Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland vs Woodford Co.

Who You Got, in this District Game 69 members have voted

  1. 1. Who You Got, in this District Game

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

^ I agree with both of you. Let's all win out and let the chips fall where they may.

  • Replies 72
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Duckworth ankle still giving him problems. Nail biter til the end.

Ashland 21

Woodford 14

I was curious the other day and did some research on the playoff scenarios for my area (Northeast Kentucky) teams and realized how bad Ashland has it compared to Raceland and Russell! If things go as expected, Raceland has a playoff road of Clinton County at home, the winner of Fairview-Campbellsville at home, either LCA at home or at Williamsburg, at Hazard, and then a state championship game playing Beechwood. Russell would play Magoffin County at home, Sheldon Clark at home, at Belfry, Breathitt County at home, and then a state championship game playing Louisville Central.

 

Ashland, however, travels to Fort Thomas Highlands if they end up being the 4th seed in their district. If they get the 3rd seed, they get to travel to Covington Catholic. If they get the 2nd seed, they get to play at home against Dixie Heights in round 1 only to get to go to Fort Thomas Highlands in round 2 if they win. If they manage to really get on a run and get the 1 seed, they get Covington Holmes at Ashland, then likely Covington Catholic at Ashland, and then at Fort Thomas Highlands in round 3. OUCH!

 

To tie this post to the subject of the thread, these next few district games are VERY important to Ashland in order to avoid a round 1 trip to Northern Kentucky. Any way you slice it, it stinks to be in the Tomcats district. Raceland and Russell have a huge advantage in this regard.

 

I agree with all that you are saying, but if Ashland were to get the #1 seed in the district and win the first 2 rounds, they would have Highlands(most likely) at home. Even districts hold regional championships in even # years as well as State-Semi Final games.

I agree with all that you are saying, but if Ashland were to get the #1 seed in the district and win the first 2 rounds, they would have Highlands(most likely) at home. Even districts hold regional championships in even # years as well as State-Semi Final games.

 

I directed my post towards Ashland, but it obviously applies to Johnson Central as well...who is actually the most likely #1 seed in the district when everything plays out. The presence of Covington Catholic and Fort Thomas Highlands in the district they have to play in the first rounds of the playoffs make their road to the state championship game nearly impossible.

The only question I have with you comment tater, is how do you think Woodford’s O Line will compare with their Boyd Co counterparts? Something tells me that if Duckworth is completing over 69% of his passes, he is getting some solid protection…his line must be relatively quick and can sustain a block. During the Ashland vs. Boyd Co game, the Lions offensive line was doing anything BUT protecting their quarterback. I would be delighted to be wrong about this though and see the Ashland D camp out in Woodford’s backfield like they did against Boyd.

Good point Painter. Woodford's line from what I can tell, (I didn't go to that game but listened to it on the radio and spoke with people who did go to the game), is a lot stronger than Boyd's. You're right Boyd's pass protection is absolutely awful. Also, I think Woodford's receivers are a little more skilled than Boyd's. I'm not sure Ashland has played an offense like Woodford's yet this year. Should make for an interesting game.

Good point Painter. Woodford's line from what I can tell, (I didn't go to that game but listened to it on the radio and spoke with people who did go to the game), is a lot stronger than Boyd's. You're right Boyd's pass protection is absolutely awful. Also, I think Woodford's receivers are a little more skilled than Boyd's. I'm not sure Ashland has played an offense like Woodford's yet this year. Should make for an interesting game.

 

You are being kind. I'm sure that we have not played anyone like Woodford.

  • Author
I was curious the other day and did some research on the playoff scenarios for my area (Northeast Kentucky) teams and realized how bad Ashland has it...Ashland travels to Fort Thomas Highlands if they end up being the 4th seed in their district. If they get the 3rd seed, they get to travel to Covington Catholic. If they get the 2nd seed, they get to play at home against Dixie Heights in round 1 only to get to go to Fort Thomas Highlands in round 2 if they win. If they manage to really get on a run and get the 1 seed, they get Covington Holmes at Ashland, then likely Covington Catholic at Ashland, and then at Fort Thomas Highlands in round 3. OUCH!

 

To tie this post to the subject of the thread, these next few district games are VERY important to Ashland in order to avoid a round 1 trip to Northern Kentucky...

 

You bring up a very interesting topic, ryan…and one I purposefully have avoided when I think about the different scenarios Ashland may encounter this season. It’s a bit like that old phrase about trying to “ignore the 700 pound gorilla sitting in the corner”. The cliché about not looking beyond the next game gives me a valid excuse to ignore what may lie ahead should success continue to embrace the Tomcats this season.

 

This Saturday, Woodford (2 – 1 district) will wrap up their district games at Putnam Stadium. Even though both teams have 4 – 2 overall records, the Tomcats have only played one district game in their win against Montgomery Co. Both Montgomery and Bryan Station are midway through the district and both are winless in those games.

 

If Ashland is going to challenge for a district title, the Woodford Co game looms large. JC has already beaten BS and WC…two teams expected to give Ashland a stout test in the regular season. For now, however, I’m throwing a crate of bananas to that ape in the corner and thinking only about Woodford.

You bring up a very interesting topic, ryan…and one I purposefully have avoided when I think about the different scenarios Ashland may encounter this season. It’s a bit like that old phrase about trying to “ignore the 700 pound gorilla sitting in the corner”. The cliché about not looking beyond the next game gives me a valid excuse to ignore what may lie ahead should success continue to embrace the Tomcats this season.

 

This Saturday, Woodford (2 – 1 district) will wrap up their district games at Putnam Stadium. Even though both teams have 4 – 2 overall records, the Tomcats have only played one district game in their win against Montgomery Co. Both Montgomery and Bryan Station are midway through the district and both are winless in those games.

 

If Ashland is going to challenge for a district title, the Woodford Co game looms large. JC has already beaten BS and WC…two teams expected to give Ashland a stout test in the regular season. For now, however, I’m throwing a crate of bananas to that ape in the corner and thinking only about Woodford.

Montgomery and Bryan Station play tomorrow night at Montgomery which will most likely determine who the 4th team in is. A lot will shake out tomorrow night after these two games, Montgomery loses they're out, Montgomery wins, then Bryan Station would have to beat Ashland, and hope that Ashland loses to Woodford, Johnson Central and to Station which would create a threeway tie. Whew wee. Head is spinning. If Woodford beats Ashland tomorrow they lock up the 2 seed correct? They've already beaten Montgomery and Station.

Montgomery and Bryan Station play tomorrow night at Montgomery which will most likely determine who the 4th team in is. A lot will shake out tomorrow night after these two games, Montgomery loses they're out, Montgomery wins, then Bryan Station would have to beat Ashland, and hope that Ashland loses to Woodford, Johnson Central and to Station which would create a threeway tie. Whew wee. Head is spinning. If Woodford beats Ashland tomorrow they lock up the 2 seed correct? They've already beaten Montgomery and Station.

 

 

You’re making my head spin too Tater. :D

 

The only team in our district that will be finished with district play after this week is Woodford. There are still several good games to be played. I think the current district records are:

 

JC (2/0) beat WC & BS with MC and ASH to play - idle this week

 

WC (2/1) beat BS & MC lost to JC with ASH to play

ASH (1/0) beat MC with WC, BS & JC to play

 

BS (0/2) lost to JC & WC with MC and ASH to play

MC (0/2) lost to WC & ASH with BS and JC to play

 

 

I hope Ashland can continue to improve each week and make an impact on the district standings when it's all said and done.

  • Author
Montgomery and Bryan Station play tomorrow night at Montgomery which will most likely determine who the 4th team in is. A lot will shake out tomorrow night after these two games, Montgomery loses they're out, Montgomery wins, then Bryan Station would have to beat Ashland, and hope that Ashland loses to Woodford, Johnson Central and to Station which would create a threeway tie. Whew wee. Head is spinning. If Woodford beats Ashland tomorrow they lock up the 2 seed correct? They've already beaten Montgomery and Station.

 

Either BS or MC will pick up their first district win tomorrow, and in all probability, the looser of that game is odd man out for the playoffs. If WC wins tomorrow, that should put them in a position to finish 2nd in the district race with a final record of 3 – 1.

 

Ashland is just getting started and I like the fact that the Tomcats can control their own destiny right now. Certainly, there are still a variety of mathematical possibilities to how this district COULD end up, but JC is still on top of things until someone knocks them off.

 

Is it Saturday yet?

Are the Tomcats expecting a large crowd with it being a Saturday game. I wouldnt expect Woodford Co., being so far away to bring a big crowd, but I would suspect alot of people from other schools may want to see this game.

  • Author
Are the Tomcats expecting a large crowd with it being a Saturday game. I wouldnt expect Woodford Co., being so far away to bring a big crowd, but I would suspect alot of people from other schools may want to see this game.

 

Word on the street is, No...Woodford isnt known for travelling well to far away games. Since I didnt see last year's game in Versailles, I wonder what the Ashland crowd was like then.

 

As for other area schools, I would think some would attend this game since it is on Saturday, however, there are some really good collegiate games that day too.

Word on the street is, No...Woodford isnt known for travelling well to far away games. Since I didnt see last year's game in Versailles, I wonder what the Ashland crowd was like then.

 

As for other area schools, I would think some would attend this game since it is on Saturday, however, there are some really good collegiate games that day too.

This is prime example of how the class system in Kentucky has gotten messed up. Here you have two teams that are 2 hours apart in the same district. I really feel for the Ashland kids who have three teams, Station, Woodford, and Montgomery that are at least 1 1/2 hours away.

  • Author
This is prime example of how the class system in Kentucky has gotten messed up. Here you have two teams that are 2 hours apart in the same district. I really feel for the Ashland kids who have three teams, Station, Woodford, and Montgomery that are at least 1 1/2 hours away.

 

I couldn't agree with you more, tater. Ashland applied to KHSAA in a timely manner to be moved from 5A to 4A in 2009 "due to geographic problems with enrollment and enrollment decline since adoption of the new alignment". This request, along with the same one made by Johnson Central, was denied stating "To approve this request KHSAA would have to place a different enrollment standard on this one school compared with the other 219. In addition, another school with exactly the same two-year average enrollment remains in Class 5A. Geography of this district will be thoroughly reviewed as Board works toward 2011 and beyond alignment during 2008-2009 school year.":rolleyes: yeah, right.:mad:

 

Every away district game Ashland plays is over an hour away not to mention the enrollment issue more than likely puts Ashland as the smallest team competing in 5A. My primary objection to this whole situation is based on enrollment issues, not just geography. Perhaps Ashland was spoiled when it was in the same district with our close neighbors: Boyd, Rowan, Greenup and Lawrence Cos...and then regionally with Bell and Rockcastle.

 

Sorry to stray off topic, but this is a constant burr under my saddle and it looks like nothing will change it until 2011. Next year, Bryan Station does move up to 6A.

  • Author

It was odd not playing on Friday night, but it sets up for a great day of football for Saturday!

 

Are there any other Saturday games in the state?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.