Elliott Co. 132 Boyd Co. 67

There will be comments after most every EC game this year about running up the score. I don't believe it to be retribution to how EC was dominted in the past, they can just shoot. I've stated before, they may be the most entertaining team in KY this year. I've compared them to Loyola Marymont of the 80's.

^

"They are the best — at least in the region, and maybe even the whole state and beyond. And if you really want them to back off, you need to take a lesson in Competition 101.

You don’t ever tell your team to lay off the throttle. Not in basketball especially. How would you do that anyway? Don’t shoot the ball? Don’t play defense? Let that guy have a layup"

^

"They are the best — at least in the region, and maybe even the whole state and beyond. And if you really want them to back off, you need to take a lesson in Competition 101.

You don’t ever tell your team to lay off the throttle. Not in basketball especially. How would you do that anyway? Don’t shoot the ball? Don’t play defense? Let that guy have a layup"

I have been on both sides of this type of game. Growing up and attending a very small high school in Morgan Co we were lucky to win 5 games a year....two of those was Riverside Christian. Now at GRC in 1998...I believe we played MMI in the district tourney. The score was something like 105 to 36. Coach Strong took the starters out after the first quarter, as I don't believe MMI had scored a point. I actually found myself cheering for MMI when they finally scored. We had kids that hardly ever got into a varsity game as the leading scorers that night. Did we run up the score....no. Did we use our bench most of the game...yes. In this type of game I feel that this is the best approach for both teams involved.

I have been on both sides of this type of game. Growing up and attending a very small high school in Morgan Co we were lucky to win 5 games a year....two of those was Riverside Christian. Now at GRC in 1998...I believe we played MMI in the district tourney. The score was something like 105 to 36. Coach Strong took the starters out after the first quarter, as I don't believe MMI had scored a point. I actually found myself cheering for MMI when they finally scored. We had kids that hardly ever got into a varsity game as the leading scorers that night. Did we run up the score....no. Did we use our bench most of the game...yes. In this type of game I feel that this is the best approach for both teams involved.

Coach Strong is a class act all around! If there is a correct way to do things he will set the example!

Alright, here are my thoughts ON THE ACTUAL GAME:

Good showing by Elliott. I feel that they should've played their regular rotation more than they did - probably about 3 full quarters - and then turned it over to the j.v./freshmen team. Coach Mays was trying to be a class act by taking the starters out as much as he did. Boyd continued to press and run with a much better team and thats what the score indicates. Altogether, a good prep for this weekends game with South Charleston.

I could agree with playing the starters only part of one quarter if it were an infrequent occurrence, when it's happening every game you've got to let the starters get in their playing time.