Give me one reason....

That's called equal misery for all. This country was not founded on he idea of equal outcome for all. If you work harder, smarter, better you should have more.

If someone is not happy with their place in life. Do something about it. Personal responsibility for self. Fortunately we live in a country where that is possible.

Very true, however, I’m not so sure our current administration believes that. It seems like the Democrats believe in the Robin Hood theory of government.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mark up is the biggest problem. I was a dental lab tech for 20 some years and at one time serviced most of the dentist in my hometown. I would charge them all the same for a set of dentures using the same materials. You could go to one and pay $2,000 for a set or go to a different and pay $1,000 and be getting exactly the same thing. I made more dentures in a year than most dentist make in a lifetime, therefore having more skill in that area. Now if legal I could make you that exact set of dentures for $750, but you must go through a dentist according to Ky state law.

The mark up is the biggest problem. I was a dental lab tech for 20 some years and at one time serviced most of the dentist in my hometown. I would charge them all the same for a set of dentures using the same materials. You could go to one and pay $2,000 for a set or go to a different and pay $1,000 and be getting exactly the same thing. I made more dentures in a year than most dentist make in a lifetime, therefore having more skill in that area. Now if legal I could make you that exact set of dentures for $750, but you must go through a dentist according to Ky state law.

Not saying this is the reason, but do you not what the two different dentists were paying their employees? Or did all the difference go straight into the dentist' pockets?

^ I'm sure for the most part it was related to their overhead. I worked with one dentist, and we had set up a little place to make dentures. He would tell his patients I can make you a set out of my office where I have to pay an office staff and it's going to cost you $1,600 or you can to my other place where my lab tech works and get exactly the same thing for $400. 90% chose to come to the place where I worked.

What should it matter if one dentist wanted to sell them for $5000? He wouldn't sell very many but isn't that what free market is about?

My dental insurance, what little of it there is, covers some dentists but not all. So, for my dental insurance to kick in, I might be forced to go to that dentist.

Same way with doctors. My health insurance does not cover all and any doctor.

Not saying this is the reason, but do you not what the two different dentists were paying their employees? Or did all the difference go straight into the dentist' pockets?

^ I'm sure for the most part it was related to their overhead. I worked with one dentist, and we had set up a little place to make dentures. He would tell his patients I can make you a set out of my office where I have to pay an office staff and it's going to cost you $1,600 or you can to my other place where my lab tech works and get exactly the same thing for $400. 90% chose to come to the place where I worked.

What should it matter if one dentist wanted to sell them for $5000? He wouldn't sell very many but isn't that what free market is about?

Which is one of the reasons I posted a link to the healthcare bluebook. Tools like that are essential to encouraging price competition between providers.

My dental insurance, what little of it there is, covers some dentists but not all. So, for my dental insurance to kick in, I might be forced to go to that dentist.

Same way with doctors. My health insurance does not cover all and any doctor.

If insurance is covering then 1. it's costing you the same and 2) no way hs is charging hem that much. I would bet their negotiated charge would be much lower.