NKMSBL Week of 2/1/10

stinkyboy II

It is middle school basketball and these men/women are giving of their time for what amounts to little more than pocket change.

While I don't always agree with their calls, I thank them for taking time away from their family to come and support middle school athletics as they do.

As far as the calls, what do you expect from middle school referees?

The players ability to play is not equal to a varsity or collegiate player, so why would you expect the refereeing to be?

Best are in NBA/College. Next best at the HS varsity level. Next best is JV and it keeps going down the line.

Regardless of their ability, they are out there helping out.

And from my 21 years involved in coaching, the problems with the refs are usually the tilted vision the fans are looking at the game with.

Is it to much to ask that they know the rules of the game? All refs, regardless of ability should at minimum know the rules of the game.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it to much to ask that they know the rules of the game? All refs, regardless of ability should at minimum know the rules of the game.

ALL of the referees that work at Sharp are licensed officials who have passed the tests that need to be passed to become licensed officials.

There are other schools that don't use licensed officials but Sharp does.

ALL of the referees that work at Sharp are licensed officials who have passed the tests that need to be passed to become licensed officials.

There are other schools that don't use licensed officials but Sharp does.

Sorry for the confusion. I was not aiming my comments at Sharp. I have been to every gym in NKY, and have seen bad officiating at most of them. Also have seen many cases of the refs simply not knowing the rules of the game.

It would be nice to see some head coaches of varsity programs get involved with developing officials for the future.

How many schools have elementary school programs? They could have current/former players come back and officiate some of those games with current "experienced" officials. Then once they graduate those guys could go ahead and get their officiating licenses and start out in the MS/Freshman ranks calling games.

Several "good" HS officials got their start doing MS games. It seems this might give middle schools to have a bigger pool of officials to choose from when getting games assigned. Just a thought.

Sorry for the confusion. I was not aiming my comments at Sharp. I have been to every gym in NKY, and have seen bad officiating at most of them. Also have seen many cases of the refs simply not knowing the rules of the game.

One of the issues is the abuse they take from the stands.

Takes a special person to put up with the crap they put up with from the stands.

To a good number of parents, the refs don't even have to be wrong on a call. THey are going to ride them and hope to get a call later.

I can guarantee you that they lack of knowledge in the stands from many yelling is less than the stripes on the court.

The main problem that I have with some of the officiating I have seen over the last few years is the total lack of effort that is put into doing a good job and then having an attitude on top of that. Players and coaches in junior high and below should be able to talk and/or ask the officials questions without a threatening tone from the official or the threat of a technical. A hustling official/umpire in any game will get my respect even if I may think that they are wrong on a call because I will give them the benefit of the doubt because of their effort. As mentioned earlier, it would be a good idea to get young kids involved in officiating because good money can be had for those that want to dedicate themselves to it. I refereed junior league football games as a high school student and middle school basketball games while attending college. Had to give it up because it interfered too much with my job.

One of the issues is the abuse they take from the stands.

Takes a special person to put up with the crap they put up with from the stands.

To a good number of parents, the refs don't even have to be wrong on a call. THey are going to ride them and hope to get a call later.

I can guarantee you that they lack of knowledge in the stands from many yelling is less than the stripes on the court.

In many, many cases, I agree with you 100%. I really wish there was a muzzle rule for the spectators. It would make the games much more pleasurable to attend.

The main problem that I have with some of the officiating I have seen over the last few years is the total lack of effort that is put into doing a good job and then having an attitude on top of that. Players and coaches in junior high and below should be able to talk and/or ask the officials questions without a threatening tone from the official or the threat of a technical. A hustling official/umpire in any game will get my respect even if I may think that they are wrong on a call because I will give them the benefit of the doubt because of their effort. As mentioned earlier, it would be a good idea to get young kids involved in officiating because good money can be had for those that want to dedicate themselves to it. I refereed junior league football games as a high school student and middle school basketball games while attending college. Had to give it up because it interfered too much with my job.

Here is the problem with the bolded, players come into the game thinking they can question the calls of the officials.

That is NOT ALLOWED in the rules. They are to learn to play by the rules. If they don't learn it in MS when are they supposed to learn it. If they are allowed to throw their arms in the air and question every foul on them, they are learning to play a way that the rules do not allow.

As far as coaches, absolutely head coaches should be able to talk to officials. All of the assistants on the bench, NO! The rules allow for the head coach to talk to officials from the bench. THat is it.

I have no problem with your comment on hustling. I have earned my share of technicals for getting on officials, not for missing a call but for not hustling to be in position to be able to make the call.

The scary part of putting a 16-year old into an elementary game situation as an official is the behavior of the parents in the stands. I did the same as you and earned a lot of good spending money officiating basketball games. But more than once, I was confronted by parents.

I remember once in Berea, after a game I was on my way to the restroom when a mother stopped me yelling and cursing with her finger wagging in my face because I called a double team at the 3 point line but continued to allow them to double team her son in the lane. After 15-30 seconds of her yelling at me, I finally got to say something and pointed out to her that league rules allowed for double teaming in the lane. Her comment, "Oh!" and walked away with no apology for cursing and yelling at me.

Two years ago, I ref'd a summer game with Scott involved. Set of parents sitting on the first row giving me heck. I shook my head and handed the ball to a Scott player to shoot free throws and she said, "Those are my parents and they embarrass me by acting that way every game. Would you please throw them out of the gym."

Here is the problem with the bolded, players come into the game thinking they can question the calls of the officials.

That is NOT ALLOWED in the rules. "

There is no rule that says calls cannot be questioned. Happens 50 times during every game without incident.

BY PLAYERS????

You want all these kids to grow up being a Rasheed Wallace type of player that whines when a foul is called on them?

Again, you stated there is a rule that says players cannot question officials. There is no such rule.

Again, you stated there is a rule that says players cannot question officials. There is no such rule.

I think there is a sportsmanship rule that covers it.

If there isn't a rule, than no player should ever receive a technical for complaining. Rasheed Wallace would have saved several thousand dollars over his playing career.

Are you saying a player is called for a foul and throw their arms and hands in the air and complain about the foul and it should not be a technical because you believe their is no rule saying that is a behavior that is not tolerated?

I think there is a sportsmanship rule that covers it.

If there isn't a rule, than no player should ever receive a technical for complaining. Rasheed Wallace would have saved several thousand dollars over his playing career.

Are you saying a player is called for a foul and throw their arms and hands in the air and complain about the foul and it should not be a technical because you believe their is no rule saying that is a behavior that is not tolerated?

Players question me on a regular basis during games. They break no rule simply by questioning my call.

Your example is the exception. A kid who doesn't handle it properly pays the consequences.

I've had many calls that players do not disagree with. Only one received a technical.

As you stated previously, most people do not know the real rules. Obviously, you are correct.

Players question me on a regular basis during games. They break no rule simply by questioning my call.

Your example is the exception. A kid who doesn't handle it properly pays the consequences.

I've had many calls that players do not disagree with. Only one received a technical.

As you stated previously, most people do not know the real rules. Obviously, you are correct.

I should have clarified my example by saying questioning the improper way.

Am I correct in saying that what is the improper way is a judgement call by the official?

From a HS official on this matter.

It is part of the "sportsmanship" statement in high school. We've been told if a player "shows emotion that is unsporting" we are to penalize them with a technical foul.

I would assume that the emotion that is upsporting is on the judgement of that official.