Scientists offer Dire Warnings - Global Warming

PureFan

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article:

Their stark message came at the end of a three-day conference aimed at updating the findings of a 2007 report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change before U.N. talks in December on a new global climate treaty.

"The worst-case IPCC scenario trajectories (or even worse) are being realized," the scientists said in a statement. "There is a significant risk that many of the trends will accelerate, leading to an increasing risk of abrupt or irreversible climatic shifts."

The climate change panel predicted a sea level rise of 7 to 23 inches by the end of the century, which could flood low-lying areas and force millions to flee. But more recent research presented at the conference suggested that melting glaciers and ice sheets could help push the sea level up at least 20 inches, and possibly as much as 39 inches, or about 1 meter.

I remember as a kid in elementary school reading that the world was going to run out of fresh water by 1983. I have a hard time believing many of these gloom and doom reports from the 'experts', many of whom believe we evolved from fish. Science has come light years in the past 100 years, but there is still more out there we don't know than what we do know.

Do we have climate change? Absolutely. We have had for thousands of years before humans could be blamed for all of it. We have less than of an impact on the earth than we think we do.

Haven't you heard? Climate change is a fairy tale that has been totally refuted by every scientist on the planet, except for about a half dozen who are being personally paid by Al Gore! :rolleyes:

Did you ever read anything regarding this written by Dr. Chrichton prior to his death?

I only ask because he throws some serious doubt on the methods used to determine this information and the intent while doing the research.

From the article:

Their stark message came at the end of a three-day conference aimed at updating the findings of a 2007 report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change before U.N. talks in December on a new global climate treaty.

"The worst-case IPCC scenario trajectories (or even worse) are being realized," the scientists said in a statement. "There is a significant risk that many of the trends will accelerate, leading to an increasing risk of abrupt or irreversible climatic shifts."

The climate change panel predicted a sea level rise of 7 to 23 inches by the end of the century, which could flood low-lying areas and force millions to flee. But more recent research presented at the conference suggested that melting glaciers and ice sheets could help push the sea level up at least 20 inches, and possibly as much as 39 inches, or about 1 meter.

Wait, Al said Florida would be under water by 2020. Also, "flee" is a little over blown isn't it? That's possibly 3 feet in 100 years. I know Floridians are slow to move, but come on. Flee?

Haven't you heard? Climate change is a fairy tale that has been totally refuted by every scientist on the planet, except for about a half dozen who are being personally paid by Al Gore! :rolleyes:
Not a fairy tale, just a lie for monetary and political gain. It's been refuted by qualified Climatologists, but I guess that they're just flat earthers like those on the side of the biggest scam known to man has said. :rolleyes:

And don't you just love the fear mongering by these guys. They love using words like frightening, irreversible, abrupt, damaging, crisis and so on to try to panic those that buy into this crap so they can get their little agenda pushed.

I love this quote: "Recent observations show that societies are highly vulnerable to even modest levels of climate change with poor nations and communities particularly at risk." Ah yes, the Lefties favorite poster child, the poor. God knows you don't care about the poor if you don't come over to their way of thinking.

Oh, and now climate change is going to cause mass migrations, set off mass conflict and if isn't dealt with decisively, it could cause "extended world war." :lol: You can't make this crap up. :popcorn:

And don't you just love the fear mongering by these guys. They love using words like frightening, irreversible, abrupt, damaging, crisis and so on to try to panic those that buy into this crap so they can get their little agenda pushed.

I love this quote: "Recent observations show that societies are highly vulnerable to even modest levels of climate change with poor nations and communities particularly at risk." Ah yes, the Lefties favorite poster child, the poor. God knows you don't care about the poor if you don't come over to their way of thinking.

Oh, and now climate change is going to cause mass migrations, set off mass conflict and if isn't dealt with decisively, it could cause "extended world war." :lol: You can't make this crap up. :popcorn:

According to some people that is exactly what they are doing!!:laugh:

I really didn't think that much about Global warming until the other day in Bio Lab we watched An Inconvenient Truth if you think Global warming is a joke watch this movie.

Global Warming is happening and if you think it's not than your crazy.

I believe the climate is changing, ..... it has been for thousands of years and always will. Did humans cause the ice age? Did humans cause the big thaw? We as humans are too egocentric if we believe we impact the global environment as much as we are led to believe we do.

We need to kill all the cattle which are responsible for most of the methane in the atmosphere.

I really didn't think that much about Global warming until the other day in Bio Lab we watched An Inconvenient Truth if you think Global warming is a joke watch this movie.

Global Warming is happening and if you think it's not than your crazy.

So you watch one movie made by the Czar of Global Warming and claim it's true? Did you research any counter points on it?

I am not sure about all the dire warnings of doom and gloom. I do think we need to be responsible with our environment. Use less energy, invest in renewable energy, recycle, plant three trees for every one we cut, etc. I am not a "tree hugger" but I do want to protect our woodlands and wetlands for the future. As for global warming I can see both sides of the story. I do think the issue (on both sides) is clouded with political self interests and that often decisions come down to the bottom line. Until scientists build concensus among themselves, this issue will always create conflict.

I am not sure about all the dire warnings of doom and gloom. I do think we need to be responsible with our environment. Use less energy, invest in renewable energy, recycle, plant three trees for every one we cut, etc. I am not a "tree hugger" but I do want to protect our woodlands and wetlands for the future. As for global warming I can see both sides of the story. I do think the issue (on both sides) is clouded with political self interests and that often decisions come down to the bottom line. Until scientists build concensus among themselves, this issue will always create conflict.

I agree with you on that. We should be more responsible stewards of our planet than we are. However, investing in renewable energy won't work unless it involves building a distribution system to get the electricity from those places where this will work to other places where it doesn't.

EG. Solar and wind will not work in KY. Yet in the 'wind corridor' from Texas to Canada, this is a very viable solution. Off the coast 'wind farms' are also a great idea, but those who live on the coast don't want to have to look at the wind turbines on the water even if it could give them less expensive, renewable and enviromentally friendly energy. Our government won't approve any nuclear facilities, just ask CG&E what happened when they built a nuclear plant years ago which was never opened as the government continued to throw up new red tape roadblocks after they had invested millions and it was ready to roll. And now we have an administration that will never allow a nuclear plant to open up. Mark it down, it will not happen under Obama's 4/8 years in the White House. And Obama's carbon tax cap & trade will only generate money for 2 groups, .. the government and the traders. It will double our electric bills here in Kentucky (mark that down as well) as we don't have any other alternatives that are feasible and 85% of our power in this state are generated by coal fired plants.

Obama talked of a power distribution grid and this would be AWESOME and government money well spent. It would create new jobs for the economy and be enviromentally friendly. But I don't see any progress or even talk of this right now. Instead, his goal of 'taxing the coal fired plants into bankruptcy' (his words not mine) without a viable alternative will hurt the economy period. The electric cooperatives and even the investor owned utilities are trembling right now as they do not have the revenue to pay for a national distribution grid and the carbon tax cap & trade will make their financial situation even worse when so many of their customers won't be able to afford their electric bills. We are already on this road and it is getting rockier every day.

Also, in regards to natural gas, ... where has all that talk gone? As soon as gas prices dropped, everyone stopped talking about it. It is cheaper and cleaner.