Trimble County Head Coach

JARS_08_12

In a big school system such as Lexington or Louisville, that's not such a big deal. But in the smaller school systems such as Trimble, that's a huge handicap. Might want to re-think that one.

I don't know if that is policy or not, but all of our head basketball and football coaches have been teachers at our school. Which schools in our area have head football or basketball coaches that aren't teachers (or are retired, such as Randy Mefford from Carroll County)?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if that is policy or not, but all of our head basketball and football coaches have been teachers at our school. Which schools in our area have head football or basketball coaches that aren't teachers (or are retired, such as Randy Mefford from Carroll County)?

I'm just curious as to the point of the policy, written or un-written. It seems very counter-productive.

I don't know of any coaches off-hand in school systems such as Carroll County or Oldham County, that are head football coaches but who don't work in those school systems, although I know for a fact that there are several in Jefferson County. That was my point, though...why have this as a policy, written or un-written? If Jefferson County allows it - where there's an abundance of potential coaches who are teachers in one of the largest school districts in the country - then why would one of the smallest school systems in the state handcuff itself in this manner? It's got to make Frank's job awfully tough.

Trimble's hardly alone...I think Oldham has the same expectation of its head coaches in the major sports (that they be teachers)...but Oldham has a larger system with a lot more teaching positions...

I don't know if it is counterproductive. There is a lot to be said for the coach that understands that the STUDENT part of student athlete is most important. Coach Poynter did a lot more than just figure out the x's and o's. He kept up with the progress of all students in the classroom, making contact with the boys and their teachers daily. He promoted the ACT for our young men that were pursuing college. Because he is part of the school, he understands the school's philosophy and implements that. As a teacher, he was aware of the variety of school events and how that affected his team.

All of the same can be said for Kerrie Stewart (girls bball coach) and Bob Lauster (boys bball coach) because they work in the system, too. I would certainly think that having someone working from the inside out is a benefit and not a hinderance.

I don't know if it is counterproductive. There is a lot to be said for the coach that understands that the STUDENT part of student athlete is most important. Coach Poynter did a lot more than just figure out the x's and o's. He kept up with the progress of all students in the classroom, making contact with the boys and their teachers daily. He promoted the ACT for our young men that were pursuing college. Because he is part of the school, he understands the school's philosophy and implements that. As a teacher, he was aware of the variety of school events and how that affected his team.

All of the same can be said for Kerrie Stewart (girls bball coach) and Bob Lauster (boys bball coach) because they work in the system, too. I would certainly think that having someone working from the inside out is a benefit and not a hinderance.

:thumb:

I have no knowledge of what goes on at Trimble, but as a teacher and coach and as a former para-professional coach I would want a teacher to coach evry time. There is something to be said for seeing your teachers involved in extra-curriculars. The reasons that you mentioned are dead on.

True Blue, I agree 100%!!! I'm just saying that it seems like this will make it much harder for Trimble to get a new coach in a timely manner.

I'm just curious as to the point of the policy, written or un-written. It seems very counter-productive.

I don't know of any coaches off-hand in school systems such as Carroll County or Oldham County, that are head football coaches but who don't work in those school systems, although I know for a fact that there are several in Jefferson County. That was my point, though...why have this as a policy, written or un-written? If Jefferson County allows it - where there's an abundance of potential coaches who are teachers in one of the largest school districts in the country - then why would one of the smallest school systems in the state handcuff itself in this manner? It's got to make Frank's job awfully tough.

Trimble's hardly alone...I think Oldham has the same expectation of its head coaches in the major sports (that they be teachers)...but Oldham has a larger system with a lot more teaching positions...

This is a state rule not a Trimble rule.

Tall Trees is correct. I just verified with our athletic director. It is a state rule. A Level 1 coach is a certified teacher in your district. A Level 2 coach is one that has at least 64 college hours but is NOT. A level 1 coach will be hired over a level 2 coach UNLESS the superintendent applies for a year by year waiver that must be approved by the state.

Here is the explaination

Definitions of Level1 or 2 Coach according to KHSAA site:

Sec. 1) Defi nitions

a) Level 1 Coaches

An individual seeking a coaching position shall be categorized

as Level 1 if such individual is a certified teacher and member

of the regular school system faculty and meets the following

criteria prior to assignment to coaching duties:

i) Is employed a minimum of three (3) regular periods for

teaching classes, including physical education;

ii) Is employed for supervision of study halls; and/or

iii) Is exercising responsibilities in other activity assignments

within the school schedule.

b) Level 2 Coaches

An individual seeking a coaching position shall be categorized

as Level 2 if such individual meets the following criteria prior

to assignment to coaching duties and does not meet the

qualifi cations of Level 1:

i) Shall be 21 years of age;

ii) Shall not be a violent offender or convicted of a sex crime

as defi ned by KRS 17.165 that is classifi ed as a felony; and

iii) Shall submit to a criminal record check under KRS

iv) Shall meet one of the following additional qualifi cations:

a. Have graduated from a public or accredited high school

and hold a provisional or standard teaching certifi cate;

b. Have completed sixty-four semester hours of college credit

from an accredited college or university as documented

by an offi cial transcript; or

c. Be a graduate from a public or accredited high school

and be in compliance with the local district standards for

serving as an approved substitute teacher as approved by

the Education Professional Standards Board.

v) Prior to assuming duties, Level 2 coaches shall successfully

complete training provided by the local school district. The

training shall include, but not be limited to, information

on the physical and emotional development of students

of the age with whom the Level II coach will be working,

the district’s and school’s discipline policies, procedures for

dealing with discipline problems, and safety and fi rst aid

training. Follow up training shall be provided annually.

In the event that the member school is unable to staff head

or assistant coaching positions in any sport or sport activity

(including cheerleading) with a Level 1 or Level 2 individual, the

member school may request through the Superintendent that

the KHSAA allow for a one-time waiver of this rule in order that

the additional time be available to find an applicant meeting

the criteria.

If you are not a Level 1 or 2 coach this pertains:

(1) Assisting the Level I and II person(s) assigned duties as a

coach in daily and long range athletic activities;

(2) Assisting the Level I and II person(s) assigned duties as a

coach in planning the program;

(3) Demonstrating specifi c skills and tactics but only under the

direct and continual supervision of a Level I or II person(s)

assigned duties as a coach;

(4) Assisting the Level I and II person(s) assigned duties as a

coach in guiding participants towards a harmonious team

spirit;

(5) Alerting the Level I and II person(s) assigned duties as a

coach to the special needs of individual athletes;

(6) Providing assistance with supervision of athletes during

periods of team travel;

(7) Recommending to the Level I and II person(s) assigned duties

as a coach the purchase of equipment, supplies, and uniforms

as appropriate for the health, safety, and welfare of student

athletes;

(8) Performing other non-coaching duties assigned by the

principal, athletic director, or Level I or II person(s) assigned

duties as a coach;

(9) No person other than those employed as a Level 1 or 2 coach

shall be allowed to participate in any supervisory capacity

with interscholastic athletic teams or cheerleading squads,

perform any other “coaching duty” as prescribed by the

playing rules within a sport, nor shall any otherwise qualifi ed

person exceed his respective duties as set forth in this Bylaw.

Hope it all works out...this is a big handicap for small school districts, where there are fewer openings each year. Meanwhile, school districts such as Jefferson County and Fayette County - where there's always openings to be had at almost any given time - has a much better chance of getting coaches into their programs without waiting until the end of the school year. Too bad - best of luck to the Raiders on finding a good replacement!

Hope it all works out...this is a big handicap for small school districts, where there are fewer openings each year. Meanwhile, school districts such as Jefferson County and Fayette County - where there's always openings to be had at almost any given time - has a much better chance of getting coaches into their programs without waiting until the end of the school year. Too bad - best of luck to the Raiders on finding a good replacement!

This is very true and also effects a head coach trying to get asst. coaches. A person has to have 64 hours to even to a par-professional to help be a asst, which also effects small schools and communities.