1. 1. Do you consider abortion a sin?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because God used war at times for His purposes.

Don't remember reading about God using abortion for His purposes in the Bible.

I did not know that. But what about the Commandment like TB&G said? Thou shalt not kill. That's a pretty simple rule, do you still allow exception to it? How do you feel about the death penalty?

I did not know that. But what about the Commandment like TB&G? Thou shalt not kill. That's a pretty simple rule, do you still allow exception to it? How do you feel about the death penalty?

Here comes a classic answer. This is where you get told that God should choose when life begins and ends, unless the person commits a crime. Then humans (with our infinite wisdom and infallibility) get to make that decision.

LBBC - Do you think that we should make laws against all sins? For example, adultery, pre-marital sex, etc?

No. The difference is that abortion ends in death. Those have immoral consequences, but I don't think that government has the right to regulate it.

And yes, I do think that the government has the right to regulate in situations with end with the death of an infant. I think it was JS Mill who said the best way to test democracy is to see how the weakest, most vulnerable members of society are treated. Until we protect our infants, then our democracy is tainted.

Should we also make taking oral contraceptives ("the pill") illegal, as it sometimes "works" after conception occurs?

That is a tough question, that I will need to give more thought to.

I do agree on your two points about the wars.

I do not understand however how you don't see the intended killing of another human being as murder, what ever the reasoning behind it.

For my own clarification, do you believe all acts of killing during wartime are tantamount to murder? I'm asking because you said you agree with my points about the war and my points involve the necessity of the taking of lives. In other words, are you just differentiating between justifiable and unjustified homicide?

Here comes a classic answer. This is where you get told that God should choose when life begins and ends, unless the person commits a crime. Then humans (with our infinite wisdom and infallibility) get to make that decision.

This is where punishment by a government is not an individual murdering someone. God punished sodom and gamora with death. Are you saying God commited a sin by killing those people? Thou shalt not kill is a directive to you as an individual. God led the Israelites to war several times. War doesn't automatically mean murder. Punishment doesn't mean murder.

For my own clarification, do you believe all acts of killing during wartime are tantamount to murder?

I'm asking because you said you agree with my points about the war and my points involve the necessity of the taking of lives. In other words, are you just differentiating between justifiable and unjustified homicide?

No, not all acts.

In a sense yes. I'm not religious so I'm more curious towards everybody's opinion on the subject. I'm really just playing devils advocate to find out how religious people justify some acts of death while shunning others.

For my own clarification, do you believe all acts of killing during wartime are tantamount to murder? I'm asking because you said you agree with my points about the war and my points involve the necessity of the taking of lives. In other words, are you just differentiating between justifiable and unjustified homicide?

I think you raise the issue, is what we do in wartime the same as the prohibition of Murder in the Commandments?

I think there are most likely activities in war (battles, attacks, defense, etc.) that would be qualified under the "Just War Theology" that another pointed us to.

However not all acts of War are acts of war are they?

For example: Was Mai Lai an act of war? Was the slaying of US captured prisoners in the Ardennes during the Battle of the Bulge an act of war or murder? Was the killing of Negro prisoners at Fort Pillow war or murder?

I see it like this. No matter what we do as a nation, there will always be abortions, there have been since the dawn of time. Had you rather someone get an abortion from some quack nut job and bear the risk of killing themselves along with the baby, or had you rather have them go to a professional. They can always repent.

Because God used war at times for His purposes.

Don't remember reading about God using abortion for His purposes in the Bible.

He did tell the people in PSALMS to bash all of the little childrens heads against the stones - so like Obama He supports infanticide:irked:

This is of course assuming that you take all of the stories in the old testatment literally. He told his followers to kill all women and children of a particular culture so He was also into genocide.:irked:

One of the times it's nice to be a Catholic...

- Life begins at conception.

- The deliberate taking of innocent life is murder.

- Murder is a sin.

- Ergo, abortion is murder and therefore, a sin.

QED

:thumb:

My question is if murder is a sin, then why is war acceptable to those who believe that? Is there an asterisk somewhere in the bible to help explain this?

I agree with you there. From a Christian perspective, war cannot be justified. Some try by ignoring the teachings of Jesus and the rest of the New Testament and citing examples of what God did and commanded Israel to do in the Old Testament. But, it flies in the face of the teachings in the New Covenant...love your enemies, turn the other cheek, etc.

I see it like this. No matter what we do as a nation, there will always be abortions, there have been since the dawn of time. Had you rather someone get an abortion from some quack nut job and bear the risk of killing themselves along with the baby, or had you rather have them go to a professional. They can always repent.

Is that a reason to condone and make something more widely and readily available? :devil:

I agree with you there. From a Christian perspective, war cannot be justified. Some try by ignoring the teachings of Jesus and the rest of the New Testament and citing examples of what God did and commanded Israel to do in the Old Testament. But, it flies in the face of the teachings in the New Covenant...love your enemies, turn the other cheek, etc.

amen