch it. Cashen had to drop back, pick and choose his recievers. I'm taking nothing away from Bernard because he was great that night. I just think Clint was unbelievable. Also, it was FRESHMAN vs. SENIOR.

I said he outplayed Todd and played even if not a little better than Bernard. Cashen did play even in my opinion. Bernard style worked better but Cashen did more of the QB things (reading, ect) a little better. Bernard was ultimately successful because he had better recievers. Zach was able to launch it up and have people like Wright just run under it and catch it. Cashen had to drop back, pick and choose his recievers. I'm taking nothing away from Bernard because he was great that night. I just think Clint was unbelievable. Also, it was FRESHMAN vs. SENIOR.

OK first off Cashen didn't play even with Zach and how can you say all Barnard had to do was "launch it up and have people like Wright jus run....". That is the most ridiculous statement ever, Zach is a D-1 player at Marshall University because the kid could throw a 65 yrd. bomb with accuracy alot of starting d-1 quarterbacks wish they had. Also you said "Cashen had to drop back, pick and choose his recievers" hmmmm doesn't like every QB have to do that when they pass? I was jus wondering. And one last thing were talking about player outplaying player not Freshman VS Senior.

I've heard people not just from Corbin say he is as good if not better than Couch was at this stage. Now will he pan out that good? He could but its doubtful as Couch was once in a lifetime type HS QB but 1/2 the player Tim Couch is would be better than 90% of other QBs.

I would like to see Clint get the opportunity to throw 40-50 times a game with the receivers that Couch had.

OK first off Cashen didn't play even with Zach and how can you say all Barnard had to do was "launch it up and have people like Wright jus run....". That is the most ridiculous statement ever, Zach is a D-1 player at Marshall University because the kid could throw a 65 yrd. bomb with accuracy alot of starting d-1 quarterbacks wish they had. Also you said "Cashen had to drop back, pick and choose his recievers" hmmmm doesn't like every QB have to do that when they pass? I was jus wondering. And one last thing were talking about player outplaying player not Freshman VS Senior.

Your coach and boosters were after Clint awful hard over last winter for some reason...

OK, Barnard over the season as a whole was a better QB, but in the game in question they were pretty even. Will Cashen be a better QB as a senior than Barnard was as a senior? Likely so, but we'll have to wait and see.

IMO Cashen is at the bottom of the top 5 list in the state this year, which says a lot.

If you go by stats, Durell Olinger is at the top of the list without question...........he's leading the state in yards per game, percentage of completion, top 5 in td thrown. That's just my opinon, what do y'all think?

i dont know who the best is,but,williamsburg has one of the best tandem of qb's in thomas frazier and jordan hughett.they are unstoppable

A little late on this thread...I can only speak of QBs that I have seen. I believe that comparing QB's by stats alone is very misleading for several reasons.

1. Is the team pass oriented, run oriented, or both?

2. How good are the WRs?

3. How good is the O-Line? (Couch w/ Browns)

4. Competition?

5. Is the Coach keeping the starting QB in the game,during blowouts, to pad stats?

Stats have to be used, but not solely. That's why we have scouts.

Burke is the best without question. He is in the same class as Brohm, and Couch. His accuracy is amazing. His throws are smart, on target and very crisp. Stats wise...his TD/INT ratio (56-4) is awesome esp. considering that he comes from a pass happy offense.

Petrino (Trinity) is good and has good numbers from another pass happy attack. But he is not in the same class as Burke. If Burke had Petrino's O-Line this thread would not be necessary. It wasn't necessary during Brohm's era....Thank God for us Tigers that era is over....I hope there are no little Brohms on the way.

Anderson (Male) doesn't have a bad TD/INT ratio either (24-4) He does have some out of this world receivers though. Beaumont and #22 could catch a piece of ice in a tornado. In the X game Anderson threw some very ugly passes that these receivers reeled in. He also has a good O-Line. Anderson's accuracy and crispness is no where near Burke's.

Curley (X) Come on Andy...While I love the Tigers and this kid..he doesn't belong here. True... he is undefeated against all KY schools for the past 2 years, but he TD/INT ratio (8-8) excludes him from being in this forum. In his defense...most of X's passing comes from the sprint out...a much harder pass than the pocket pass.

As for the rest mentioned here..I have not seen them play so I cannot make an informed opinion. Stats lie when held alone!

Burke is the best without question. He is in the same class as Brohm, and Couch. His accuracy is amazing. His throws are smart, on target and very crisp. Stats wise...his TD/INT ratio (56-4) is awesome esp. considering that he comes from a pass happy offense.

While I agree that Burke may be the best in the state at this time, he is no where near in the class of Brohm and Couch. He is good, but is he USAToday player of the year good, I think not. Not meant as an insult. He is a very good player.

I really believe that before it is all over Fidler may be the best QB to come out of this class.

I was also impressed with KJ Black's abilities this past Friday.

And yes my friend, rumor has it that Jeff's infant son Brady works out at the Marshall Center five days a week. Just kidding but it won't be long before he is lighting it up in flag football. Another Double B, It has a certain ring doesn't it.

He isnt the best quarterback may not be in the top five but i thik you have to give some props and recognition to somerset's Ross Deaton his numbers are acceptionaly well:

going into pikeville he had 1,623 passing yards 24 touchdowns and just threw 3 interceptions. Will definitley be one of kentucky's best qbs i think next year.