Top 5 coaches in the country

buzzer beater

Yeah way. He took a team who won 9 games the year before into a 20 win team, and now they are close to the top of a pretty solid conference. Why isn't Tubby top 5?

Sounds like this other coach I know. He took a 7 win team and won 21 the next year.

Regarding Tubby, top 20 sure, top 10 maybe, top 5 no.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like this other coach I know. He took a 7 win team and won 21 the next year.

Regarding Tubby, top 20 sure, top 10 maybe, top 5 no.

In my mind he is top 5. I know there are a lot of good coaches in this country, but to me Tubby is a top 5 coach. He has won at every school he has been to, he has won the big games, he is top 5 in my mind.

No way would Roy Williams by number one, probably not top 5 either.

IMO, you have to have Izzo on there. He wins year in and year out (especially in the tournament when it counts the most)

So Williams, who's career record is 579-136, doesn't win year in and year out? Hmm, that makes a load of sense.

He has won less than 20 games 2 times in his 21 year coaching career. He has won over 25 games 15 times. He has won 7 conference championships, an NCAA championship, he has been to 11 Sweet 16's, 8 Elite 8's, and 6 Final 4's. So how has he not won year in and year out compared to Izzo? If you don't think Roy Williams is a top 5 coach in this country, then I will have to think you don't know much about the game of basketball..

Last time I checked recruiting is in the job description of a head coach with that said how could you put Tubby in the top 5

Well he brought Hayes, Tayshaun, Keith, Cliff, Rondo, Azubuike, Meeks, and pretty much Patterson. So is that not good enough?

And in not even 2 years at Minnesota he has brought in two very good recruiting classes. Please, enough with the "Tubby can't recruit" junk, because that's what it is..

So Williams, who's career record is 579-136, doesn't win year in and year out? Hmm, that makes a load of sense.

Well, IMO, Roy Williams is the ultimate choke artist in college basketball. His team ALWAYS has loads of talent (which I am saying, I believe his teams always SHOULD win with the talent they have), but he can only achieve one championship with that 579-136 record.

1. Coach K

2. Calhoun

3. Pitino

4. Izzo

5. Roy

Well, IMO, Roy Williams is the ultimate choke artist in college basketball. His team ALWAYS has loads of talent (which I am saying, I believe his teams always SHOULD win with the talent they have), but he can only achieve one championship with that 579-136 record.

1. Coach K

2. Calhoun

3. Pitino

4. Izzo

5. Roy

I wouldn't call making it to 6 Final 4's being a choke artist, I don't really know of to many active coaches today to go that far, but I could be wrong. Also Roy has had some very talented teams, and he has done good things with those teams. When March rolls around it isn't always the team with the best talent to win the big dance. The Kansas team who beat them last year was very talented, and had how many kids goes to go pro? The Georgetown team to beat them 2 years ago was also very talented. Roy has proved he is a top coach in the country, maybe not the best to some, but he has proven he belongs in that category. But again, this is just my opinion..

In my mind he is top 5. I know there are a lot of good coaches in this country, but to me Tubby is a top 5 coach. He has won at every school he has been to, he has won the big games, he is top 5 in my mind.

He has won less than 20 games 2 times in his 21 year coaching career. He has won over 25 games 15 times. He has won 7 conference championships, an NCAA championship, he has been to 11 Sweet 16's, 8 Elite 8's, and 6 Final 4's. So how has he not won year in and year out compared to Izzo? If you don't think Roy Williams is a top 5 coach in this country, then I will have to think you don't know much about the game of basketball..

Well he brought Hayes, Tayshaun, Keith, Cliff, Rondo, Azubuike, Meeks, and pretty much Patterson. So is that not good enough?

And in not even 2 years at Minnesota he has brought in two very good recruiting classes. Please, enough with the "Tubby can't recruit" junk, because that's what it is..

Well his recruiting definetly fell off look at the senior class it is non existant unless you count Jared Carter

^Now that he won one, he's no longer a choke artist. That's how it works. :lol:

Didn't say that. But I wouldn't call the man a choke artist, look what he has done.

How is Izzo ahead of Williams? Lets rundown the stats between those two since they were both D-1 coaches. Izzo came onto the scene in 1995-96.

Izzo since 1995-96 - 318-132 record - 11 NCAA tournament appearances, 2 NIT appearances - 7 Sweet 16 appearances, 5 Elite 8 appearances, 4 Final 4 appearances, and 1 national title. 20 or more wins in 9 seasons, 25+ wins in 5 seasons, and two 30 win seasons.

Williams since 1995-96 - 395-85 record - 13 NCAA appearances, 0 NIT appearances - 9 Sweet 16 appearances, 6 Elite 8 appearances, 5 Finals 4 appearances, 1 national title. 20 or more wins in 12 seasons, 25+ wins in 9 seasons, and seven 30 win seasons.

Well his recruiting definetly fell off look at the senior class it is non existant unless you count Jared Carter

Who else came in that class?

Didn't say that. But I wouldn't call the man a choke artist, look what he has done.

How is Izzo ahead of Williams? Lets rundown the stats between those two since they were both D-1 coaches. Izzo came onto the scene in 1995-96.

Izzo since 1995-96 - 318-132 record - 11 NCAA tournament appearances, 2 NIT appearances - 7 Sweet 16 appearances, 5 Elite 8 appearances, 4 Final 4 appearances, and 1 national title. 20 or more wins in 9 seasons, 25+ wins in 5 seasons, and two 30 win seasons.

Williams since 1995-96 - 395-85 record - 13 NCAA appearances, 0 NIT appearances - 9 Sweet 16 appearances, 6 Elite 8 appearances, 5 Finals 4 appearances, 1 national title. 20 or more wins in 12 seasons, 25+ wins in 9 seasons, and seven 30 win seasons.

Who else came in that class?

Rekalin Sims and Adam Williams :puke: