Who follows Pitino at UL?

Original Rookie

Yeah I wouldn't go after Weber now that I think about it really, I forgot that Bill Self was the guy that got Dee Brown and Deron Williams. Another guy to throw out would be Brad Stevens from Butler, I'm just trying to think of coaches that are at programs that aren't as heralded or are even with Louisville.

I was just wanting to know, I don't really get involved in a lot of the UK/Louisville fan arguments so I didn't know what you meant.

That wasn't meant as a slight on UofL by the way, I think it's just unrealistic to expect to go after the Roy Williams', Coach K's and other coaches that are more than likely never going to leave their respective schools, whether it be UK, UofL, Morehead State or any other school that BGPer's follow.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't meant as a slight on UofL by the way, I think it's just unrealistic to expect to go after the Roy Williams', Coach K's and other coaches that are more than likely never going to leave their respective schools, whether it be UK, UofL, Morehead State or any other school that BGPer's follow.

I knew what you meant. :thumb:

Pitino was / is his mentor. I think the Kentucky job had him intrigued, but he decided not to go. I think Louisville could offer more money than Florida & the Big East is a deeper basketball conference than the SEC. In the SEC, football will remain king. Basketball is the king in the Big East. Also, Florida & Kentucky are rivals. Florida & Louisville are not.

I could see him staying at Florida, but I think he'd do well in Louisville.

Isn't Billy D one of the highest paid coaches in the country? He was making more money than Urban Meyer for a while there. If U of L could pay more it wouldn't be by much.

Top 5

1. Coach Cal - Recruiter

2. Billy D. - Good Coach and recruiter

3. Reggie Theus - good recruiter and up and comer

4. Bob Huggins - wins no matter where he goes

5. Izzo - He is a winner

Good luck with the bolded 3. I guess Cal was a joke, at least I hope it was. Even if you thought that UK and UofL were even in terms of program tradition (obviously they're not) just looking at the current roster and interested recruits for the next few years it would be crazy for Cal to leave for another program.

Huggs is building his kind of team, AT his alma mater. Not coming to UofL, actually I think WVU will be better than Louisville in the future, especially with this garbage going on.

Izzo? Once again I hope this was a joke. MSU > Louisville.

No Roy Williams? Billy D. at 2?

I think this was a joke as well. I really hope so, because if some of these names are being seriously mentioned U of L basketball is in for a meltdown. Roy Williams will not leave UNC (his team), for anyone. He is a UNC man, they are the best program in America today, and he's well paid and has a great fanbase. What could UofL, or any other program give him that he would want more?

If U of L gets rid of Pitino now, most likely the will have to use an interim coach, because most coaches are going to leave their programs in August to start a new job.

If Pitino were to leave, UofL would have their pick. They are at the top of one of the best leagues in the country, they got a good roster, and they are moving into a new facility next year. Plus they are willing to pay $.

Jurich, aside from Kraggers, has hit homerun after homerun in picking his coaches at UofL. I have full confidence that he'd do it again. I've heard him say before, he's always got the next one in the fold.

:lol:

Laugh if you want, but U of L isn't exactly that elite of a program when you compare them to the real powers of college basketball. They are NOT UCLA, UNC, UK, Duke, Kansas, UCONN, or even someone like Syracuse. Michigan State is > than U of L. U of L has two titles, and they happened 20+ years ago. Michigan State has two titles as well, with one coming this decade. Also this decade they have went to 5 final fours. That comes when mighty U of L has only been to the Final Four once since their title in 1986. Live in the 80's if you want but today Michigan State is the better program, basketball wise in recent years. It's close but I don't think if Izzo wasn't interested in the UK job that he would want the U of L job. Izzo has a nice job, and he is the king in Spartan Country.

Laugh if you want, but it's not like U of L is a great step up from MSU.

If Pitino were to leave, UofL would have their pick. They are at the top of one of the best leagues in the country, they got a good roster, and they are moving into a new facility next year. Plus they are willing to pay $.

Jurich, aside from Kraggers, has hit homerun after homerun in picking his coaches at UofL. I have full confidence that he'd do it again. I've heard him say before, he's always got the next one in the fold.

If their pick envolves reasonable coaches, then I would say yes. I think Billy D may come, I don't see someone like Coach K, Roy Williams, Howland, Cal, Self, or someone like that coming obviously.

If Pitino is let go or leaves, next offseason I would try Billy D. Then I would go for some of the other good, but reasonable names. I think the U of L fanbase overvalues their name a little bit, with a few of the names that have been thrown out. For instance, Jurich would be laughed out of the building if he tried to get Roy Williams.

Laugh if you want, but U of L isn't exactly that elite of a program when you compare them to the real powers of college basketball. They are NOT UCLA, UNC, UK, Duke, Kansas, UCONN, or even someone like Syracuse. Michigan State is > than U of L. U of L has two titles, and they happened 20+ years ago. Michigan State has two titles as well, with one coming this decade. Also this decade they have went to 5 final fours. That comes when mighty U of L has only been to the Final Four once since their title in 1986. Live in the 80's if you want but today Michigan State is the better program, basketball wise in recent years. It's close but I don't think if Izzo wasn't interested in the UK job that he would want the U of L job. Izzo has a nice job, and he is the king in Spartan Country.

Laugh if you want, but it's not like U of L is a great step up from MSU.

I don't think think Izzo would ever leave MSU for UofL or anybody else for that matter but say whatever you want you will never convince me that they're a better program than UofL.

If their pick envolves reasonable coaches, then I would say yes. I think Billy D may come, I don't see someone like Coach K, Roy Williams, Howland, Cal, Self, or someone like that coming obviously.

I can assure you that nobody here thinks that any of those coaches would come to UofL.

If Pitino is let go or leaves, next offseason I would try Billy D. Then I would go for some of the other good, but reasonable names. I think the U of L fanbase overvalues their name a little bit, with a few of the names that have been thrown out. For instance, Jurich would be laughed out of the building if he tried to get Roy Williams.

There is difference in a wishlist from a fan, and an AD. UofL wouldn't go after Williams, Coach K, Izzo or Self. They are all at equal or better programs. Coach Cal isn't on the same level as those, but obviously UofL wouldn't/couldn't get him either.

Aside from that, I think they could just about take their pick (for reasons I mentioned earlier). I think Donovan, Capel, Anderson, Wright, etc.

What ground would you have for saying UofL overvalues their name? They've only had one coaching search in the last 40 years, and they got the biggest name available then. Sure, I give you they aren't on the same level as UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA, and KU. Besides that, they are every bit as good as any other program. It's an elite level basketball job, I know that's hard for some to admit.:cool:

I don't think think Izzo would ever leave MSU for UofL or anybody else for that matter but say whatever you want you will never convince me that they're a better program than UofL.

Even if the facts say otherwise?:isurrender: I guess we all are a little biased towards our teams though.

I can assure you that nobody here thinks that any of those coaches would come to UofL.

Just wondering, since those have been some names mentioned. I hoped no one was serious.

There is difference in a wishlist from a fan, and an AD. UofL wouldn't go after Williams, Coach K, Izzo or Self. They are all at equal or better programs. Coach Cal isn't on the same level as those, but obviously UofL wouldn't/couldn't get him either.

Aside from that, I think they could just about take their pick (for reasons I mentioned earlier). I think Donovan, Capel, Anderson, Wright, etc.

What ground would you have for saying UofL overvalues their name? They've only had one coaching search in the last 40 years, and they got the biggest name available then. Sure, I give you they aren't on the same level as UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA, and KU. Besides that, they are every bit as good as any other program. It's an elite level basketball job, I know that's hard for some to admit.:cool:

U of L is a very, very, very good program. But, it's not a "dream" job I don't think. Donovan is really unknown I think. It seems that he really likes UF, they pay him very well. He is a possibility though. Capel would be a great hire, and I think that is very possible. Wright, I don't know about though. He is doing very well at Villanova, I think they are at about the same level as UofL in recent years. I don't see him leaving them for U of L, or really any other job that is going to come open in the next few years.

One think though, do the UofL fans here think that someone would come this offseason to coach? I think that is nearly impossible. I don't think they would get a very good coach at all if that was the case. Billy D certainly wouldn't leave UF in such bad circumstance, IMO, as they have been very good to him.