Jared Prickett is the new manager of the KBA

SHS Future

Richie used his time at UK to show his character and leadership as well as his love for Kentucky (the state and the school), maybe he saw an opportunity to do great things and make "his" state a better place to live, funny how you criticize him for that, but can't criticize the job he's done.

And that's great. Doesn't mean he's qualified for a high-level, high-profile job like that. It's a freakin' cabinet job, for God's sake. It would have been nice to see him pay some dues first.

I want to make my state a better place to live, too. Does that mean I should be governor?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is to judge which qualifications are best for the job? You?

In Richie's case that would be the voters. Obviously enough people think he's qualified so they voted for him. How many consecutive terms has he been in office?

In the KBA's case I'd say the #1 priority is to get people in the place. Pricket's background as a UK player will garner some attention to the KBA that few others could - even if they have PHD's in exercise science and business.

Jim - did you get passed over for a job by someone who didn't "deserve it" or something?

Hasn't everybody? It's how this state works.

Maybe Prickett is perfect for the job? I don't know. I've asked several times in this thread what his qualifications are, and all I hear are crickets.

Same thing with Richie. Seems like the only qualification that matters is one — ex-UK player. And it's sad that the general public doesn't require anything else.

And that's great. Doesn't mean he's qualified for a high-level, high-profile job like that. It's a freakin' cabinet job, for God's sake. It would have been nice to see him pay some dues first.

I want to make my state a better place to live, too. Does that mean I should be governor?

He graduated in 92. I am guessing, but I believe he came into office in 2004 or 05. So there was 12 or 13 years between his graduation and him getting elected to office. He didn't walk off the basketball court into the cabinet.

Hasn't everybody? It's how this state works.

Maybe Prickett is perfect for the job? I don't know. I've asked several times in this thread what his qualifications are, and all I hear are crickets.

Same thing with Richie. Seems like the only qualification that matters is one — ex-UK player. And it's sad that the general public doesn't require anything else.

I don't think any of us are doing research and stalking Jared Prickett to see what he does to get qualified to manage the KBA. As for Farmer, what has he done thats been bad for the office of Ag. comissioner?

He graduated in 92. I am guessing, but I believe he came into office in 2004 or 05. So there was 12 or 13 years between his graduation and him getting elected to office. He didn't walk off the basketball court into the cabinet.

This is a state where everybody seems to know everybody. He came into office in '03. Not a lot of flat land to farm in Clay Co. What was he doing during the interim to qualify him for the office?

I don't think any of us are doing research and stalking Jared Prickett to see what he does to get qualified to manage the KBA. As for Farmer, what has he done thats been bad for the office of Ag. comissioner?

Since the farming business is going the way of the dinosaur, I question what good he's doing.

I only pointed this out because it's the latest example in a long line.

How about Ag Commissioner? Not a lot of farming going on in Clay Co.

How so, this situation is different. This is a former UK basketball player that will be running a BASKETBALL ACADEMY. Not a former UK basketball player being elected to office or made president of a bank with no experience. You've been to basketball academies and baseball academies, I know you have. Who usually runs those type of places--former players and coaches, right? You see where I'm going with this don't you? If you're in Lexington Kentucky and you want to be successful in a venture such as KBA wouldn't it be helpful to have someone who played basketball, played at UK, has a degree and has experience in business? I'm betting it would. If you want to bag on ex-athletes getting jobs they don't deserve, I'm fine with that--when it is truly a job that they don't deserve. You want to talk about Ritchie Farmer not being qualified, cool I can understand that. However, in the instance of Prickett you are flat out wrong and should be big enough that you were making a generalization and were wrong about this case. But I don't expect that from you.

How so, this situation is different. This is a former UK basketball player that will be running a BASKETBALL ACADEMY. Not a former UK basketball player being elected to office or made president of a bank with no experience. You've been to basketball academies and baseball academies, I know you have. Who usually runs those type of places--former players and coaches, right? You see where I'm going with this don't you? If you're in Lexington Kentucky and you want to be successful in a venture such as KBA wouldn't it be helpful to have someone who played basketball, played at UK, has a degree and has experience in business? I'm betting it would. If you want to bag on ex-athletes getting jobs they don't deserve, I'm fine with that--when it is truly a job that they don't deserve. You want to talk about Ritchie Farmer not being qualified, cool I can understand that. However, in the instance of Prickett you are flat out wrong and should be big enough that you were making a generalization and were wrong about this case. But I don't expect that from you.

I even said earlier in the thread that this may be appropriate, but it looked on the surface like one in a long line of ex-Wildcats being handed positions they weren't qualified for (i.e., a generalization).

Still, I've asked what practical experience Prickett specifically has w/re to running a business, and I've heard nothing. What businesses has he run? Has he run any youth sports leagues? That seems like it would be the most relevant thing a person would need to run the KBA, moreso than just being an ex-player.

I even said earlier in the thread that this may be appropriate, but it looked on the surface like one in a long line of ex-Wildcats being handed positions they weren't qualified for (i.e., a generalization).

Still, I've asked what practical experience Prickett specifically has w/re to running a business, and I've heard nothing. What businesses has he run? Has he run any youth sports leagues? That seems like it would be the most relevant thing a person would need to run the KBA, moreso than just being an ex-player.

I don't know much about Prickett's life, but I do know that he was a part-owner of at least 1 bar in Lexington.

Its a private business. Its really none of our business what Prickett has done. Your arguement against him seems silly.

As for Farmer, it seems to me you and I are not informed enough about the job hes doing to pass judgement. Its definitly brought more attention to that position, but I for one don't even know the job description. What did Farmer do from 92 to 03? Maybe he had a job that prepared him for the position, or maybe he didn't. It just seems awfully quick to pass judgment.

Look, Jim, I really do not know what you want us to tell you. Like I said earlier, the vast majority of jobs obtained whether it be by appointment, election, civil service exam, etc. contain a large degree of biases and the most deserving/qualified person is not going to get the job. This is a universal problem. From potentially every US President down to your local burger flipper, the most qualified is not getting the gig. Who you are and who you know helps a lot more than what you are what you could do.

In this case, it appears Prickett would be a logical choice, but I guess we could nitpick all day long. Maybe his resume does not fully read what the resume should read of one that would run a basketball academy in Central Kentucky? I would guess being a former collegiate player, in this case at UK, might be a positive for whomever applied for this type of job. Other than some real world experience, which we all assume Prickett has as well as a college degree and being a former player, I am not sure what kind of ladder one is really supposed to climb to lead a local basketball academy?