Monte Merrick a Hilltopper...

Cover Corner

Several factors: had to kick the Walmart Special...Rawlings Footballs...worst kicking balls in country! Little or no warm up time compared to normal game...had to kick on first posession; Wide receiver that dropped pass and forced field goal...was the longsnapper...had to be in all the FG units head; 20 mph swirling gusts of wind and on most kickoffs....Hilton did not allow him to kick away...they were trying to line drive the kicks to avoid a Winston Guy late season runback that had eliminated Bell in 2007. Also two of those kicks on the game film were run out of the endzone....not allowed in high school!! Don't forget that his 50 yd. punt set up the winning margin safety in second half. Merrick had three FG's in the previous two games providing the winning margin in each sending Bell on to Louisville. He had well over fifty varsity starts....cannot judge from one game.

The Trinity kicker had no problem drilling kick after kick into the endzone (both directions) with the same Rawlings footballs, on the same day.

If the coach wanted to elimate a long return, then a line drive is not the answer. The answer is a touchback or a high kick.

The Trinity kicker had no problem drilling kick after kick into the endzone (both directions) with the same Rawlings footballs, on the same day.

If the coach wanted to elimate a long return, then a line drive is not the answer. The answer is a touchback or a high kick.

Merrick had a 94% kickoff ratio this season on over 80 kickoffs. His hangtimes were 4.0 second range and his average distance on full-kickoffs was 71 yds. Most of his kickoffs landed out of the back of the endzone. Merrick kicks...he does not coach....he knows...but Coach Hilton calls the shots.

Congrats to Monte for deciding to go to WKU!!! I met Monte this year at the UT vs. UK game, he noticed my son wearing a Highlands shirt and came up an introduced himself. I don't know to many High school kids that would do this... He is a nice young man and I wish him the best of luck!!!

I am just glad that Monte will recieve a free education and at a quality institution. Monte has the ability to kick on Sunday's one day if he will stay focused and not get satisfied with where his progression is at any point. Great players always find away to make themselves better and as someone thats watched him for several years, he can get better!

I wish you nothing but the best and you have worked hard for this. Now go be one of the best ever.

I am just glad that Monte will recieve a free education and at a quality institution. Monte has the ability to kick on Sunday's one day if he will stay focused and not get satisfied with where his progression is at any point. Great players always find away to make themselves better and as someone thats watched him for several years, he can get better!

I wish you nothing but the best and you have worked hard for this. Now go be one of the best ever.

I believe that he will continue to get better. He has the size and frame to put on weight and strength. If I am not mistaken Merrick has won the "Most Improved Player" given out by Coach Hilton at the Bobcat banquet for two straight years....because coach said he was always trying to improve his game. I wouldn't think that would stop just because he is kicking on Saturdays.

Congrats Monte! Wish you could have played for the cats but the hilltoppers are closer to Owensboro so we will put you on the schedule to come see next year. There are several kids from Owensboro down there and OHS plays at BG next year so hopefully you guys will be at home and you can come out and see the kid from Owensboro kick next year. He may not have the stars at the end of 4 years like you but he will definately be looked at by some of the same schools you were. Good Luck and kickers stay together so we are now Hilltopper fans!