Anyone work for the state?

woodsrider

This is a good question and one that I hope has been answered. In order to receive credit for a month of service time you must work 100 hours in that month. If twelve days are taken off during one month period you could not get your 100 hours therefore forfeiting one month a year service time credit. This will drastically effect your retirement in the future.

Now if you could use the days as floating days off. Maybe take one day off every couple of weeks, it may not be as bad.

I recently retired form the state and am glad I got out when I did.

They were told that they had until June 30th to take the initial 3 days. It would be up to the supervisors as to when their employees took the days.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bridge comment was just an example of state waste. I know that money can't come back.

As to the sick/vacation days, my wife gets 1 vacaction day and 1 sick day per month, so 12/12 per year. And yes she can roll them over. What does that have to do with any of this? State's have to offer benefits like this because their pay isn't on par with private sector jobs. My wife has a bachelors degree and started out making less then $20,000 a year. Sure she makes ok money now after 12 years but not on par with what she would be making if she worked for a private company.

States aren't like private companies. When times get tough roads still have to be fixed, people still beat their kids, schools still have to teach.

All of this said, I don't want to see anyone lose their job. But why should just state workers carry this. I think this replies in this thread would be a little different if it was about state taxes increasing.

I don't mean this as a personal jab at you but I get very tired of hearing this used as a logical reason about why state workers should get special deference. If state workers do so badly as compared to the "private sector" then by all means get a job in the "private sector".

Personally if it was up to me I would start cutting jobs. That's what heppens in the "private sector" when they don't have enogh money to pay everyone.

This is a good question and one that I hope has been answered. In order to receive credit for a month of service time you must work 100 hours in that month. If twelve days are taken off during one month period you could not get your 100 hours therefore forfeiting one month a year service time credit. This will drastically effect your retirement in the future.

Now if you could use the days as floating days off. Maybe take one day off every couple of weeks, it may not be as bad.

I recently retired form the state and am glad I got out when I did.

Do you feel you could/should take a cut to your retirement benefits if it were to help current state employees get through this tough time?

Its not limited to the state. I work for a billion $$ privately owned company and we are now required to take 6 unpaid days per quarter. That goes for everyone in the company.

Likewise, the multi-billion dollar corporate powerhouse that I work for has shutdown half the plant for 10-15 days each month from now until July 1. While nobody is laid off, those guys are losing 4-8 hours of scheduled overtime each week because the schedule got shifted...

Nope. The retirement system I am in is in good shape.

So, hypothetically, if the state came to its retirees and asked you to take a cut in your retirement to help those currently working for the state, you would object?

I don't mean this as a personal jab at you but I get very tired of hearing this used as a logical reason about why state workers should get special deference. If state workers do so badly as compared to the "private sector" then by all means get a job in the "private sector".

Personally if it was up to me I would start cutting jobs. That's what heppens in the "private sector" when they don't have enogh money to pay everyone.

I never said they do badly as compared to private sector. I said it isn't on par and if don't think that's true you would be wrong. The state doesn't pay bad if you stay with them for a log period. But it definitely isn't close to what private sector pays. The answer to that isn't simply "get a job in the private sector". For what they lack in pay the state makes alot up in benefits.

I'll say this once but I feel the biggest waste of state allotted money right now that could go towards benefitting our employees is the building of new courthouses. Does anyone realize how many new courthouses are being built currently, it is shocking and the price tag that goes with them is alarming.

A total of 597 million an average of 15.3 million each.

Adair - 13 Million

Allen - 16

Boyd - 19

Bracken - 12

Breckenridge - 12

Campbell - 30

Carlisle - 13

Fleming - 12

Franklin - 30

Garrard - 12

Grant - 17

Grayson - 17

Green - 12

Hancock - 12

Hart - 12

Hopkins - 21

Jackson - 12

Laurel - 24

Lawrence - 17

Livingston - 9

Logan - 15

Marion - 12

Mercer - 12

Monroe - 11

Morgan - 16

Owen - 12

Pendleton - 12

Pike - 29

Pulaski - 23

Robertson - 4

Rowan - 13

Russell - 12

Shelby - 19

Taylor - 15

Todd - 10

Trigg - 13

Washington - 12

Whitley - 19

Wolfe - 12

I'm all for justice and getting new facilties as that is part of my job with the state, but a lot of these locations already have 2 courthouses, some 3 and 4. I feel during these tougher times that the state could use their resources a little more wisely and not spend this amount on new buildings.

I am interested in why no one has commented on this. Breasher says the budget is lacking $450 million. Looks like to me building new buildings should not be high on the priorities list during a down time. They could more the make up what they need but putting these projects on hold. How many other projects are there like this that aren't a must do now type thing?