Mr. Basketball Favorites?

The only one that shut Sewell down was Sewell! Picked up several early fouls that took him out of the game and I don't remember them being against Johnson.

I thought Johnson did have a very solid game.

Sewell is not an explosive scorer. He won't win Mr. Basketball with scoring. It'll be his versatility and solid stat lines. He's very team oriented and does what his coaches ask of him. All great qualities, but those don't necessarily match the qualities used to pick a Mr. Basketball.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look for Justice to win Mr. Basketball. In years past, when the mountains have a great player he takes a boat load of votes. The other sections of the state are loaded with talent which should cause a split in votes. These are just a few examples of past Mr. Basketball winners from the mountains. Please add if I left a player out of this list since the 80's.

(JR. Vanhoose, Charles Thomas, and Richie Farmer).

I think Mr. Basketball comes down to R. Jphnson, Pittman, Guyn, or Justice.

Pittman and R. Johnson will have a little bit of an advantage over the other two guys as Coach Henley has his team playing all over the state this year which means more exposure amongst the voters and writers. Their track record over the past two years speaks for itself. BUT, when you have two of the top 3 players in the state, it's obviously going to cause a split in votes.

Despite a slow start, I expect Guyn to pick things up and be Scott Co's msst impressive player this year. If he has to run the point though, it hurts his chances IMO because he simply isn't a natural pg.

Justice will receive a lot of votes from the EKY faithful but can he get enough votes to win over the other 3 mentioned? Coach Booher didn't really schedule anyone this year outside of EKY and the only quality in state team they play is Christian Co. I really like Justice but I don't see him winning the award. I don't think it will be from a lack of talent, but rather a lack of exposure around the state.

Can't wait to see how things unfold as the season progresses.