Obama sets maximum wage.

lynks66

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then we have the government controlling the salaries in this country. If that's what you want, then it would be a great idea.

As I noted in an earlier post from an article, this is not true.

This ONLY APPLIES TO....

The pay cap would apply to institutions that negotiate agreements with the Treasury Department for "exceptional assistance" in the future.

Generally healthy institutions would have more leeway. They also face the $500,000 limit if they're getting government help, but the cap can be waived with full public disclosure and a nonbinding shareholder vote.

Healthy franchises that are getting help can get out of it.

The Chicken Little argument you guys are posting is not applicable.

As I noted in an earlier post from an article, this is not true.

This ONLY APPLIES TO....

The pay cap would apply to institutions that negotiate agreements with the Treasury Department for "exceptional assistance" in the future.

Generally healthy institutions would have more leeway. They also face the $500,000 limit if they're getting government help, but the cap can be waived with full public disclosure and a nonbinding shareholder vote.

Healthy franchises that are getting help can get out of it.

The Chicken Little argument you guys are posting is not applicable.

I can't say it any better than this:

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear.

Man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts.

- Ronald Reagan

And then we have the government controlling the salaries in this country. If that's what you want, then it would be a great idea.

Nope. I think the government limiting salaries is a horrible idea. I just don't know how you can limit it to one group of people.

Who should control the salaries of these CEOs? Have you seen what they make? I would go so far as to say what they make is sinful. Who approves the salary - BOD not share holders. My IRA companies have never asked me how much we should pay the CEO. The BOD approves raises to the CEO and he approves bonuses to them, where is there any regulation.

The free-market is amoral - someone has to regulate. These guys are not getting paid what they are "worth". Heck fire no one is WORTH that much, especially given the shape these businesses are in. Why aren't the shareholders and BODs fining the CEOs for poor work?

Someone is actually WORTH 20 or 30 million a year?? Please.

Who should control the salaries of these CEOs? Have you seen what they make? I would go so far as to say what they make is sinful. Who approves the salary - BOD not share holders. My IRA companies have never asked me how much we should pay the CEO. The BOD approves raises to the CEO and he approves bonuses to them, where is there any regulation.

The free-market is amoral - someone has to regulate. These guys are not getting paid what they are "worth". Heck fire no one is WORTH that much, especially given the shape these businesses are in. Why aren't the shareholders and BODs fining the CEOs for poor work?

Someone is actually WORTH 20 or 30 million a year?? Please.

Normally I would disagree with this statement. Since they are receiving government bailout money, I agree totally!

How about we set a maximum and a minimum wage.

The maximum CEO wage could not be more than 30 times that of the lowest paid employee. If the lowest paid makes 25,000 then the CEO cannot make more that 750,000.00 Keeps the company in balance.

As noted, the people to get us out of this mess needs to be people who know how to run a business efficiently. If we are capping the pay, the best executives will go elsewhere.
I know I'm coming on this thread late and haven't bothered to read the rest of the statements, but are you kidding me.

Get these losers out of the office, let them go. Just please don't forget to snap the golden parachute before they jump out.

The problem is these "best executives" stink at there job and have hurt millions with poor results they've had at running their buisness.

How about we set a maximum and a minimum wage.

The maximum CEO wage could not be more than 30 times that of the lowest paid employee. If the lowest paid makes 25,000 then the CEO cannot make more that 750,000.00 Keeps the company in balance.

I don't understand. Are these management-level or mid-level employees or are you suggesting that the salary of the unskilled worker that cleans the floors should dictate the salary of the Harvard Business School graduate that sits on the board?

I don't understand. Are these management-level or mid-level employees or are you suggesting that the salary of the unskilled worker that cleans the floors should dictate the salary of the Harvard Business School graduate that sits on the board?
If it means it forces the buisness to pay marginal workers livable wages than I would all for it. Sorry Harvard boy, it just might mean a smaller yacht so Pedro and his family don't have to live on government assistance even though he works for you.

Tie it to a tax incentive and investor in the companies will play ball.

I know I'm coming on this thread late and haven't bothered to read the rest of the statements, but are you kidding me.

Get these losers out of the office, let them go. Just please don't forget to snap the golden parachute before they jump out.

The problem is these "best executives" stink at there job and have hurt millions with poor results they've had at running their buisness.

You should have read the thread. I have less of a problem with capping the pays of the current executives who failed at their job. However, I think that these failed companies are going to need the best executives to get them out of the mess their in. Keeping the pay low won't do it.