Everyone keeps saying that this issue "needs to be addressed"...

98NCCalum

Optional for both. If the state championships are seperate than the games (district or whatever structure they come up with) to decide who qualifies will be seperate, therefore, any regular season meeting between privates and publics would be just as they are now, two teams mutually agreeing to play in a game that in the big picture doesn't matter.

Not technically. District games between publics and privates are not optional as it stands right now. If we are put in a "district" with the public schools, would that mean we HAVE to play them to get to post-season play?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not technically. District games between publics and privates are not optional as it stands right now. If we are put in a "district" with the public schools, would that mean we HAVE to play them to get to post-season play?

You wouldn't have forced district games with publics.

You would have 2 kinds of games: 1.) non optional games against other privates to determine post season and 2.) optional games that don't matter against whoever - just like now.

Actually, apparantly we (the private schools) are being "allowed" to play the public schools in the regular season....they just send us to our rooms for the post-season.

Kind of like having a birthday party for a 5 year old, when ony the "chosen" get to spend the night after the festivities.

In Northern KY, the public/privates have their own conference that they compete in during the season. I believe they do this for every sport and even have an all-sport champion. The NKAC golf tournament was this weekend. They have AAA, AA and A classes I believe.

It also would allow the private schools to keep building as a division through the regular season until their numbers grow to the point that they are approaching 100 private schools in the state.

In addition, you may see, down the line, home school students be allowed to form a team and compete in the private school division.

What some public school supporters don't understand is the drastic difference in size in private schools and how few of us their are. It would be impossible for a majority of private schools to compete with Trinity,St.X,CCH, and Lex Cath.

The only sports I see this working is Basketball and Soccer.

This is funny and I don't mean to sound sarcastic. Public schools are told by some on here that they need to work harder and be more committed to compete with the private schools but now it seems an argument is going to be "some poor private schools are just not going to be able to compete against these powerhouses." Would that be a double standard being employed?

Optional for whom? If the Private schools said, heck no....then would they still get to play in their "private school KHSAA championship game"? Or would it be one of those "if you don't play your district opponents, you can't play in a championship game" scenarios?

I still don't have an answer to my question.

I case anyone's forgotten the question:

Why are the public schools willing to play us in district play, but not in the post season? Tell me any possible logical answer to that.

Thruth be told they probably don't want to play you in either. I mean district play leads to the post season.

This is funny and I don't mean to sound sarcastic. Public schools are told by some on here that they need to work harder and be more committed to compete with the private schools but now it seems an argument is going to be "some poor private schools are just not going to be able to compete against these powerhouses." Would that be a double standard being employed?

Yes it is a double standard now, and that is what they are fighting to keep. They say they don't recruit, but it is the life blood of most private schools. How else are you going to get students. But KHSAA rules state you can't recruit. Am I seeing double here? Now obviously they are sending letters to middle school kids in catholic schools but why do coaches attend certain games and talk to certain kids after those games, why not talk to the whole team? Because you don't want the whole team but you sure do want that good player.

In the public schools those players automaticly go to the high school. But if a coach went to another middle school and talked to a kid people would raise the roof. But the privates can go to several middle schools and talk to several kids. So what you have many times is an all-star team.

There is a Northern Kentucky Athletic Conference, but it has nothing to do with post season playoffs. It is a title bestowed upon teams that kind of signals they are the best in NKY.

I will say I think publics and privates in NKY get along better than in Lexington or Louisville and I think that is true because there are some very strong public school athletic programs that have prevented the private schools from dominating (other than swimming, golf, tennis, and volleyball)

Yes it is a double standard now, and that is what they are fighting to keep. They say they don't recruit, but it is the life blood of most private schools. How else are you going to get students. But KHSAA rules state you can't recruit. Am I seeing double here? Now obviously they are sending letters to middle school kids in catholic schools but why do coaches attend certain games and talk to certain kids after those games, why not talk to the whole team? Because you don't want the whole team but you sure do want that good player.

In the public schools those players automaticly go to the high school. But if a coach went to another middle school and talked to a kid people would raise the roof. But the privates can go to several middle schools and talk to several kids. So what you have many times is an all-star team.

Can the private schools lay claim to the ownership, then, of all private gradeshool kids? Because those are the only schools that private schools are allowed to visit. The high schools here in Louisville hold open houses, and it's an open invitation to the community to attend, there's one collective event held at Bellarmine where any and all are welcome to come and get information.

The ONLY schools the high schools are allowed to go into are private grade schools.

There is a Northern Kentucky Athletic Conference, but it has nothing to do with post season playoffs. It is a title bestowed upon teams that kind of signals they are the best in NKY.

I will say I think publics and privates in NKY get along better than in Lexington or Louisville and I think that is true because there are some very strong public school athletic programs that have prevented the private schools from dominating (other than swimming, golf, tennis, and volleyball)

I would say that the strong public schools have a good relationship with the private schools and not necessarily all public schools.