Puppy Ideas

kysportsfan4life

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are getting a Shorkie..

He is adorable..

There are several genetic issues that are shared by the Shih Tzu and Yorkie.

Here is a list of SOME health issues known in the Shih Tzu and Yorkie Breed.

Liver-Portosystemic Shunt

Knees-Patellar Luxation

Retinal Dysplasia - Eye Problem

So when doing a F1(first generation) or F2 or even F3, you need to make sure your breeder is doing genetic testing, so the chance of the parents passing any of these's issues to their off spring is very low to none.

There are several genetic issues that are shared by the Shih Tzu and Yorkie.

Here is a list of SOME health issues known in the Shih Tzu and Yorkie Breed.

Knees-Patellar Luxation

So when doing a F1(first generation) or F2 or even F3, you need to make sure your breeder is doing genetic testing, so the chance of the parents passing any of these's issues to their off spring is very low to none.

I know you don't like them Aiden, but thank you for the information.

It's my girlfriends dog so i'm basically stuck. I prefer a purebred German Shepherd but this is what I get. :lol:

I gave my grandma my old beagle mix so I am lonely right now..

I know you don't like them Aiden, but thank you for the information.

I don't like floofy dogs.

But I'm serious, research your breeder. Is this the first litter these breeders have had? Do they know of any history of these problems in the mother and father?

I had a Siberian Husky that died of Leukemia, it was heartbreaking and very tough to watch the dog go through, and that could have been avoided if I had researched the breeder.

But I'm serious, research your breeder. Is this the first litter these breeders have had? Do they know of any history of these problems in the mother and father?

I've got the number and I am going to call the lady tomorrow with these questions.

What are some to ask?

I've got the number and I am going to call the lady tomorrow with these questions.

What are some to ask?

Specifically, ask what generation these puppies would be. F1, F2, etc. If they are F3 or above generations, and the other generations haven't had the problems below, then you should be in the clear.

Also, do the mother/father have a family history of any of these:

Knees-Patellar Luxation

Also, whenever you go to pick up the puppy, ask to see where they are kept/bred. You also want to see the mother AND the father. If they do not wish to show you these things, that's a bad sign.

Specifically, ask what generation these puppies would be. F1, F2, etc.

Also, do the mother/father have a family history of any of these:

Knees-Patellar Luxation

Also, whenever you go to pick up the puppy, ask to see where they are kept/bred. You also want to see the mother AND the father. If they do not wish to show you these things, that's a bad sign.

:thumb:

Thank you, all good things. She has a kennel up on her website but who knows. I will for sure look into it.

:thumb:

Thank you, all good things. She has a kennel up on her website but who knows. I will for sure look into it.

Well, a kennel cleaned up for a photo shoot, could be different from the way the kennel is actually kept. I'd ask to see it when you go, but that's just me. Not trying to be a downer, but puppy mills and bad breeders do exist. At the same time, great, amazing breeders are out there too.

Bottom line is, you want a healthy dog.

Well, a kennel cleaned up for a photo shoot, could be different from the way the kennel is actually kept. I'd ask to see it when you go, but that's just me. Not trying to be a downer, but puppy mills and bad breeders do exist. At the same time, great, amazing breeders are out there too.

Bottom line is, you want a healthy dog.

Exactly..

I don't like little dogs personally, but I can give you an opinion beased on my parents and other folks I know.

My parents have had 4 Shih Tzu. They have loved every one of them. They have also loved my parents. My experience is that they are NOT good social dogs. They love their owners, but that's about it. So, IMO if you are looking for a great stay at home and love you dog but who really doesn't like visitors then this is the dog for you.

I know 2 people who have Yorkies. In both places the women love them and the guys hate them. To me they are stubbiorn, high maintenance little princesses. They are more like a cat then a dog, in that they think you are there to please them than them to please you. Kind of like a high maitenace girlfriend.

I'd rather eat dirt than own a poodle. Their mean, they bite, and they're ugly. But that's just my opinion.

Everyone I know that has a Pug absolutely loves them. They're loyal & loving, and I think all of them would die in defense of their owner. Warning, they don't shed, they molt. Year round. But of all of the small dogs, they are probably my favorite.

The other dog I would reccomend is the Cairn Terrier. While I personally think they are ugly ( I also think Yorkies are ugly by the way) their personalities and intelligence are great. Small, low shedding, loyal, loving, and fierce little buggers. They were originally hunting dogs used to root out rabbits and other burrowing animals. Breeders have maintained the hunting dog personality, which I like. So if you want a small dog with a big dog personality, give these little guys a look.

In the last 10 years or so there has been a lot of cross breeding in the small dogs. I don't know if it is by accident or on purpose to try to bring different charactoristics together. I think it's a little of both.

Chorkies, Morkies, Shorkies, and Yorkie Poms. See here: http://www.teacupyorkiedogs.com/yorkie-cross-breed-temperaments/ for some info.

Poodles are crossbred probably more than any other dog. See here to start: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/top-crossbreeds/page1.aspx

When in doubt go to: http://www.akc.org/

Bottom line. You're looking at an animal that will depend on you for about 15 years or so. Do your homework. The right dog is a pleasure for you and the dog. The wrong dog is a misery for you and the dog.

You guys remember Debbie Downer from SNL skits? That's you AD :D j/k

I'm about to buy a house and I'll be getting a female Boxer, anythings I should know, I know the white ones are prone to being deaf, and they can have issues with the hips? Anything that I might not know about. Do you breed dogs?