NKMSBL Week of 2/1/10

stinkyboy II

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a HS official on this matter.

It is part of the "sportsmanship" statement in high school. We've been told if a player "shows emotion that is unsporting" we are to penalize them with a technical foul.

I would assume that the emotion that is upsporting is on the judgement of that official.

Again, 95% of the time a kid questions a call without being unsporting. An official who cannot stand to be questioned is in the wrong field.

From the HS official when I asked about the judgement part.

For the most part. But there are some pretty obvious reactions/statements too such as cursing where everybody in the gym can hear, slapping the floor in frustration, slamming the ball (and not catching it) and so on.

So, it seems I was right that there is a rule in there about questioning an officials call and it is the officials judgement on whether the questioning is unsporting or not.

From the HS official when I asked about the judgement part.

For the most part. But there are some pretty obvious reactions/statements too such as cursing where everybody in the gym can hear, slapping the floor in frustration, slamming the ball (and not catching it) and so on.

So, it seems I was right that there is a rule in there about questioning an officials call and it is the officials judgement on whether the questioning is unsporting or not.

No. You were not right. There is no rule that says players and/or coaches cannot question a call.

You were right once you restated that the official has to make a determination as to what's acceptable. No where in the rulebook does it list what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Therefore, its a judgement call. Your friend may have a lower threshold than his partner. We all have our limits.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

No. You were not right. There is no rule that says players and/or coaches cannot question a call.

You were right once you restated that the official has to make a determination as to what's acceptable. No where in the rulebook does it list what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Therefore, its a judgement call. Your friend may have a lower threshold than his partner. We all have our limits.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

I agree. The difference we will have is on wording and it ain't worth it to continue the discussion on that.

And I see nothing wrong with having lower threshold's for a 11-year old that is learning the game and needs to be taught how they are to act on the court.

My rule as a coach is simple. One of the parts of my job is to question calls IF they need to be questioned. I will do that if needed. Players are not to question calls but focus on playing and their responsibilities.

Refs have a hard enough job rather than having to listen to a 11-year old tell them they don't know what they are doing.

Well since we were talking middle school basketball and there are some 11 year olds at the 6th grade level, it is the life of a MS ref.

Yes, that would be correct. Our discussion was on a broader plane.

Back to MS discussion.