Marvin wants Bengals to be a more disciplined team

That is too funny. As a teacher, I can tell you that you don't start with discipline on day 1, you can't get it back after the students are out of control.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090129/SPT02/901290372/1062/SPT

The Bengals have not been in the playoffs since 2005, so coach Marvin Lewis knows things have to improve next season.

Step one: A more disciplined team.

"Some of our better players have not played up to the standard they need to play to," Lewis said Wednesday.

Since starting the season 3-0 in 2006, when according to Lewis "everything got big and everyone felt like they had the answers," the Bengals have gone into a freefall, including a 4-11-1 finish last season.

"From blocking to finishing plays, to our wide receivers blocking and being at the right depth on routes. The discipline of guys playing those spots has to improve. They eroded, and that's what hurt us and got our QB hurt," Lewis said.

The Bengals have 10 unrestricted free agents, including wide receiver T.H. Houshmandzadeh, offensive tackle Stacy Andrews, running back Cedric Benson and kicker Shayne Graham.

The team has not made a determination if it will use the franchise tag, but it is the Bengals' aim "not to tag anyone."

The deadline for teams to tag players is Feb. 19. According to some estimates, the tag for a wide receiver would be $9.9 million, while a kicker would cost $2.5 million.

I thought this comment was interesting and laid off PART of the offensive problem and Carson being hurt directly on the WR's.

"From blocking to finishing plays, to our wide receivers blocking and being at the right depth on routes. The discipline of guys playing those spots has to improve. They eroded, and that's what hurt us and got our QB hurt," Lewis said.

I also wondered if that was a veiled reference to Henry and Johnson.

That is too funny. As a teacher, I can tell you that you don't start with discipline on day 1, you can't get it back after the students are out of control.

.[/i]

I follow the "first days of school" book. Someone should send Marvin a copy. :thumb: