Coaching Frustration

NKYBOY1487

I coach a Middle School team at a local private school. Im very frustrated with the way we are playing. This is my 5th year at this school. Every year it seems to get harder. We practice twice a week for 2hrs a night. We play in a fairly competitive league at a local High School against other private schools.

This particular team is giving me headaches. We seem to have some talent. But we don't really understand basketball. We lack hustle at times. We lack agression. We can't shoot. We can't pass and we can't dribble. We do have 1 shining star. He's legit player. And is the only guy who plays on another team outside of school ball. (Which happens to be a very good AAU team). As an overal team we just don't seem to get it. We don't execute plays we run. We don't run complicated sets. Easy stuff. But we throw it away, take awful shots, and basically just turn it over way too much.

At practice we spend about 40% off the practice working on plays. 25% on rebounding, dribbling, passing and shooting drills. And 25% on basketball knowledge type of things. (what to do late in a quarter with or without the lead, how to play man to man help defense, how to call out picks, how to pick, how to set screens, how to box out, how to pick and roll, etc etc etc.

Oh and 10% on Free throws. Which seems like a waste cuz we yet to shoot over 50% in 1 game this season.

I also coach an AAU team thats a bit older. I love it, we aren't great. But were not bad. We get better. We improve and the kids and all my coaches seem to enjoy it. So its not just me.

Im looking for any help. Any advice?? Anything at all? If this was the NBA I'd just resign. But I can't do that and would never. Please help.....anything at all.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing the team and the league and that you're talking about 5th graders I'd advise you to remember that you can only do so much practicing twice a week. Its not like high school. I'd do what you can and just make sure they work hard. Remember, also, that while it might not hit them this year your teachings may sink in down the road. That's all you can ask.

I coach a Middle School team at a local private school. Im very frustrated with the way we are playing. This is my 5th year at this school. Every year it seems to get harder. We practice twice a week for 2hrs a night. We play in a fairly competitive league at a local High School against other private schools.

This particular team is giving me headaches. We seem to have some talent. But we don't really understand basketball. We lack hustle at times. We lack agression. We can't shoot. We can't pass and we can't dribble. We do have 1 shining star. He's legit player. And is the only guy who plays on another team outside of school ball. (Which happens to be a very good AAU team). As an overal team we just don't seem to get it. We don't execute plays we run. We don't run complicated sets. Easy stuff. But we throw it away, take awful shots, and basically just turn it over way too much.

At practice we spend about 40% off the practice working on plays. 25% on rebounding, dribbling, passing and shooting drills. And 25% on basketball knowledge type of things. (what to do late in a quarter with or without the lead, how to play man to man help defense, how to call out picks, how to pick, how to set screens, how to box out, how to pick and roll, etc etc etc.

Oh and 10% on Free throws. Which seems like a waste cuz we yet to shoot over 50% in 1 game this season.

I also coach an AAU team thats a bit older. I love it, we aren't great. But were not bad. We get better. We improve and the kids and all my coaches seem to enjoy it. So its not just me.

Im looking for any help. Any advice?? Anything at all? If this was the NBA I'd just resign. But I can't do that and would never. Please help.....anything at all.

Hey man I feel your pain. I have never coached that age level of basketball but the last few years I've coached various sports at almost all youth levels.

I would say:

Stress improvement in areas of the game that you can control. Everyone can play defense and everyone can attempt to be careful with the basketball. Work those two things in the ground and demand that they have to do those things in order to get more playing time.

You're probably not going to change the teams overall mid range and perimeter shooting but you can work around the basket. Footwork for the post-players is a forgotten art in youth basketball.

You cannot change your talent level but defense and fundamentals are things that you can improve with practice.

Also one thing that I've learned is that you have to be excited when you coach (especially with that age group). Not being hyper or yelling or anything, but I think it always helps when the coach really shows a passion for that sport. IMO you have to coach excited.

Knowing the team and the league and that you're talking about 5th graders I'd advise you to remember that you can only do so much practicing twice a week. Its not like high school. I'd do what you can and just make sure they work hard. Remember, also, that while it might not hit them this year your teachings may sink in down the road. That's all you can ask.

This is a 7th Grade team, not 5th. But it is true about practicing so much. We are only aloud 2 nights a week for 2hrs, school rule. And truthfully I don't have the time to have more practice than that.

How many games do you play a week? If you are playing about twice per week then 2 nights of practice should be enough. What about getting some scimmages where you could stop play when you need to to give instruction? I have found that to be helpful. No matter what remember that kids play sports to have fun. Try to make it fun for them(and you) win or lose. Sometimes it helps to do something as a team other than playing ball. Bowling, movies, etc.. can help build team. The Globetrotters are coming to town-that would be a fun outing.

This is an A team at the 7th Grade level. We had selection from 22 boys who tried out. We have kept 10 players, but truthfully should have only kept 6 or 7.

You can't have a bball team with 6 or 7 players unless you like constantly worrying about forfeits and fouls. Can't have a good practice with less than 10 either. The bottom 3 or 4 might not be at the level you would like them to be but you gotta work with the tools you are given. Good luck.

This is an A team at the 7th Grade level. We had selection from 22 boys who tried out. We have kept 10 players, but truthfully should have only kept 6 or 7.

Disagree. Your # job is not to win. Your #1 job is to develop future players for the varsity coach. #8 that you cut today may turn out to be 6'4 215. Keep 10 and play 10.

Disagree. Your # job is not to win. Your #1 job is to develop future players for the varsity coach. #8 that you cut today may turn out to be 6'4 215. Keep 10 and play 10.

Oh and that is the reason I kept some of these guys, especially the last 2 or 3. They have size and seem to make the easy basket, but they just don't get it yet. I totally agree. My job isn't to win, but improvement would be nice. I don't see improvement yet. My concern and anger comes from what seems like regression. Going backwards. Overal, I do it for fun. But for some reason the fun seems to be lacking this year.

I'll take all your words in consideration and try to lighten up on practice some more. Maybe try some different techniques since it seems like the ones Im using aren't really working.

Thanks BGP Friends!

Keep plugging the fundamentals. Winning is nice but it shouldn't be the primary goal. Preparing these boys for the future is the most important thing, watching them play on the HS level and seeing them blossom should give you a better feeling than winning the 7th grade league.

Please remember it is about teaching the game of Basketball at that age. My advice is spend 75% working on the basics and 25% on everything else.

If you can't dribble, pass, and catch you can't play the game not matter what offense you run.

I think you are use to coaching kids with skill. Some of my favorite teams I have coached are teams that lacked skill. I was a better coach because I had to teach the basics. A lot of coaches forget the basics.