Anyone work for the state?

woodsrider

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a pay cut. We decided we could live with the 3 days. But 12 days a year is a big hit. What would you say if your boss told you either everyone could take a pay cut or a few would have to be laid off? And you wouldn't be one those laid off.
I would take the paycut, but I say that knowing that I'm more, I don't know if this is the right word for it but, "humanitarian" than most people.

Also I now this year I'm making about 1/5th of what I did last year and I find it really isn't that hard to make due if you put effort into it. I'm sure you will be fine, maybe use the two weeks to do something fun, or do some side work like painting or lawn work for someone to make up for some of the loss.

What other alternatives do you feel would yield the same savings?

Where else can it be made up?

It's the state, where can't money be made up. :lol:

My dad works for KCTCS in Henderson. Anyone want to take a guess what the president or chancellor (what ever is title is) over KCTCS makes? There's always ways to cut spending it's just easier to hit the front line workers with it. At least Breasher took a pay cut as well.

Also, how much has the state spent on painting that bridge in Louisville? It crap like that that makes this harder to take.

It's the state, where can't money be made up. :lol:

My dad works for KCTCS in Henderson. Anyone want to take a guess what the president or chancellor (what ever is title is) over KCTCS makes? There's always ways to cut spending it's just easier to hit the front line workers with it. At least Breasher took a pay cut as well.

Also, how much has the state spent on painting that bridge in Louisville? It crap like that that makes this harder to take.

The bridge project wasn't in the time frame where cuts had to be made. Unfortunately, funds that weren't used effectively don't come back.

Ford has shut down production lines.

Here, two departments have employees who are looking a 3-4 more weeks of 1-2 day work weeks. We've actually started helping many employees pre-file online for unemployment benefits, as they are not English speaking employees.

It always frustrates me how many state employees feel they should never be impacted when times get rough. How many paid holidays do state employees receive versus the "average" private company. Many small-businesses have no paid holidays. I know we have 5.

How many accrued sick-days, vacation days are government employees allowed to roll over? We can't roll over any vacation, and only 6 sick days.

The bridge project wasn't in the time frame where cuts had to be made. Unfortunately, funds that weren't used effectively don't come back.

Ford has shut down production lines.

Here, two departments have employees who are looking a 3-4 more weeks of 1-2 day work weeks. We've actually started helping many employees pre-file online for unemployment benefits, as they are not English speaking employees.

It always frustrates me how many state employees feel they should never be impacted when times get rough. How many paid holidays do state employees receive versus the "average" private company. Many small-businesses have no paid holidays. I know we have 5.

How many accrued sick-days, vacation days are government employees allowed to roll over? We can't roll over any vacation, and only 6 sick days.

The bridge comment was just an example of state waste. I know that money can't come back.

As to the sick/vacation days, my wife gets 1 vacaction day and 1 sick day per month, so 12/12 per year. And yes she can roll them over. What does that have to do with any of this? State's have to offer benefits like this because their pay isn't on par with private sector jobs. My wife has a bachelors degree and started out making less then $20,000 a year. Sure she makes ok money now after 12 years but not on par with what she would be making if she worked for a private company.

States aren't like private companies. When times get tough roads still have to be fixed, people still beat their kids, schools still have to teach.

All of this said, I don't want to see anyone lose their job. But why should just state workers carry this. I think this replies in this thread would be a little different if it was about state taxes increasing.

The bridge comment was just an example of state waste. I know that money can't come back.

As to the sick/vacation days, my wife gets 1 vacaction day and 1 sick day per month, so 12/12 per year. And yes she can roll them over. What does that have to do with any of this? State's have to offer benefits like this because their pay isn't on par with private sector jobs. My wife has a bachelors degree and started out making less then $20,000 a year. Sure she makes ok money now after 12 years but not on par with what she would be making if she worked for a private company.

States aren't like private companies. When times get tough roads still have to be fixed, people still beat their kids, schools still have to teach.

All of this said, I don't want to see anyone lose their job. But why should just state workers carry this. I think this replies in this thread would be a little different if it was about state taxes increasing.

I don't understand why you think that state workers are the only one's carrying this. To date, millions have lost their jobs completly in the past years. Many private companies have cut payroll either through lay offs, pay cuts, or similar unpaid days. And they've been doing it for almost a year now.

When the private sector faces such layoffs, etc, it trickles into the funds (via fewer payroll tax revenues, decreased sales taxes because people aren't spending, fewer corporate taxes, etc). The government and it's employees are not immune.

I'll say this once but I feel the biggest waste of state allotted money right now that could go towards benefitting our employees is the building of new courthouses. Does anyone realize how many new courthouses are being built currently, it is shocking and the price tag that goes with them is alarming.

A total of 597 million an average of 15.3 million each.

Adair - 13 Million

Allen - 16

Boyd - 19

Bracken - 12

Breckenridge - 12

Campbell - 30

Carlisle - 13

Fleming - 12

Franklin - 30

Garrard - 12

Grant - 17

Grayson - 17

Green - 12

Hancock - 12

Hart - 12

Hopkins - 21

Jackson - 12

Laurel - 24

Lawrence - 17

Livingston - 9

Logan - 15

Marion - 12

Mercer - 12

Monroe - 11

Morgan - 16

Owen - 12

Pendleton - 12

Pike - 29

Pulaski - 23

Robertson - 4

Rowan - 13

Russell - 12

Shelby - 19

Taylor - 15

Todd - 10

Trigg - 13

Washington - 12

Whitley - 19

Wolfe - 12

I'm all for justice and getting new facilties as that is part of my job with the state, but a lot of these locations already have 2 courthouses, some 3 and 4. I feel during these tougher times that the state could use their resources a little more wisely and not spend this amount on new buildings.

I recently retired from the local Community Mental Health Center. Participated in the state retirement system, but was not a state employee.

Hopefully mandatory unpaid leave will not "count against" months of service with respect to retirement benefits.

This is a good question and one that I hope has been answered. In order to receive credit for a month of service time you must work 100 hours in that month. If twelve days are taken off during one month period you could not get your 100 hours therefore forfeiting one month a year service time credit. This will drastically effect your retirement in the future.

Now if you could use the days as floating days off. Maybe take one day off every couple of weeks, it may not be as bad.

I recently retired form the state and am glad I got out when I did.

Edited by rockmom