What if there was a split.. but the champs played each other in an exhibition tourny?

ram95

Ok this is crazy and just for fun and could never get passed, but I think it would be fun. First you would have to cut the number of playoff spots down to the top two per district, then you would have to drop the public into a 3 class divison system and the privates to 1 class. That means 4 divisions 3A 2A 1A and Private. Then they all play each other to win a state title in there division. Then the state champs of 3A play the 1A champs, and the 2A champs play the Private schools, and then the winners play for a grand championship.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think if there is a split their is a chance the privates figure out a way to survive without the KHSAA/pubic schools.

I don't know how easy that will be since the KHSAA won't allow their members to play schools which are not sanctioned by their governing body.

Does IN, OH, or TN also have such a rule?

I still think if there is a split their is a chance the privates figure out a way to survive without the KHSAA/pubic schools.

I don't know how easy that will be since the KHSAA won't allow their members to play schools which are not sanctioned by their governing body.

Does IN, OH, or TN also have such a rule?

That rule would change if there was a total split IMHO.

If there was a split (which there will not be) the KHSAA better start figuring out how it is going to hold two Sweet 16 tourneys at Rupp Arena and how it is going to hold 8 championship games at PJS and how it is going to hold two volleyball chamionships, two cross country championships etc without going broke.

Which is why prop 20 will never happen.

That rule would change if there was a total split IMHO.

If it does it would pull into question the reasoning for the rule. The reason given for no Oak Hill-type games is that the liability insurance for KHSAA is not in effect if you are not playing someone that is KHSAA affliliated or a similar organization in another state.

If it does it would pull into question the reasoning for the rule. The reason given for no Oak Hill-type games is that the liability insurance for KHSAA is not in effect if you are not playing someone that is KHSAA affliliated or a similar organization in another state.
Then that is even a bigger reason why the Catholic schools would rather stay even if a split occurs, why would they limit themselves to out of state trips and how would they pay for insurance?

Then that is even a bigger reason why the Catholic schools would rather stay even if a split occurs, why would they limit themselves to out of state oppenets and how would they pay for insurance?

Great point. There are so many side issues to this issues that most of us have no clue about and liability insurance and the cost might be one of them.

Then that is even a bigger reason why the Catholic schools would rather stay even if a split occurs, why would they limit themselves to out of state trips and how would they pay for insurance?

If I was a private school I would stay the first year and as soon as something wasn't fair or equal I'd haul out the lawyers.

So if the public cross-country championships are held at the Horse Park then the private school championships better be held there too.

Of course since the KHSAA doesn't bother to play the Girls Sweet 16 at Rupp but does the Boys they are probably pretty good at defending that already.

Before anyone claims that the Boys tourney makes enough money to warrant Rupp try telling the KHSAA you make more money with boys playing on Friday and see what they say.

If I was a private school I would stay the first year and as soon as something wasn't fair or equal I'd haul out the lawyers.

So if the public cross-country championships are held at the Horse Park then the private school championships better be held there too.

Of course since the KHSAA doesn't bother to play the Girls Sweet 16 at Rupp but does the Boys they are probably pretty good at defending that already.

Before anyone claims that the Boys tourney makes enough money to warrant Rupp try telling the KHSAA you make more money with boys playing on Friday and see what they say.

As the Class A tournament does with boys/girls, wonder if there is anyway to run a public/private state tournament simutaneously. Tuesday run 8 public school games. Wednesday 8 private school games. Thursday 4 public school games and 4 private school games for quarterfinals. Friday the semifinals for both. Saturday back to back championship games. Bet that would increase the $$$ of the Sweet 16.

If there were to be a split I don't see the private schools and the public schools playing each other at all at the end of the year for some sort of overall championship.

I think that would defeat the whole idea behind those who support this proposal. I believe the Sweet 16 and the public schools high school football playoffs would survive a split and in time the private schools wouldn't be missed all that much and that would be unfortunate. There are only 40 something private/parochial schools in the state and any sort of playoff system they might come up with wouldn't really be of much interest to anyone other than the people who attend or have students in those schools. Somehow the playing field needs to be made more even and I know you private/parochial guys will say it is. IMO it isn't at all. I wish there were a better way to solve this issue but none of the other proposals seem to be the answer. Tough issue and very unfortunate it has come to this. Not sure how the vote will turn out but I do believe it will be even closer then the last time it was voted on. I doubt though that the KHSAA governing board would ever vote to pass this even if it were to get that far. So don't sweat it you private/parochial people, I think you will get by on this one.

BigZig mentioned that there are 48 private schools. I believe in the future you will see that number increase tremendously whether prop 20 goes through or not.

Why do you believe that?

If you do believe that then isn't it an indictment of the public school system if there are even more parents looking for alternatives for their children?

Why do people in Kentucky think it's a cool idea to have class winners play each other at the end of the season?

Perhaps it's because Kentucky has always had just one champion in basketball, and people subconsciously think we should have one in everything.

The point of having classes is they DON'T play at the end. The end is when each state champion has been determined. There is not a next step. If you want one champion, you have one class.

The I-AA champ in football won't play at Southern Cal at the end of the year and that shouldn't happen in high school football either. All that would do is end the season on a sour note for three state champions, who should close their careers with a win. That's the point of a state championship.