Coaching Frustration

NKYBOY1487

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a varsity girls coach and I'll offer what I expect of my middle school program.

1.) Everyone learns to play man to man defense. Zones have no place in middle school basketball IMO. If I get players that can play man, its easy to learn how to play a zone.

2.) Everyone learns to handle the ball. Ball handling should be in every practice and even your post players should learn to handle it just like your PG. That post player that is 6'1'' in 7th grade could be 6'1'' as a senior.

3.) Learn to break the press at an early age. Teach a press breaker before you teach offensive plays.

4.) Never cut!!!! There is no way to evaluate a players ability if he/she is only 13 or 14 years old.

5.) I put zero value in winning and losing at the middle school level. When I walk into practice I want to see fundamentals being taught and I want to see players improving.

Do you have any assistant coaches ?

If so write down each players name and beside their name list out their flaws. Have your assistant coaches run the practice while you take each child aside and work individually with them.

I have been down this road before and as was stated by Coach Bucket in an earlier post, I enjoyed it as much as any job. These kids are clean slates and what more could a teacher/coach ask for. Everyone should know that fundementals are the key but you should stress them in all that they do. The "KISS" approach is the best way, focus on where they should be, what they need to do when they get there, and how they need to finish once they do. Break the plays into segments run dummy offense to teach the movement and then insert defenders. For example, If I have a ball screen in a play, a segment may consist of two on two from that spot. Some segments may be 3 on 3 if I want to add teaching the type of pass that is to be made. 4 on 4 if I want to teach weakside movement and help defense. This way you are multitasking for offense and defense and with little time to practice this will be beneficial. When you see something "drastically" wrong stop and teach, when they get close to doing it be excited and praise. Above all set goals that they can achieve for doing these things and PRAISE, Praise, Praise, their efforts for doing so.