Obesity Tax

I have a family member that does just what you say and is on disability and you and I are supporting their habit through our tax dollars.

They said they had a glandular problem. I guess the glandular problem is their body cannot compensate for the whole pies they down at one setting.

And I am tired of paying for them to stay home and play Internet card games all night and day since they are disabled from their job that was having them work on the computer all day.

:laugh:

THAT was funny! :lol:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your tax dollars shouldn't be paying one dime of some else's insurance premiums to start with. And I am not convinced it will at this point. So what is the point in discussing something that isn't happening and doesn't look like is going to happen in the immediate future?

So again, the answer isn't to tax something to death. The answer is to make people be responsible for theirselves. If they can't quit downing 8000 calories a day then so be it. They won't be able to afford their twinkies because they will need the money for premiums.

So, if and when, the Democrats push this through, you ready to change your position since we will be paying for it?

And why could they not, since they have a majority to do it.

I have a family member that does just what you say and is on disability and you and I are supporting their habit through our tax dollars.

They said they had a glandular problem. I guess the glandular problem is their body cannot compensate for the whole pies they down at one setting.

And I am tired of paying for them to stay home and play Internet card games all night and day since they are disabled from their job that was having them work on the computer all day.

I agree 100% and also agree with Pep...that is funny right there, everyone in my office thinks I'm crazy now.

To respond to your point, the fact that you can get disability for just about anything these days is a different topic. Being a fat lazy slob isn't a disability. Glandular problems, in my opinion, are like ADD...way over diagnosed. I don't doubt there is are people with health issues that contribute to their being over weight. But most of what contributes to their being over weight is exactly what your so tactfully said above. Put down the cream horns and do some push ups.

So, if and when, the Democrats push this through, you ready to change your position since we will be paying for it?

And why could they not, since they have a majority to do it.

Right now I do not think the dems will get anything done. There are 5 bills floating around and no one in the party can agree on any of them.

To play along though if they do pass some form of bill that cause my tax dollars to pay for others insurance I would not have one problem with a 200% tax on junk food.

I guess it would be reasonable to place the expectations of controlled body weight on the people who are receiving government assisted healthcare. However for me...I pay a pretty hefty premium already for a family of four. I feel my lifestyle is not open for their judgement or scrutiny whether or not I should pay more than you. Don't up the premiums increase the deductibles.

I guess it would be reasonable to place the expectations of controlled body weight on the people who are receiving government assisted healthcare. However for me...I pay a pretty hefty premium already for a family of four. I feel my lifestyle is not open for their judgement or scrutiny whether or not I should pay more than you. Don't up the premiums increase the deductibles.

And then the argument will be about how people can't afford the deductibles on health care.

I see that alot of people are in favor of increasing the tax on a perceived "unhealthy food". I guess in this category most breakfast cereals would qualify as would most granola bars and every other processed food that may have a reasonable health benefit, but because the government will not stop at twinkies and hohos, there will be a generalization. Alot of foods that you wouldn't believe would qualify for this tax. But try to remember that alot of these items are used in schools, hospitals, daycares, nursing homes, etc....to increase the tax on this level will now have an effect on so many other areas. I don't believe this is the answer, obesity cannot be the sole reason the healthcare is in the shape it is currently in. If a person is consuming too many calories a day for other reasons unknown then they can still consume too much by eating too much fruits, vegetables and other "healthy foods".

Probably wouldn't work. Insurance companies look at it from a risk stand point. Overweight people are a higher risk group. Just making them pay $500 more in deductibles isn't going to cover the higher cost of providing them insurance. To be honest, increasing the premiums a few thousand per year probably wouldn't either.

Well that is just ridiculous and something like Olbermann or Beck would say to be ridiculous instead of actually discussing the point.

If you participate in unhealthy lifestyles that will cost the government money and meaning more taxes on me, you should have a higher cost on those unhealthy lifestyle choices.

That is about personal responsibility. You choose that unhealthy lifestyle AND YOU should have to burden that cost.

The point should be that the government should stay out of the health care business, except for maybe and as a last resort, those who are mentally or phyiscally disabled. I have no problem with insurance companies charging more for those who smoke or are overweight.

And my point is no more ridculous than what the government will do if they pass Pelosi's or Reed's health care bill.

You guys act like this isn't done in some manner already.

Isn't certain groceries tax exempt while others like soft drinks and the like taxed????

I think I would look at SAVING money by eliminating things like chips and sodas from eligibility with food stamps. Seriously...the people with food stamps where I shop buy tons of that stuff! Not only is our tax money going to pay for junk food, but then additional tax dollars go toward healthcare for people who don't eat right.

I think I would look at SAVING money by eliminating things like chips and sodas from eligibility with food stamps. Seriously...the people with food stamps where I shop buy tons of that stuff! Not only is our tax money going to pay for junk food, but then additional tax dollars go toward healthcare for people who don't eat right.

I didn't think you could buy that stuff with food stamps now, but I am most likely wrong. If you can then I agree, you shouldn't be able to.

I didn't think you could buy that stuff with food stamps now, but I am most likely wrong. If you can then I agree, you shouldn't be able to.

As far as I know you can. WIC is the only program with nutrition restrictions that I know of.