Shock Audio Unearthed Obama Tells San Francisco He Will Bankrupt Coal Industry

This issue has gone viral. Palin is already attacking Obama's promise to bankrupt the coal industry and if McCain is smart, he or Palin will make a visit to the major coal producing states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, New Mexico, and Montana. In a close race, this could be a pivotal issue in multiple states.

In coal-producing states, Obama claims that he supports clean coal technology while his running mate says he does not. Meanwhile, Obama tells San Franciscans that companies will not be able to afford to build new coal plants and that the result will be skyrocketing electricity prices.

This issue hits Obama on multiple levels - his environmental extremism, his intrusive tax policies, and his character.

This issue hits Obama on multiple levels - his environmental extremism, his intrusive tax policies, and his character. The issue is a triple-threat to Obama in all coal-producing states and to a lesser extent any state that relies on power from coal-fired plants.

PUMA is urging McCain supporters to email a link to every TV and radio station in Pennsylvania and I am sure that email addresses for all stations in other coal-producing states will follow. This story will demand attention tomorrow and I will be surprised if the McCain campaign does not run TV and radio spots on this issue tomorrow.

Palin Unleashes New Attack Against Obama On Coal

(MARIETTA, OHIO) - Seizing on a newly released audio tape picked up by the Drudge Report, Sarah Palin took the opportunity here in coal country to accuse Barack Obama of “talking about bankrupting the coal industry.”

“He said that, sure, if the industry wants to build coal-fired power plants, then they can go ahead and try, he says, but they can do it only in a way that will bankrupt the coal industry, and he's comfortable letting that happen,” Palin said. “And you got to listen to the tape.”

The audiotape Palin was referring to was recorded by the San Francisco Chronicle in a Jan. 17 interview.

“Why is the audiotape just now surfacing?” Palin asked, leading someone in the crowd to shout, “Liberal media!”

“This interview was given to San Francisco folks many, many months ago,” Palin said. “You should have known about this, so that you would have better decision-making information as you go into the voting booth.”

Edited by Hoot Gibson

Here's a verse to oldie but goody song by Carole King.

And it's too late baby, now it's too late

Though we really did try to make it

Something inside has died and I can't hide

And I just can't fake it, oh no no no no.

Are you OK with the fact that people went into the voting booths uninformed on this critical issue? I see too many Obama supporters just dismissing this and stating it is too late as it is supposed to be a funny joke.

Here's a verse to oldie but goody song by Carole King.

And it's too late baby, now it's too late

Though we really did try to make it

Something inside has died and I can't hide

And I just can't fake it, oh no no no no.

We live in a coal state

Are you happy that if your messiah gets his way all of our electricity bills will skyrocket (his words)?

This prove 2 things to me

1. The media has protected Obama

2. MANY (not all, wouldn't want to be accused of painting with to broad a brush) have no idea what an Obama presidency will mean for all of us. They are so eaten up with hate for the current administration they are willing to accept anything.

I hope that the McCain campaign is smart enough to run ads and make calls on this issue to voters in all major coal producing states.

Notice that the Obama campaign is trotting out its standard defense that is used whenever damaging information about Obama surfaces. They are charging that Obama's words are being taken out of context.

Of course, it is true that when campaigning in West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, Obama has portrayed himself as a proponent of clean coal technology. As with all of Obama's grand schemes, the devil is in the details of what he does not say when he is pandering to a particular group of voters. In this case, he omits the fact that he believes that his cap and trade program will price the coal industry out of the energy business.

Anybody who takes time to listen to Obama's own words on this topic will understand that nothing has been taken out of context. One must listen to what Obama says in San Francisco as well as what he says in small towns in coal country to fully understand how cynical his policy toward coal production and utilization is.

Calls slam Obama in coal country

Candidates target Pennsylvania, Ohio

Christina Bellantoni (Contact) and Joseph Curl (Contact)

Monday, November 3, 2008

WALLINGFORD, Pa.

The two presidential candidates stomped into the other party's territory Sunday, with Sen. Barack Obama making a run for "red" Ohio, while Sen. John McCain battled to put "blue" Pennsylvania in his column with the aid of automated calls using Mr. Obama's own words to accuse him of planning to bankrupt the coal industry.

Getty Images 'WE'VE GOT WORK TO DO': Sen. Barack Obama warns a crowd outside the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus not to become complacent in the last few days before Election Day.

The Republican National Committee, meanwhile, targeted voters in Pennsylvania, Ohio and other coal-producing states with "robocalls" saying that "coal jobs, which are so important to our community, are in jeopardy. ... Listen to Barack Obama's plans to bankrupt the coal industry."

The call then plays an excerpt from a January interview that Mr. Obama gave the San Francisco Chronicle in which he defends his proposal for a cap-and-trade system to limit emissions of carbon dioxide by requiring power plants and others to buy the right to emit the harmful gas.

Listen to Obama's plans for the coal states.

"So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted," he said.

The Obama campaign denounced the RNC calls as taking his quote "wildly" out of context, saying that elsewhere in the interview, Mr. Obama calls the idea of banning coal burning "an illusion."

Interesting that Obama says that he will run the coal type factories out of business by.....................................raising their taxes.:sssh::sssh:

The centerpiece of his tax plan is ............raising taxes on businesses.:sssh:

I will let you put 2 and 2 together to get the results of Obama's tax plan.

Interesting that Obama says that he will run the coal type factories out of business by.....................................raising their taxes.:sssh::sssh:

The centerpiece of his tax plan is ............raising taxes on businesses.:sssh:

I will let you put 2 and 2 together to get the results of Obama's tax plan.

I love the euphemism that Obama uses for intentionally causing consumer prices for electricity to "skyrocket" - "price signals" to force a change in behavior. "Price signals" sounds so innocent compared to tax increases or government mandates. :lol:

Link to audio clips of the interview

Barack Obama, in S.F., takes on the Clintons (53 minute video)

I have not been able to find a link to the original article and there is apparently no transcript of the interview on the SF Chronicle's web site.

Thanks for the 53 minute clip. It will be tonight before I can watch it.

Even if he gets in with a 60 vote Senate I can't see him being able to get some of these things passed. Let's face it, both sides sometimes (often?) put party ahead of country but at the individual level, a senator or congressman is going to put his own interests (re-election) ahead of his/her party. There's a lot of votes in coal country, certainly enough to bottle up a bad bill.

^

It's neither. Again, trying to find something that will stick. Keep on searching, times almost up.

What are your thoughts on his comments? This isn't anyone trying to spin his words into something they aren't. Just curious why Obama supporters are so quick to dismiss any negatives against him.