Monte Merrick a Hilltopper...

Cover Corner

Congrats to a great kid and a great player. As long as his is happy with his choice who can wish him anything but the best. But I have to wonder where was UK. With the obvious kicking woes we had this year, you would have to wonder why they would allow this instate prospect to go elsewhere, even when it was made public he wanted to attended UK. Granted scholly's are limited for this years class, but Seiber will be a Senior next year and I have a feeling we will be think of this decision many times next season where Seiber kicks one wide right in the corner of the endzone.

Congrats to a great kid and a great player. As long as his is happy with his choice who can wish him anything but the best. But I have to wonder where was UK. With the obvious kicking woes we had this year, you would have to wonder why they would allow this instate prospect to go elsewhere, even when it was made public he wanted to attended UK. Granted scholly's are limited for this years class, but Seiber will be a Senior next year and I have a feeling we will be think of this decision many times next season where Seiber kicks one wide right in the corner of the endzone.

Word out of Bell County was that Ortmayer wanted Merrick. He came to visit his home on Tuesday and informed him of Brooks decision. No scholarship for kicker at this time...maybe later. Or offered to let him walk-on and "maybe" get Sieber's scholarship next year. Merrick offered to grey-shirt and look at any options. Ortmayer said they would get back with him by Friday. When they did not, he honored his commitment to Coach Elson and the Hilltopper staff. KY knew he had a deadline with Western this weekend and did nothing.

He really didnt impress me too much at the State Championship game. I am not saying that he terrible or anything, maybe he just had a bad game. His kickoffs were very low and field goals didnt have a lot of height or depth on them. Once again, could have been an off game because he put up some good numbers.

He really didnt impress me too much at the State Championship game. I am not saying that he terrible or anything, maybe he just had a bad game. His kickoffs were very low and field goals didnt have a lot of height or depth on them. Once again, could have been an off game because he put up some good numbers.

It was a very off game. I dont know what the deal was, but he was off. May have been nerves, who knows. And if you were watching warm ups, I dont know how you can say they were all low when he was bombing them from 40+ into the stands, but that was still a little off compared to what we've seen from him in the past. The decision for WKU really shocks me, I had heard from several people he wanted to stay pretty close to home, but I just dont know why he'd choose WKU when there was so many bigger name programs who wanted him. Either way, good luck to Monte at the next level, and I really hope to see him playing on sundays in the future, he really has the potential.

Despite the fact that he missed a fg against Boyle, it was obvious to everyone in the stands that we were witnessing a truly great and gifted kicker. I have never seen extra points travel that high and that far. We were all impressed. Seeing as how I grew up in Bowling Green, I wish him well at WKU, a great school in a great town.:thumb:

Several factors: had to kick the Walmart Special...Rawlings Footballs...worst kicking balls in country! Little or no warm up time compared to normal game...had to kick on first posession; Wide receiver that dropped pass and forced field goal...was the longsnapper...had to be in all the FG units head; 20 mph swirling gusts of wind and on most kickoffs....Hilton did not allow him to kick away...they were trying to line drive the kicks to avoid a Winston Guy late season runback that had eliminated Bell in 2007. Also two of those kicks on the game film were run out of the endzone....not allowed in high school!! Don't forget that his 50 yd. punt set up the winning margin safety in second half. Merrick had three FG's in the previous two games providing the winning margin in each sending Bell on to Louisville. He had well over fifty varsity starts....cannot judge from one game.

Despite the fact that he missed a fg against Boyle, it was obvious to everyone in the stands that we were witnessing a truly great and gifted kicker. I have never seen extra points travel that high and that far. We were all impressed. Seeing as how I grew up in Bowling Green, I wish him well at WKU, a great school in a great town.:thumb:

We at Log Mountain agree. Also remember that he MADE a FG in fourth quarter as well against Boyle that forced the two point attempt at end of game.

Western ia a great school, and a great choice to get a college education.

Also remember that he MADE a FG in fourth quarter as well against Boyle that forced the two point attempt at end of game.

IMO if he had missed that fieldgoal the state title could have been somewhere else, but great players make great plays when they have too. Monte made the kick when his team needed it the most.

Goodluck next season as a hilltopper, as I am sure to see many of your games next season. I have a daughter at Western.:thumb:

Congrats Monte!!! (could not think of a better way to have post number 1,000) Looks like UK may have lost a entire County worth of fans to WKU!!!!

Against BE 2 of the kickoff's were in the endzone the WYMT coverage of the game clearly showed it somehow the officals forgot the rules on those 2 plays:confused::confused::rolleyes: