Does this not bother you if you are voting for Obama?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that current felons shouldn't be allowed to vote. But once you'd paid your debt, shouldn't basic civil liberties be restored?

Like I said, it's a difficult topic. Either way, ex-felons can vote in most states (I think). There aren't laws against it except for a few states. It's kind of an urban myth among felons, which is why you have these activists going around telling them.

Part of being charged with a felony according to the law is losing your right to vote. The fact that people are arguing this is a joke.

That isn't true. According to The Sentencing Project,

Two states deny the right to vote to all ex-offenders who have completed their sentences. Nine others disenfranchise certain categories of ex-offenders and/or permit application for restoration of rights for specified offenses after a waiting period (e.g., five years in Delaware and Wyoming, and two years in Nebraska).

I really think it also depends on the crime, as far as joining the military, too.

Part of being part of society is being civilized. And, they may as well pay taxes. Our tax $$$ fed and clothed them because of being stupid and having to do the time.

So current felons can vote? Interesting....

Wait....are you talking about felons currently incarcerated? If so, I incorrectly interpreted what you said.

Only two states (Maine and Vermont) allow currently incarcerated people to vote.

But in terms of ex-felons, yes, they can vote in most states.

We can debate until we are blue in the face about whether they should have the right to vote alone, but the Dems seem to be taking this a step further by ACTIVELY seeking this vote, this truly bothers me, and if I were an Obama supporter I would be concerned with what type of message this is sending.

If a person has served their time they should be restored the right to vote.

Let's as a basic, human-interest question: Do you believe that a person cannot change, that their rights should be forever terminated if they commit a crime, regardless of the circumstances?

People like to cry "Murderer's shouldn't vote!" But, if they've done their sentence, they're released and expected to rejoin the "real" world. They're expected to hold jobs, pay taxes and be productive citizens. Why should they be denied the rights of other citizens after their release? They can join the military, get a college education, become model citizens, yet be denied the right to vote?

So, the quandry I see here is this: If we are to expect that prison time is a means of finite punishment for most, and that in the ideological sense, it's "graduates" rejoin society reformed, why should their rights not be restored?

:thumb:

Wait....are you talking about felons currently incarcerated? If so, I incorrectly interpreted what you said.

Only two states (Maine and Vermont) allow currently incarcerated people to vote.

But in terms of ex-felons, yes, they can vote in most states.

Yeah, I was talking about current felons...Someone brought it up earlier, and I didn't feel like going back to quote it.

Part of being charged with a felony according to the law is losing your right to vote. The fact that people are arguing this is a joke.

Why is it a joke? Isn't the aim of the penal (sp?) system 2 fold: Justice and the hope of rehabilitation? All many states do is try to create a system that allows steps to of rehabilitation to be taken so that people can become a contributing part of society.

I in no way think it should be as easy as signing a card (like some in this article may be hoping for), but I do think if steps can be taken and uniformly administered then someone can be allowed to vote again.

If a person has served their time they should be restored the right to vote.

:thumb:

The other night on the local news here in Georgia they were also mentioning this story and bringing up how people are both doing voter registration and early voting for people who have been charged with a felony but have yet to be convicted. It is entirely possible for someone to vote for a candidate and then be convicted for a felony prior to the official election in November.

I am sorry, but if it were Conservative groups actively seeking this vote I would feel exactly the same and find a hard time for anyone defend actively seeking this vote!

Why is it a joke? Isn't the aim of the penal (sp?) system 2 fold: Justice and the hope of rehabilitation? All many states do is try to create a system that allows steps to of rehabilitation to be taken so that people can become a contributing part of society.

I in no way think it should be as easy as signing a card (like some in this article may be hoping for), but I do think if steps can be taken and uniformly administered then someone can be allowed to vote again.

Was talking about current felons....I'll remember to be more specific next time.

Just because they "did their time" is not enough. What if they are on parole? They did their time. No one "does their time" anyway. They serve 1/4 or 1/2 of what they are sentenced and then walk free.

Rights should be forfeited until they can prove they are productive, law abiding citizenry.

This is not a game of golf where we can get a mulligan. They messed up badly enought to be incarcerated, and part of the punishment is surrendering certain rights. The old cliche "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" rings true here. Part of "the time" is what happens after actual incarceration.

The only problem with your generalization is the last 8 years under a Republican. Under Bush we have created bigger government from "No Child Left Behind," to "Homeland Security," to now the "Bailout Bill."
While I'll agree with "No child left behind", I suppose that our Homeland security wasn't a necessity after 9/11.:confused: And for what it's worth, besides the probable appointment of 2 or possibly 3 liberal SC judges, our more than questionable "homeland security" under Obamas watch is my biggest fear.