Under and over achievments

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you almost totally. I think the fact that West Carter is so good is a shock and on the flip side, the fact that East Carter has been so bad is a shock as well. During the pre-season, my biggest worry to beat Elliott in the 16th was East but Im not so scared of them now even though I still believe that they could be dangerous. :ylsuper:

16th Region Over achievers West Carter, Rose Hill, & Menifee Co.

Underachievers Ashland, & East Carter.JMO

Bath is also kind of a over achiever in my eyes. They were pretty good last year and so far they are 13-3 this season. They have got some good wins over Montgomery, Rose Hill and Harrison County. (I know there not top 20 teams but still good wins) Id say its a good possibility Bath and West could be battleing for the second spot in the 16th at the end of the year!

Region 9. Beechwood. While Holmes is certainly the dominant force in the 9th, Beechwood has crafted a 12-3 record with recent wins over CovCath and Highlands. The loss in the opening round of the regional all-A notwithstanding, the Tigers have put together a solid season.

Region 10. Mason County. Call me a homer, but the Royals have been in every game - maybe their most impressive game of the year was the loss to Scott County. Middleton will get his points and the heralded sophomore class is making its presence felt, but the defense of Downing and Barner deserve high praise as well.

Region 11. Madison Southern. With most of the upper-echelon teams in the 11th performing pretty much as expected, Madison Southern is beating the teams they're supposed to and have mixed in a couple of nice upsets (North Laurel, for example) on the way to a 9-5 mark (6-23 last year).

IMO - It takes more than just a better record to "over achieve".

Sometimes. I think it depends on the situation.

I nominated Henry County in the 8th as the over-achiever of the region this year (so far) almost entirely because of their improvement in the "W" department. Why? Well, Henry hasn't played an overly tough schedule in some time - but they still haven't been able to be much more than a .500 program for the past few years despite that. This year, Coach Holland suddenly has them winning. It's a remarkable turnaround for a program that hasn't really seen a sudden influx of extraordinary talent. They're just suddenly discovering ways to win close games.

That fits, in my book, as an over-achiever. Doing more than what people thought you would, or could, do.

For other teams, merely being competitive may be an over-achievement. It all depends on the team and the situation.

Have you taken a look at Henry's schedule?

Yes. But you have to remember, Henry County hasn't had a significant winning season in many years DESPITE having a weak schedule. If the definition of "over-achiever" is doing what wasn't expected of you, then Henry County fits this description.