Lexington Public Football - It just doesn't Make Sense

W.E. Raider

I just don't get it. Since 1980, a total of 28 years, the city of Lexington has had a whopping total of 6 appearances in the State championship game by a public school.

1981 - Henry Clay (W)

1985 - Lafayette (L)

1995 - Henry Clay (L)

1996 - PLD (L)

1998 - Tates creek (L)

1999 - B. Station (L)

How is it, or why is it, that a city the size of Lexington, in 28 years, has only been able to produce ONE Public School State Champion? I know Trinity and X present an obvious roadblock, but to have SO FEW appearance by a city that is the second largest by a wide margin points to the fact that there is a real problem somewhere. What say you, why has this city failed so miserably at producing Public School football teams that can get over the hump?

Is it the X and T factor, or is it the city itself?

Edited by W.E. Raider

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think ONE of the factors is that Fayette Co. Schools do not whole heartedly support the feeder programs. I think the middle schools only play six games prior to their playoffs and they are not allowed to play outside of Fayette Co., I believe. I know other middle schools play 10 or 12 games per season, so they get to play more games at that level. This is just one of the reasons, IMHO.

I have always heard it was the administration. Fayette county schools don't really want football is the rumor. Maybe someone can explain it.

Football is the biggest money maker in sports in most school districts. Plus its a great team sport that teaches a lot of discipline and work skills. I can't imagine them (Fayette School Board) being the blind.

The presence of X and T doesn't explain the sub-par performance of Lexington schools, IMO. That could be an explanation as to why LEX doesn't have more titles...if the Fayette County schools were actually playing at that level on a consistent basis. But, they're not.

I have no idea why they're not better, but I know that the presence of two schools in Louisville isn't the reason.

If you look at the mid to late 90s there was a lexington school playing in the state title game 4 times. Since 2000, none. Not saying this is the main reason, but since 2000 and on you had the rise of Lexington Catholic and Lexington Christian both being really good programs A lot of the talented football players in Lexington choose to go there. If you didnt have those two private schools getting some of the best athletes, then I really think there would be several more visits by Lexington schools to the title game this decade..

If you look at the mid to late 90s there was a lexington school playing in the state title game 4 times. Since 2000, none. Not saying this is the main reason, but since 2000 and on you had the rise of Lexington Catholic and Lexington Christian both being really good programs A lot of the talented football players in Lexington choose to go there. If you didnt have those two private schools getting some of the best athletes, then I really think there would be several more visits by Lexington schools to the title game this decade..

:thumb:

I don't think that's solely responsible, but I started to mention in my previous post that the presence of LexCath and LCA in Lexington would have more effect on the the Fayette County schools than T and X in Louisville.

Even with LCA and Lex. Cath., you still do not even have publics in Lexington that stack up in the way that Male has. You would think at least ONE public out of Lexington would grab the kind of ownership of the public domain like Male has...yet they all seem fairly balanced in mediocrity. :confused: