Football Banquets/Awards

PureFan

We are changing a lot of things at Greenup this year in regards to how we handle the end of year banquet. I am curious as to how our traditions match up with other schools and also to see if the things we are going to be doing in the future are consistent with other programs.

Highlands is usually pretty informal. Not a lot said. A trophy here and there. Maybe a snack to hold you over till Dinner. :D

But other than that, if you have about 8hrs on the Sunday before the Super Bowl, then go check it out. It really is something special. In all seriousness, someone like Henry can fill you in.

Fort Campbell:

Held at the school. BBQ is served. Each family has to pay for each person attending (to cover the cost of the BBQ catering).

Trophies are given out by position set, and your typical awards line up. Letters and lettermen certificates are given out......then it's on to the rings!

Later.

Highlands is usually pretty informal. Not a lot said. A trophy here and there. Maybe a snack to hold you over till Dinner. :D

But other than that, if you have about 8hrs on the Sunday before the Super Bowl, then go check it out. It really is something special. In all seriousness, someone like Henry can fill you in.

:laugh:

Isn't it a weekend retreat this year? :cool:

In Greenup County over the last few years our banquet has been hosted at the school. We cater in a meal, usually ribs with all the fixens. This year we are going to host it at Greenbo State Park. We are excited about the change in venue. The boys have always been expected to come to the banquet in dress slacks and ties. We will continue that tradition.

Each year we honor our seniors by featuring them in the banquet program (color pictures, bios, future plans, etc.) We also present them with a special trophy and their senior flags. These flags are made at the start of the season and are hung at all games. They are given a highlights film which includes additional senior pictures. They are also given a special gift from the boosters.

Trophies, Letters and letterman chevrons are given out. We have, over the last few years, given letters and trophies to athletes for participation, not performance, i.e. playing time. This is one area that may be changing in the near future. I have mixed feelings about this, (and before it comes up let me state that I do not have a dog in this debate. My son qualifies either way).

This year, players elected teammates for special awards (by position) and these will be given out at the Banquet. I think this is a great way to honor the extra effort given in a variety of positions. Coach will make remarks about each player. We will also have a special guest speaker. The players are given tickets for their immediate family. Additional tickets can be purchased for $5. The boosters also provide invitations and tickets to folks who have helped the team out during the year, such as; our flag staff, the folks who paint the field, the announcer, other sponsors and administrative staff. All the costs related to the Banquet are paid for by the boosters.

So let's hear it, What are your traditions? What changes do you make year-to-year?

Can a Mod set up a poll to see if Highlands has the best banquet, regardless of class?