Is the Bengals defense ready to go to the next level?

My fault, I get confused on who are Bengal fans and who are not. So many Bengal fans on here put down their own team all the time, its hard to tell. I guess I should have looked at your avatar haha.

I'm not a Steelers fan either. I lost a bet.

I like the Bengals. But, I'm a Titans fan.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ward is a very good all around player like you said. Holmes has not been that big of a disappointment, and actually has had a pretty good season up until he played the Bengals. They have a real good threat as a 3rd receiver in Mike Wallace. The reason why the Steelers have struggled running the ball some, because when teams play them that is what teams try to stop. They know the Steelers are going to try to force their will on you and run the ball. So teams gear up to try to stop that, and that is what opens it up for big plays. Pittsburgh runs the play clock down almost every single play, so they use a lot of the clock up. So even if they don't end up scoring they have used a lot of the clock. So that shortens the game, and almost means less yardage to get for their offense. I mean you see top offenses get shut down sometimes when they play a great defense, however Pittsburgh still finds ways to move the ball against great defenses and score points still when these so called top offense have a hard time with that. I mean you can just look at Baltimore every year. Baltimore usually slows down and stops all these top offenses. However Pittsburgh offense usually has pretty good success against them. Their offense is not an easy offense to stop at all, and will move the ball and just play to their philosophy. If they actually opened it up and didn't use the same old Pittsburgh philosophy, then you might see that team having stats like the top offenses.

Hey, if you want to believe the Steelers have a good offense, I can't stop you. I can just tell you the facts.

Stats don't show that the Bengals have played three playoff contenders in close games and are 2-1. The Bengals D has made some big plays in the fourth quarter to help them close out games... something they haven't done in the past. Not saying that they are for sure a Top 10 defense, but they are on the right track.

Stats don't show that the Bengals have played three playoff contenders in close games and are 2-1. The Bengals D has made some big plays in the fourth quarter to help them close out games... something they haven't done in the past. Not saying that they are for sure a Top 10 defense, but they are on the right track.

:thumb:

I can go with that. They're getting there and they may get there soon. But, I'm not ready to anoint them yet. I think they're getting credit for being better than they actually are because the defense in Cincinnati has been so abysmal for basically two decades.

Still not giving the defense any credit. You do realize that this Pittsburgh offense beat that great Baltimore's defense 3 times last year. They moved the ball on that defense as well. Even great defenses don't shut down teams all the time, especially other good teams.

What from yesterday's game makes you believe that they are ready to make the jump to "Elite" status. They are above average, borderline good, but if you can't get off the field, you will get beat more often that than not. A lot of that had to do w/ the inability to cover the TE (their safety's are really bad in coverage). Additionally, how many times can you get beat on quick slants?

My question is do you all still really think that this is not a top 10 defense? I mean last year they were a top 12 defense, and they are better this year. So how can you honestly say they are not a top 10 defense. If you do want to say that, then name 10 defenses better than them?

They have the benefit of playing Cleveland twice. That alone may catapulte them into the top 10.

My question is do you all still really think that this is not a top 10 defense? I mean last year they were a top 12 defense, and they are better this year. So how can you honestly say they are not a top 10 defense. If you do want to say that, then name 10 defenses better than them?

17th overall. 26th against the pass. 14th against the rush. We'll get a real good gauge this weekend.

Baltimore is 3rd in offense.

17th overall. 26th against the pass. 14th against the rush. We'll get a real good gauge this weekend.

Baltimore is 3rd in offense.

Huge game this weekend.

As always, I'm pulling for a Bengals W; however, I'd be content with a good showing on the road against a very, very good team.

Huge game this weekend.

As always, I'm pulling for a Bengals W; however, I'd be content with a good showing on the road against a very, very good team.

I agree. Baltimore is 1st against the rush and 23rd against the pass. So it looks like the Bengals should pass to set up the run.

I agree. Baltimore is 1st against the rush and 23rd against the pass. So it looks like the Bengals should pass to set up the run.

I hope they realize we can't run the ball against Baltimore. Even though we are trying to change our identity on offense, the only way we can beat Baltimore is if we open it up against them. Henry made some huge 3rd down catches last game and has to be the most talented 4th receiver in the league. If we line up and try to run right at them, it is going to get ugly.

I hope they realize we can't run the ball against Baltimore. Even though we are trying to change our identity on offense, the only way we can beat Baltimore is if we open it up against them. Henry made some huge 3rd down catches last game and has to be the most talented 4th receiver in the league. If we line up and try to run right at them, it is going to get ugly.

Is Henry in his last year of the contract? I hope not because he definitely will leave after this year, because on any other team he would be at worst the #2 receiver on the team. The Bengals have to start playing him more, the whole offense is better when he plays. There is a reason why the offense is so good under 2 minutes in halfs, its because they are actually playing Henry then.

Is Henry in his last year of the contract? I hope not because he definitely will leave after this year, because on any other team he would be at worst the #2 receiver on the team. The Bengals have to start playing him more, the whole offense is better when he plays. There is a reason why the offense is so good under 2 minutes in halfs, its because they are actually playing Henry then.

From what I've heard, he's been hurt and has missed some practice throughout the week, I don't think it's a talent issue.