UK to Music City per Rivals

FormerCawoodTrojan

^ Won't happen....nobody has risen up in the SEC over the years....they have all seemed to be the powers that they are....one may make noise here and there...but the powers are what they are in that league.

I am not saying it would be easy. However I hate it when people say it would be impossible. That UL team a few years ago under Petrino was a team that could have seriously won the SEC. The UC team this year is a team that honestly could have won the SEC this year. I mean that is an example of just two local teams that were able to turn it around and if they were in the SEC would have been one of the best teams. So why is it so impossible to believe that UK couldn't put a team together like that? Brooks has done a great job with our program, especially from where it was at before he took over. However do you honestly see the program getting anywhere close to the level UL had got to while Petrino was there? Do you see UK getting even to the level that Kelly has gotten UC in his short time there? I know I don't see it, and I definitely don't see it if they hire Joker and basically keep things the same. I mean UK can bring in the same kind of talent UC or UL did for those teams, if not better. So why can't UK end up being as good as those teams? Maybe it is because of those coaches were just better and had better schemes for their teams. So I mean why is it so hard to believe that UK couldn't do the same, and then if they could. They honestly have a better chance than those two teams and being able to keep their coach around after success. Yeah it would be hard, but it is not impossible at all and we have two local teams who are perfect examples of that. Petrino and Kelly came in after the guys before they kind of got things off the ground, and those were the perfect guys with their new systems to be able to take the programs to the next level.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather win 3 or 4 in the SEC than win 3 or 4 for the entire year. Personally, the only thing that would make me happier about the UK program is if Ed McMahon rose from the dead, rang my doorbell, and had a large cardboard Publishers Clearinghouse check worth 5 million bones.

I rather have that to compared to what it was in the past. People just don't seem to understand what I am saying. I am not putting down Brooks at all, I think he should be the coach here as long as he wants to be. My problem has to do with what we are doing after Brooks. I think this program once Brooks does retire, will be at a position where it really could take that next big step forward with the right coach in place. I just hate how we already have given the job to Joker, and I think we will just stay at this level. While with someone else I think it could get us to that next step. I just think they should go about hiring the next coach just like any other time. Interview different coaches, and have Joker be one of them. Then if he is really the best guy for the job, then I am all for it. I just don't agree with giving him the job automatically. If he is the best for it then fine, however I just believe that maybe someone else could be better for the program to getting to that next level once Brooks retires.

That UL team a few years ago under Petrino was a team that could have seriously won the SEC. The UC team this year is a team that honestly could have won the SEC this year.

Not a chance and not a chance.

The year Louisville beat Wake in the Orange Bowl, Florida thrashed Ohio State in the National Championship.

BK has said that UC would be able to compete with the likes of Florida and Bama, but couldn't go through the SEC like they have.

The year Louisville beat Wake in the Orange Bowl, Florida thrashed Ohio State in the National Championship.

BK has said that UC would be able to compete with the likes of Florida and Bama, but couldn't go through the SEC like they have.

True.....but Louisville could certainly have played for the SEC championship...and with a healthy Bush...who knows....U of L would be in the west, so that would help.

Ohio State a team that everyone on here except OSU fans know has been overrated the last few years. And what else do you expect BK to say. How often do you hear a coach basically down play other teams and only talk up themselves. You not really ever going to hear a coach say what Florida and Bama did was impressive, but we definitely would do the same thing. I mean honestly outside of Florida and Bama, who in the SEC do you think would have beaten UC this year? I know I don't see anyone, the SEC as whole this year was down. Say if you had switched UC with UK this year. I think maybe UC does lose one game to one of those two teams during the season, but wins the other one. So depending on who they lost to, they very well could have been playing in the SEC Title game this weekend. I am an SEC guy you know that, however the SEC is down this year and really no reason to believe that UC wouldn't have won the rest of their games in the SEC. However no coach is just going to come out and say that though. I mean especially say if UC does squak into the title game. That would be bulletin board material for that team, having the coach saying well we could have went through that league undefeated too.

Yes I do, and whats so crazy about thinking that? Why can't they eventually be as talented compared to the rest of the SEC. We see smaller teams in other conferences who end up becoming as talented as a lot of the teams in the SEC. TCU is more talented than everyone in the SEC besides maybe Alabama or Florida. UC has managed to put a very talented team together that would be more talented right now than a lot of the SEC teams and probably at worst would be the third best team in the SEC this year, if not the best team. UL a few years ago put together a team that was just as talented as the top SEC teams. West Virginia under Rich Rodriguez was able to make themselves as talented as SEC teams, and even beat our top ones when it really mattered. Those are just some examples of teams being able to put talent together that ended up being as good as SEC teams and better than most of them. What is the one thing they all had in common? They all ended up bringing in what was the best top up and coming coach as they could, and it did get them to that next level. There is no reason to believe that UK couldn't do the same thing. UK has a lot of selling points, one of them being that they are in the SEC. There is one thing different though about UK that UK also has going for them more than those teams. If a coach could come in here and get us up to that next level even for a year or two, our chances of losing that coach aren't as good as it was for West Virginia, UL, or UC. If a coach could get this team to the next level and really in contention for the SEC title. He is not as likely to leave as those guys, because he is already in the best conference in America and having success. So he would know if win it, he will definitely be playing in the title game. So it might not be just some flash in the pan success for a year or two. It could be something that would last, because a coach would be as likely to leave here as those places. Then just having a year or two of very good success like that, would get top players wanting to come here. Now that is something that would then really could get this program going and staying on top.

I guess now I really do see the point though of why most of my fellow UK fans are just fine with how things are. You all just don't think that UK can take that next step, and have accepted things for as they are now. To think that this team can't get to the next level with the right things in place is just crazy IMO.

No. You're missing the point. It's not the starting talent that makes a program. Sure TCU has a better starting core than say LSU, but from top to bottom I'd say LSU is probably alot more talented. LSU going forward will probably continue to have more success. Same for much of the top of the SEC. What you are saying is that UK could make a run, which I buy. I think had Woodson and Co. had a defense they could have made a run. But that doesn't make you as a program or keep you at that level. UK, IMO could never sustain that level of success as a program.

UK cannot take the next step IMO. They can never be Georgia or Ole Miss. They can though, continue to win and maybe build toward a team that is a legit threat to take the SEC East and maybe entire SEC for a year or two. It's too hard to rise in the SEC. Even with most teams are down like this year, you still have a few that are very Elite.

The Tebow, Julio Jones, Matt Stafford kind of guys just aren't going to go to UK either. That hurts UK. Sure UK has done better and closed the gap, but there isn't much more room for improvement. I love the enthusiasm but let's be realistic. UK, UNC, Indiana, Duke, UCLA fight uphill battles as well because they only care about BBall.

I am not saying it would be easy. However I hate it when people say it would be impossible. That UL team a few years ago under Petrino was a team that could have seriously won the SEC. The UC team this year is a team that honestly could have won the SEC this year. I mean that is an example of just two local teams that were able to turn it around and if they were in the SEC would have been one of the best teams. So why is it so impossible to believe that UK couldn't put a team together like that? Brooks has done a great job with our program, especially from where it was at before he took over. However do you honestly see the program getting anywhere close to the level UL had got to while Petrino was there? Do you see UK getting even to the level that Kelly has gotten UC in his short time there? I know I don't see it, and I definitely don't see it if they hire Joker and basically keep things the same. I mean UK can bring in the same kind of talent UC or UL did for those teams, if not better. So why can't UK end up being as good as those teams? Maybe it is because of those coaches were just better and had better schemes for their teams. So I mean why is it so hard to believe that UK couldn't do the same, and then if they could. They honestly have a better chance than those two teams and being able to keep their coach around after success. Yeah it would be hard, but it is not impossible at all and we have two local teams who are perfect examples of that. Petrino and Kelly came in after the guys before they kind of got things off the ground, and those were the perfect guys with their new systems to be able to take the programs to the next level.

None of those teams mentioned could or would have won the SEC IMO. U of L got beat by Rutgers. Sure it was a good Rutgers team but can you realistically compare them to UGA or Bama? Those teams have the advantage of two things as well:

a. They are in the Big East. No Florida Gators there I don't think.

b. They are stepping stone jobs, where UK sort of is, but not to the same degree. UC, Louisville, and WVU are places where you can go and have instant success because of the League. UK success comes harder. Dan Mullen had great success IMO at MSU this season and only won 5 games. It's hard to get looked at like that and coaches know it.

And what does UK have to offer? Playing time? Well the Elite guys are going to play regardless, ask Percy Harvin or Julio Jones. And playing time doesn't matter if no one is watching, see how underrated Cobb is nationally.

I rather have that to compared to what it was in the past. People just don't seem to understand what I am saying. I am not putting down Brooks at all, I think he should be the coach here as long as he wants to be. My problem has to do with what we are doing after Brooks. I think this program once Brooks does retire, will be at a position where it really could take that next big step forward with the right coach in place. I just hate how we already have given the job to Joker, and I think we will just stay at this level. While with someone else I think it could get us to that next step. I just think they should go about hiring the next coach just like any other time. Interview different coaches, and have Joker be one of them. Then if he is really the best guy for the job, then I am all for it. I just don't agree with giving him the job automatically. If he is the best for it then fine, however I just believe that maybe someone else could be better for the program to getting to that next level once Brooks retires.

I see what you're saying, I really do. I just can't buy UK ever being Elite in Football. Too many factors working against it and really no reason for it to ever get big.

True.....but Louisville could certainly have played for the SEC championship...and with a healthy Bush...who knows....U of L would be in the west, so that would help.

That is my whole point here. I mean we have two local teams who were able to put good enough teams together with the right coach taking over, to where they honestly would have competed in the SEC and definitely done better than the 3 SEC wins UK is currently at every year. So I just don't see why people seem to think it is impossible for UK to do the same. All three situations are very similar. UL and UC had coaches who kind of brought their programs back up in John L. Smith and Danatoni, just like Brooks with UK. However it took other coaches like Petrino and Kelly to get the programs to the next level once those guys left. I don't think that would have happened if the guys before them never left. A coach really does make a huge difference, and could be the thing to get a team over the top. I see UK being basically in that same situation once Brooks retires. However I think just by giving it to Joker, will basically just keep us where we are at instead of maybe taking that next step. I just would like for them to go through the process, and if he is really the best guy for the job after that. Then I am perfectly fine with it.

Ohio State a team that everyone on here except OSU fans know has been overrated the last few years. And what else do you expect BK to say. How often do you hear a coach basically down play other teams and only talk up themselves. You not really ever going to hear a coach say what Florida and Bama did was impressive, but we definitely would do the same thing. I mean honestly outside of Florida and Bama, who in the SEC do you think would have beaten UC this year? I know I don't see anyone, the SEC as whole this year was down. Say if you had switched UC with UK this year. I think maybe UC does lose one game to one of those two teams during the season, but wins the other one. So depending on who they lost to, they very well could have been playing in the SEC Title game this weekend. I am an SEC guy you know that, however the SEC is down this year and really no reason to believe that UC wouldn't have won the rest of their games in the SEC. However no coach is just going to come out and say that though. I mean especially say if UC does squak into the title game. That would be bulletin board material for that team, having the coach saying well we could have went through that league undefeated too.

Actually, nobody thought OSU was overrated until that title game. That was the year of Troy Smith being Heisman, OSU being undefeated and people crying for an OSU/Michigan rematch in the title game. That game sparked the overrated talk of OSU and the Big 10.

The list of teams in the SEC that could beat UC is long. Georgia and South Carolina are down and pulled off some nice wins this past weekend. LSU and Ole Miss would have more than just a chance at it. Auburn, UT and even UK could give UC fits on a given day. That is the point really. They couldn't have gone undefeated in the conference, which is what BK agreed with. They don't have the depth to do so.

UC could have lost to any team not named Vandy in the SEC.

I see what you're saying, I really do. I just can't buy UK ever being Elite in Football. Too many factors working against it and really no reason for it to ever get big.

You know what maybe they won't ever be "elite" like program like the Florida's, Bama's, etc. However they could be a consistently top 25 team, and team every few years or so really could make a run for the SEC crown. That is not impossible at all. That is my whole point with the UC and UL things. With the teams they had put together they could have done that with Petrino and now Kelly at UC. The only difference is if someone can do that at UK, we have a much better chance of being able to keep him here than they do. Which if then if we can keep staying as a constant top 25 team and making runs at the SEC every few years. We slowly would steal some top recruits sometimes, and would go from there.

As I have said I am not against Brooks. He should stay UK's coach as long as he wants. I do think we kind of have reached a peak with him, however considering where we were at before he took over, thats not such a bad thing. Its when he retires, is when I think this team really could take that next step, and be a team that does win more than just 3 SEC games a year and could be a team that is in the top 25 more times than not. However at this pace I don't see that happening, and I don't see that happening by having Joker as coach and keeping things the same. I think keeping things the same will just keep us at the same average level we are at now. So my main problem is I just am against having a coach in waiting. I think that is a very dumb idea. Go through the interview process, and maybe you will find someone who would be better for this program and could get this program to take the next step. If that guy is still Joker and he really is the best candidate and would be the best option for the program then fine. I just think when Brooks retires that it is a very pivotal moment for the UK program. It could end up taking that next step up, or basically staying on the same level ground and possibly going back down. Once Brooks retires go through the process and then make a decision after interviewing people. I think that would be the best and smart thing for UK to do. That also doesn't mean that Joker wouldn't end up as coach after it all said and done. If he would be the best guy for it, then he would still get it.

Actually, nobody thought OSU was overrated until that title game. That was the year of Troy Smith being Heisman, OSU being undefeated and people crying for an OSU/Michigan rematch in the title game. That game sparked the overrated talk of OSU and the Big 10.

The list of teams in the SEC that could beat UC is long. Georgia and South Carolina are down and pulled off some nice wins this past weekend. LSU and Ole Miss would have more than just a chance at it. Auburn, UT and even UK could give UC fits on a given day. That is the point really. They couldn't have gone undefeated in the conference, which is what BK agreed with. They don't have the depth to do so.

UC could have lost to any team not named Vandy in the SEC.

There are also teams in the Big East that you could say that could have also beaten Florida or Bama. Florida and Bama have both been less than impressive in a few games this year in the SEC, and maybe one of those teams in the Big East would have taken more advantage of it than those teams did.

Also I am a UK fan, however UK IMO wouldn't even come close to beating UC. I think it would have been an ugly game just like the Florida game for UK. UC would score a lot against us, while as we have seen our offense wouldnt have.

You know what maybe they won't ever be "elite" like program like the Florida's, Bama's, etc. However they could be a consistently top 25 team, and team every few years or so really could make a run for the SEC crown. That is not impossible at all. That is my whole point with the UC and UL things. With the teams they had put together they could have done that with Petrino and now Kelly at UC. The only difference is if someone can do that at UK, we have a much better chance of being able to keep him here than they do. Which if then if we can keep staying as a constant top 25 team and making runs at the SEC every few years. We slowly would steal some top recruits sometimes, and would go from there.

I don't know if you have noticed, but neither UC or UL has consistently been a Top 25 team. Look at where Louisville is now... one of the worst teams in a BCS conference and that is in the Big Easy.

There are also teams in the Big East that you could say that could have also beaten Florida or Bama. Florida and Bama have both been less than impressive in a few games this year in the SEC, and maybe one of those teams in the Big East would have taken more advantage of it than those teams did.

Also I am a UK fan, however UK IMO wouldn't even come close to beating UC. I think it would have been an ugly game just like the Florida game for UK. UC would score a lot against us, while as we have seen our offense wouldnt have.

Florida and Bama ran the table in the SEC this year. Even if it is a "down" year, it is light years ahead of the Big East this year. Pretty poor argument.

I don't know if you have noticed, but neither UC or UL has consistently been a Top 25 team. Look at where Louisville is now... one of the worst teams in a BCS conference and that is in the Big Easy.

I don't know if you have noticed, but I talked about with the coaches they have or in UL's case the coach they had. I mean do you honestly believe UL would be in the shape they are now if Petrino was still there? If he was still there they probably would have still been a top 25 team every year still. If Kelly does leave UC, then we probably will see them fall off some. Which is exactly what I am saying with all this. A coach really does make all the difference in a team taking that next step, or a team not taking a step at all or even going back a step. So thanks for helping me make my point that a coach can make all the difference if a team takes that next step. :thumb:

I don't know if you have noticed, but I talked about with the coaches they have or in UL's case the coach they had. I mean do you honestly believe UL would be in the shape they are now if Petrino was still there? If he was still there they probably would have still been a top 25 team every year still. If Kelly does leave UC, then we probably will see them fall off some. Which is exactly what I am saying with all this. A coach really does make all the difference in a team taking that next step, or a team not taking a step at all or even going back a step. So thanks for helping me make my point that a coach can make all the difference if a team takes that next step. :thumb:

I still don't see your point. A coach that has that much success at a program like the three we are talking about, inevitably moves on to a bigger and better job. How do you suggest continued success at that level when there are more enticing jobs out there for coaches like that?