Is the Bengals defense ready to go to the next level?

I like what I'm seeing from the Bengals defense. I love how physical they play. I've felt like the secondary was good for at least two seasons now, but the front four put too much pressure on them. With no pressure, it doesn't matter who is covering the WR's.

Back-to-back SC linebackers in the draft has transformed that unit.

It still comes down to the D-line. And, I'm still not sold on it.

Words of caution...

Odom had a huge day against Green Bay, but their o-line has been really bad thus far. And, the other two opponents, Denver and Pittsburgh are not great offensive football teams.

The Bengals do have a defense that can keep them in games and make plays for them. But, I think this group is a dominating DT away from putting the big boy pants on.

I want to see them play a couple of games against explosive offenses. And, they need to sustain it for longer than 3 weeks before they get anointed.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what I'm seeing from the Bengals defense. I love how physical they play. I've felt like the secondary was good for at least two seasons now, but the front four put too much pressure on them. With no pressure, it doesn't matter who is covering the WR's.

Back-to-back SC linebackers in the draft has transformed that unit.

It still comes down to the D-line. And, I'm still not sold on it.

Words of caution...

Odom had a huge day against Green Bay, but their o-line has been really bad thus far. And, the other two opponents, Denver and Pittsburgh are not great offensive football teams.

The Bengals do have a defense that can keep them in games and make plays for them. But, I think this group is a dominating DT away from putting the big boy pants on.

I want to see them play a couple of games against explosive offenses. And, they need to sustain it for longer than 3 weeks before they get anointed.

I think Pittsburgh offense is A LOT more better than you are giving them credit for. They have played three good defenses in the first three weeks of the year in the Titans, Bears and the Bengals. So obviously they are not going to look dominate on offense against those teams...Now I do agree with you about not being sold on the front four year. However I think they are still a dominate DE away from really being good. While what Odom did against Green Bay was great. I am still looking to see if he can consistently put pressure on the QB all season. I hope he does though, and we need more from Geathers still. However no matter what this team is definitely getting more pressure than normal and its definitely helping! :thumb:

My question is do you all still really think that this is not a top 10 defense? I mean last year they were a top 12 defense, and they are better this year. So how can you honestly say they are not a top 10 defense. If you do want to say that, then name 10 defenses better than them?

My question is do you all still really think that this is not a top 10 defense? I mean last year they were a top 12 defense, and they are better this year. So how can you honestly say they are not a top 10 defense. If you do want to say that, then name 10 defenses better than them?

I think they are close. The stat in which defenses are ranked by is yds/game. As stated earlier in this thread, the Bengals D was tasked by having to defend a "short" field due to ineptness of the offense. This would kind of skew the stat in favor of the Bengals D. That being said, I will agree, they are improved.

I think Pittsburgh offense is A LOT more better than you are giving them credit for. They have played three good defenses in the first three weeks of the year in the Titans, Bears and the Bengals. So obviously they are not going to look dominate on offense against those teams...Now I do agree with you about not being sold on the front four year. However I think they are still a dominate DE away from really being good. While what Odom did against Green Bay was great. I am still looking to see if he can consistently put pressure on the QB all season. I hope he does though, and we need more from Geathers still. However no matter what this team is definitely getting more pressure than normal and its definitely helping! :thumb:

The Steelers were 22nd in the league in total offense last year (17th in passing, 23rd in rushing). They aren't a good offensive football team. They just have a playmaker at QB who makes a few big plays and almost always delivers in the clutch when the game is tight. Since they have a great defense, that recipe is enough to win a majority of their games.

I think they are close. The stat in which defenses are ranked by is yds/game. As stated earlier in this thread, the Bengals D was tasked by having to defend a "short" field due to ineptness of the offense. This would kind of skew the stat in favor of the Bengals D. That being said, I will agree, they are improved.

You watched the same team that I did last year. The offense last year was almost three and out everytime. So being on the field all game, and having to stop the opposing offense all game, kinda out weighs the short field stuff. You really amaze me how your a Bengal fan, yet you really just put them down more than anything. Even the good things, you put them down.

The Steelers were 22nd in the league in total offense last year (17th in passing, 23rd in rushing). They aren't a good offensive football team. They just have a playmaker at QB who makes a few big plays and almost always delivers in the clutch when the game is tight. Since they have a great defense, that recipe is enough to win a majority of their games.

The Steelers as a offense are not going to score quick and just go up and down the field. So their stats wont show up like the other ones.. However that offense is very hard to stop, with how they do things. I mean that offense probably could be one of the tops in the league, if they used a philosophy like the other top offenses.

You watched the same team that I did last year. The offense last year was almost three and out everytime. So being on the field all game, and having to stop the opposing offense all game, kinda out weighs the short field stuff. You really amaze me how your a Bengal fan, yet you really just put them down more than anything. Even the good things, you put them down.

How's that putting them down? I just don't believe the team defense stat is all that great a stat. JMO.

I don't view them as a top 10 defense right now. Why should I? After 3 weeks, they'll rate, at best, 16th in the NFL statistically.

Broncos, Giants, Jets, Vikings, Eagles, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Bears, Saints, Seahawks, Colts, Panthers, 49ers, Chargers, and Redskins all currently rate ahead of Cincy in yards per game allowed. That puts the Bengals at #17.

The Bengals currently rate #13 is points allowed per game.

There's no reason to think they're a top 10 defense right now because they aren't.

The Steelers as a offense are not going to score quick and just go up and down the field. So their stats wont show up like the other ones.. However that offense is very hard to stop, with how they do things. I mean that offense probably could be one of the tops in the league, if they used a philosophy like the other top offenses.

They're not a good offense. Who do they have that scares people other than Roethlisberger? They've been awful running the ball for two seasons now (but they did fare better against Cincinnati). They don't have any studs at WR...Ward is a great, all-around WR, but he's not a game-changer. Other than the Super Bowl, Santonio Holmes has largely been a disappointment. It doesn't say much for Mendenhall that he can't supplant Parker. Sweed looks like a bust. The line gets some unjust criticism thanks to Big Ben, but it's still not a great unit.

Rookie Mike Wallace may be their best big play threat.

They're just not that good. They rely on a dominant defense and a one-of-a-kind, clutch QB to win football games.

I don't view them as a top 10 defense right now. Why should I? After 3 weeks, they'll rate, at best, 16th in the NFL statistically.

Broncos, Giants, Jets, Vikings, Eagles, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Bears, Saints, Seahawks, Colts, Panthers, 49ers, Chargers, and Redskins all currently rate ahead of Cincy in yards per game allowed. That puts the Bengals at #17.

The Bengals currently rate #13 is points allowed per game.

There's no reason to think they're a top 10 defense right now because they aren't.

So you really think the Patriots, Saints, Chargers, Panthers, and Colts all have better defenses? I have watched all those teams play this year, and I would not take any of their defenses over the Bengals right now. I just love how Bengal fans, can't even give their own team credit when they actually are good at something. Its like people are afraid to admit that this team actually might be pretty good.

So you really think the Patriots, Saints, Chargers, Panthers, and Colts all have better defenses? I have watched all those teams play this year, and I would not take any of their defenses over the Bengals right now. I just love how Bengal fans, can't even give their own team credit when they actually are good at something. Its like people are afraid to admit that this team actually might be pretty good.

I wasn't aware I was a Bengals fan. :idunno:

They're not a good offense. Who do they have that scares people other than Roethlisberger? They've been awful running the ball for two seasons now (but they did fare better against Cincinnati). They don't have any studs at WR...Ward is a great, all-around WR, but he's not a game-changer. Other than the Super Bowl, Santonio Holmes has largely been a disappointment. It doesn't say much for Mendenhall that he can't supplant Parker. Sweed looks like a bust. The line gets some unjust criticism thanks to Big Ben, but it's still not a great unit.

Rookie Mike Wallace may be their best big play threat.

They're just not that good. They rely on a dominant defense and a one-of-a-kind, clutch QB to win football games.

Ward is a very good all around player like you said. Holmes has not been that big of a disappointment, and actually has had a pretty good season up until he played the Bengals. They have a real good threat as a 3rd receiver in Mike Wallace. The reason why the Steelers have struggled running the ball some, because when teams play them that is what teams try to stop. They know the Steelers are going to try to force their will on you and run the ball. So teams gear up to try to stop that, and that is what opens it up for big plays. Pittsburgh runs the play clock down almost every single play, so they use a lot of the clock up. So even if they don't end up scoring they have used a lot of the clock. So that shortens the game, and almost means less yardage to get for their offense. I mean you see top offenses get shut down sometimes when they play a great defense, however Pittsburgh still finds ways to move the ball against great defenses and score points still when these so called top offense have a hard time with that. I mean you can just look at Baltimore every year. Baltimore usually slows down and stops all these top offenses. However Pittsburgh offense usually has pretty good success against them. Their offense is not an easy offense to stop at all, and will move the ball and just play to their philosophy. If they actually opened it up and didn't use the same old Pittsburgh philosophy, then you might see that team having stats like the top offenses.

I don't know that there's a huge difference between those defenses and Cincinnati.

I don't believe everything I hear in the media. All we've heard is how New England has a bad defense, but the numbers don't support that. They had one bad game against Buffalo. New England has played Buffalo, NY Jets, and Atlanta...they're allowing 262 ypg and 16.7 ppg. Does that sound like a bad defense to you? And, they're playing without their best LB.

The Panthers were 12-4 and had a strong defense last year. The Colts are built to play with a lead, so they can look real good or real bad. San Diego has talent, but aren't playing to their potential. And, the Saints are a much improved defense (the Bengals aren't the only team that's allowed to turn it around defensively).

All I know is that they are statistically better than the Bengals right now, and you can't say the Bengals have played high powered offenses to skew the numbers.