Holmes 67 Dixie Heights 64

Anyone have a box score on this one?

Holmes 67, Dixie Heights 64

Holmes (16-5) - Herndon 1 6 8, Hayes 1 0 2, Slusher 3 2 8, J. Johnson 0 2 2, Pittman 7 9 23, Avery 1 0 2, R. Johnson 7 8 22. Totals: 20 27 67.

Dixie (9-12) - Stahl 1 4 7, P. Stansberry 3 1 9, B. Stansberry 0 2 2, Pike 7 1 15, Raleigh 6 2 14, Hatton 2 5 10, Smith 3 0 7. Totals: 22 15 64.

Holmes 16 12 18 21 -67

Dixie 14 12 17 22 -64

D 5 (P. Stansberry 2, Stahl, Hatton, SmitH)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

?????? He never touched the ball, the ball actually got to the rim although it was about 3 steps after the foul was called.

I stand corrected bigmarc. Another person at the game sent me a text stating that the defender did not stuff the ball on the play but may have got a piece of it. I knew I saw a hand hit something round. I agree with your prior post that there was alot going on out on the floor all night which typically happens in a hard fought physical game. Give the Dogs credit though, they hit some big FT's down the stretch.

Pittman took 2 steps max off of the bench. The official turned around and told everyone to stay on the bench. If Pittman took 5 steps he would have been in the lane by then. He barely left the bench. Technically, he could have been ejected (its not a T - its an ejection for leaving the bench during a fight). Ref handled it correctly.

Whoever said "they should let them play" is nuts. If that was the mindset it would have been a fistfight on every play.

Regarding JJ's foul - he got fouled on the dribble , whistle blew, he kept dribbling and went up for a shot (3 or 4 more dribbles) and the defender knocked the heck out of him. I completely understand JJ's frustration.

Dixie's game plan was obvious: Be as physical as possible including forearm shivers whenever possible. Give Pittman credit for handling it for as long as he did.

Pike is a very good player. He just doesn't use his head. The last foul was not ticky-tack as someone stated. Holmes player got the ball and Pike pushed him with 2 hands. Easy and obvious. Even the Dixie guys I was by said it was obvious. He also had a ball stolen and taken in for an easy layup. Instead of letting it go and live for another play he lunged for the guy and picked up his 4th foul. He also got called for throwing an elbow. So at least 3 of his fouls were just silly and it hurt the team. He's a key contributor and needs to be on the floor as much as possible.

Scoring summary unofficial.

Holmes

Pittman- 23

R-Johnson- 22

Herndon- 8

Slusher-8

Avery- 2

J-Johnson-2

Hayes 2

Holmes didnt have any 3's.

Dixie

Pike-15

Raleigh- 14

Hatton-10

P.Stansberry-9

Stahl- 7

Smith-7

B.Stansberry-2

Five 3's for Dixie- P.Stansberry-2, Hatton-1, Smith- 1, Stahl-1

Did Rice not play or just not score?

Too many posts to quote that I've read, so I'll just go off of the points that I remember:

- Zeke Pike played well offensively but it was more of him being in the "right place, at the right time" than him making nice moves against a defender. He was in foul trouble because he couldn't defend Pittman down low. Pittman was a step too quick for him and that's why he picked up a couple fouls on the floor. Pike looks like he's gotten bigger since last year, weight wise. I seem to remember him being thin last year.

- For those of you who say Dixie wins if Pike doesn't foul out, let's not forget that Pittman spent his fair share of time on the bench last night. When Dixie made their run to take the 3 or 4 point lead, it was with the big guy on the bench because of a tech after the Ricardo Johnson dunk. Both teams had questionable calls against them, but let's not play the whole "if this kid isn't in foul trouble" card because that goes both ways. Officiating was horrible last night both ways. Neither team could get in the flow of the game because any time they'd make a nice run, a foul was being called next possession.

- Other than the Jeremiah Johnson incident, there was also a very hard foul by I believe #4 on Ricardo Johnson on a break away. Ricardo kept his cool though and also did a nice job of calming JJ down after the hard foul on him. Speaking of the foul, that not only should have been intentional, but also a T on Stansberry. JJ got fouled on the floor by a different player and 2 or 3 steps later was knocked down hard. Stansberry also clapped in Pittman's face while walking down the court after he missed that dunk. Had that been Pittman after he made a dunk, he probably would've received a T. Dixie's whole strategy last night was to play physical and try to get in the Holmes' guys heads. It worked to an extent but Ricardo Johnson took over down the stretch and that was the difference in the game.

Both teams played hard last night though and outside of the amount of fouls that were called, it was an entertaining game. I'd compare this to the Holmes/Scott game of last year.

Pittman took 2 steps max off of the bench. The official turned around and told everyone to stay on the bench. If Pittman took 5 steps he would have been in the lane by then. He barely left the bench. Technically, he could have been ejected (its not a T - its an ejection for leaving the bench during a fight). Ref handled it correctly.

Whoever said "they should let them play" is nuts. If that was the mindset it would have been a fistfight on every play.

Regarding JJ's foul - he got fouled on the dribble , whistle blew, he kept dribbling and went up for a shot (3 or 4 more dribbles) and the defender knocked the heck out of him. I completely understand JJ's frustration.

Dixie's game plan was obvious: Be as physical as possible including forearm shivers whenever possible. Give Pittman credit for handling it for as long as he did.

Pike is a very good player. He just doesn't use his head. The last foul was not ticky-tack as someone stated. Holmes player got the ball and Pike pushed him with 2 hands. Easy and obvious. Even the Dixie guys I was by said it was obvious. He also had a ball stolen and taken in for an easy layup. Instead of letting it go and live for another play he lunged for the guy and picked up his 4th foul. He also got called for throwing an elbow. So at least 3 of his fouls were just silly and it hurt the team. He's a key contributor and needs to be on the floor as much as possible.

Very good analysis, Clyde. Dead on with every point. :thumb:

Sometimes it's not quite so easy to play an underachieving level of basketball for a long stretch and then magically turn it on at tournament time. Holmes needs to start asserting itself going into the tournament, not hope their "A" game shows up at the start of the tourney.

I do believe Dixie's players got in the Holmes players heads....a big part of their success IMO.

Their was plenty of action going on both ways. I recall Pittman throwing a Dixie player to the ground on a free throw. He was whistled for a foul (some refs may have called an intentional) both teams were going at it, not just Dixie.

How did Zeke Pike get so many tip ins/ stick backs against Pittman? I believe almost all of his points were within 3 feet of the basket.

I do believe Dixie's players got in the Holmes players heads....a big part of their success IMO.

Their was plenty of action going on both ways. I recall Pittman throwing a Dixie player to the ground on a free throw. He was whistled for a foul (some refs may have called an intentional) both teams were going at it, not just Dixie.

How did Zeke Pike get so many tip ins/ stick backs against Pittman? I believe almost all of his points were within 3 feet of the basket.

A few of his baskets were off of beating the press. He also scored a few on offside tip-ins. He does a nice job of finding gaps.

He played but played poorly. Terrible shot selection. Didn't play at all in the 2nd half (I don't think.).

That's been a common theme for Rice this season. When he drives the lane he's very tough to defend and stop. When he plays out on the perimeter like last night, he looks very bad at times.