Is there a major difference in referees?

It is constantly being overheard that 9th region teams aren't prepared for the "rough" and "aggressive" nature of the play at Rupp. Although, Holmes didn't let it affect them.

The 10th region is pretty much advantage/disadvantage, however, there are times when games are tight. I would think overall most coaches are going to say the officiating in other regions is not as good, because they are used to the style in their particular region.

It is constantly being overheard that 9th region teams aren't prepared for the "rough" and "aggressive" nature of the play at Rupp. Although, Holmes didn't let it affect them.

The 10th region is pretty much advantage/disadvantage, however, there are times when games are tight. I would think overall most coaches are going to say the officiating in other regions is not as good, because they are used to the style in their particular region.

That is what I am asking. What is the style in your region/association that is different? What makes you go home after a ballgame in another region thinking, "Boy they do not call it that way in our region!"?

That is what I am asking. What is the style in your region/association that is different? What makes you go home after a ballgame in another region thinking, "Boy they do not call it that way in our region!"?

I'd say the BBA in the 10th/11th allow a little more physical play than they do in the 16th. They are pretty consistant with it though and you know what you're going to get. IMO the BBA is the best around.

I'd say the BBA in the 10th/11th allow a little more physical play than they do in the 16th. They are pretty consistant with it though and you know what you're going to get. IMO the BBA is the best around.

I would agree with this. I feel it takes stronger officials to call a more physical game, effectively.

Edited by JPP
rewording

Agree the BBA is among the best in the state, and definately allow more physicality than some of the others. Also agree the 9th has a tendency to call too many touchy-feely fouls and incidental hand checks. You can hear it from the stands when a 9th region team ventures into the 10th, or many other parts of the state.

I thought the referees at the KY Prep Classic was very good this weekend. I am not for sure if they were all BBA refs from the 10/11th regions or not. I did see Bo Queen calling one game and Cary Lisle calling another. Of course the teams involved represented several regions, but I did not hear much complaining about the calls.

I thought the referees at the KY Prep Classic was very good this weekend. I am not for sure if they were all BBA refs from the 10/11th regions or not. I did see Bo Queen calling one game and Cary Lisle calling another. Of course the teams involved represented several regions, but I did not hear much complaining about the calls.

I made the trek over to the Arena for the Prep Classic and got to see a great day of basketball.:ylsuper:

The first game between Madison Central and J-Town was called by a crew from the 14th region.

Glenn Napier Dexter Campbell and Brian Cook.

The second game between Elliott Co and Anderson Co. was from the BBA (10th/11th) Region.

Bo Queen Dustin Music and Doug Clay

The third game between South Laurel and Madisonville was called again by a 14th region crew.

Tommy Hutton Brian Cook and Don Hall

And the fourth and final game between Montgomery Co and Manuel was from the BBA.

Cary Lyle Don Werner and Kirk Hudson.

All of these games for the most part were officiated very well.:thumb:

Agree the BBA is among the best in the state, and definately allow more physicality than some of the others. Also agree the 9th has a tendency to call too many touchy-feely fouls and incidental hand checks. You can hear it from the stands when a 9th region team ventures into the 10th, or many other parts of the state.

If you look at a player on the other team too hard in the ninth you will get a foul from the men in stripes.... Then again in some Regions, you won't get a foul called on you unless you draw blood. There has got to be some middle ground and the KHSAA need to set some standards for all to follow....

If you look at a player on the other team too hard in the ninth you will get a foul from the men in stripes.... Then again in some Regions, you won't get a foul called on you unless you draw blood. There has got to be some middle ground and the KHSAA need to set some standards for all to follow....

You can't set standards on subjective decisions.

Secondly, someone else mentioned hand checks. The state is cracking down this year and forcing officials to call hand checks much tighter.