Something thats really bothered me about Obama

I understand the policy differences but could you guys give this stuff a rest? We have never been or ever will be a "Christian" nation only. He frequently quotes the Bible too, probably much to the dislike of many Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Atheist, etc who live in this country.

At risk of regretting getting involved with this subject, I want to say that I do see a discrepancy in his behavior. I'm not calling President Obama a Muslim, or a non-Christian, or anything like that. But the fact remains- if he wanted to cover up the name of Jesus to ensure seperation of Church and state, then that's logical (I disagree, but the logic holds). However, if seperation of Church and state is his goal, it is counter-intuitive to quote religious text.

If President Obama wants to maintain a consistent position, he shouldn't go out of his way to hide religious symbols at religious universities (to ensure seperation), and then quote any religious text, Bible or Quran. It's inconsistent.

If President Obama wants to maintain a consistent position, he shouldn't go out of his way to hide religious symbols at religious universities (to ensure seperation), and then quote any religious text, Bible or Quran. It's inconsistent.

I agree.

If the word Jesus was seen in the pic with President Obama, alot of idoits would say look he thinks he is Jesus. There has been alot of wild stuff said about Obama like: he is a Muslim, he is the AntiChrist, was not sworn in on the bible, turn his back to the flag during pledge allegiance to the flag and you would be suprized how many people believe it.

Gotcha, I see now.

Well we aren't a Christian nation anymore for these next 4-8 years, so it fits.

We haven't been for the last 300 years, so what does it matter?

One of the things our founding fathers did was establish no set state religion so what is the point?

If the word Jesus was seen in the pic with President Obama, alot of idoits would say look he thinks he is Jesus. There has been alot of wild stuff said about Obama like: he is a Muslim, he is the AntiChrist, was not sworn in on the bible, turn his back to the flag during pledge allegiance to the flag and you would be suprized how many people believe it.

:thumb:

I think most of you are missing the point completely. It's what cch touched on earlier....If Obama says we're not a Christian nation, or any other specific religion, shouldn't he be consistent with that line of thinking? Why is it okay to read from the Quran, but not okay for him to have Jesus in the background?

I think most of you are missing the point completely. It's what cch touched on earlier....If Obama says we're not a Christian nation, or any other specific religion, shouldn't he be consistent with that line of thinking? Why is it okay to read from the Quran, but not okay for him to have Jesus in the background?

It's okay for him to use text from any religious document, including the Koran and the Holy Bible. I teach at a public school, which, I'm sure we all agree is nondenominational. I teach science, yet have used excerpts from the Holy Bible, native american religious writings, lines from the Bhagavad Gita, etc, when it was appropriate. I've not used any excerpts from the Koran simply because it has never been appropriate for a lesson that was being discussed.