Painter

Who You Got, in this District Game  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who You Got, in this District Game

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much does Duckworth contribute to Wordford's offense and in what ways?

Duckworth, IMO, is what makes there spread so dangerous. He is both a viable threat running and throwing out of the spread. He can create plays with his feet and time for his recievers to get open. IMO for Ashland to win, they will have to be able to create and containment with there front 4. If you blitz and miss, it could be very dangerous. They also run a hurry up offense which doesnt give you much time to adjust to there set.

Duckworth, IMO, is what makes there spread so dangerous. He is both a viable threat running and throwing out of the spread. He can create plays with his feet and time for his recievers to get open. IMO for Ashland to win, they will have to be able to create and containment with there front 4. If you blitz and miss, it could be very dangerous. They also run a hurry up offense which doesnt give you much time to adjust to there set.

Thanks for the analysis JC Alumni 76. Duckworth sounds like a very dangerous QB. I don't get to see Woodford Co. - or even get much information about them because they are so far away.

Thanks for the information JCAlum. It looks like an obvious key to this game will be to contain Duckworth in some way. He is a special player and set the school record during a single game completing 40 of 49 (81.6%) passes for 416 yards :eek: (This also tied the state record for number of completions). Apparently he does a great job spreading the wealth around with his receiving corps too. So far this season, Woodford has 5 players in double figures for pass receptions and they all are very evenly spread:

Jones – 28 receptions 276 yards

Neal – 29 receptions 332 yards

Forkner 19 receptions 218 yards

Carter 18 receptions 186 yards

Peavler 23 receptions 271 yards…..you get my drift….Duckworth can find the open man. As far as rushing the ball, Woodford’s leader is Carter (same guy who snagged 18 catches) with 303 total yards in 6 games…next in line is Duckworth who has rushed for 5 scores to compliment his 14 TD passes.

Woodfords defense, however, gives up over 300 rushing yards a game. Its no secret that Ashland can run the ball…this is perhaps the answer the Tomcats will have to compensate for the damage Duckworth can do with his arm. I like the ground control and game tempo aspects that Ashland’s running game may be able to provide…the best way to contain Duckworth is keep him on the sidelines.

Ashland’s defense has not faced anything like this so far. It will take every Tomcat stepping up their game a notch or two to win this game. The good news is, I still believe this Ashland team CAN improve…these Tomcats have not peaked yet…but, they have to go out and actually DO IT.

^^^ Wow, those are impressive stats Painter. This is clearly the best team that we’ve faced so far this year.

On offense the Tomcats need long sustained drives – keeping Duckworth and Company on the sidelines as you say. Our defense will be truly tested.

The Tomcats have not peaked yet. We don’t know how good they can be. I have confidence that the coaches will keep them focused on improvement. I also believe that this is a mature team that will take the instruction and get better.

This is a big test, a big game – I can’t wait to see what happens

Has Ashland played a team with a true passing threat yet ?

Raceland threw the ball with success against them but if I remember correctly, they did just as much damage on the ground. They are a very balanced team.

How have the Ashland defensive backs held up against the passing game so far this season ?

Has Ashland played a team with a true passing threat yet ?

Raceland threw the ball with success against them but if I remember correctly, they did just as much damage on the ground. They are a very balanced team.

How have the Ashland defensive backs held up against the passing game so far this season ?

No they haven't faced anyone that passes like Woodford County. I was thinking most of Raceland's damage against Ashland came on the ground.

Has Ashland played a team with a true passing threat yet ?...How have the Ashland defensive backs held up against the passing game so far this season ?

The Tomcats have not faced a strong passing attack this season. Raceland probably could have passed more, but used the pass just enough to keep our run defense honest. It looks like Woodford relies on the pass but I don’t know if that is a choice driven by a weak ground game, or simply an offensive philosophy. Your question about the Ashland secondary is one that weighs heavily on my mind too…one thing is for sure, we will have an answer on this subject sometime around 9:00pm Saturday evening.

Athletically, I think the Tomcats have the speed to cover most receivers, but they are going to have to learn quickly in this game. Someone mentioned that Woodford also employs a hurry up offense from time to time...I dont believe we have seen much of that, if any, this year as well. I’m confident though that Coach Hart and Ashland’s Defensive Coordinator, Tony Love, will have something in place for these threats.

Don’t forget, too, that Ashland’s D Line should be able to hold their own in the middle…Duckworth is going to have to do most of his damage on some form of bootleg or rollout to be effective IMO. The Tomcat corners will need to be disciplined in following their assignments and the safety is going to really need to be on his toes.

The Tomcats have not faced a strong passing attack this season. Raceland probably could have passed more, but used the pass just enough to keep our run defense honest. It looks like Woodford relies on the pass but I don’t know if that is a choice driven by a weak ground game, or simply an offensive philosophy. Your question about the Ashland secondary is one that weighs heavily on my mind too…one thing is for sure, we will have an answer on this subject sometime around 9:00pm Saturday evening.

Athletically, I think the Tomcats have the speed to cover most receivers, but they are going to have to learn quickly in this game. Someone mentioned that Woodford also employs a hurry up offense from time to time...I dont believe we have seen much of that, if any, this year as well. I’m confident though that Coach Hart and Ashland’s Defensive Coordinator, Tony Love, will have something in place for these threats.

Don’t forget, too, that Ashland’s D Line should be able to hold their own in the middle…Duckworth is going to have to do most of his damage on some form of bootleg or rollout to be effective IMO. The Tomcat corners will need to be disciplined in following their assignments and the safety is going to really need to be on his toes.

Duckworth is not quicker than Zac Wilson of Boyd and he couldn't make the edge and ran for his life the whole game. I think Ashland's team speed and strong D-line play are going to give Woodford's offense fits.

Duckworth is not quicker than Zac Wilson of Boyd and he couldn't make the edge and ran for his life the whole game. I think Ashland's team speed and strong D-line play are going to give Woodford's offense fits.

The only question I have with you comment tater, is how do you think Woodford’s O Line will compare with their Boyd Co counterparts? Something tells me that if Duckworth is completing over 69% of his passes, he is getting some solid protection…his line must be relatively quick and can sustain a block. During the Ashland vs. Boyd Co game, the Lions offensive line was doing anything BUT protecting their quarterback. I would be delighted to be wrong about this though and see the Ashland D camp out in Woodford’s backfield like they did against Boyd.

I was curious the other day and did some research on the playoff scenarios for my area (Northeast Kentucky) teams and realized how bad Ashland has it compared to Raceland and Russell! If things go as expected, Raceland has a playoff road of Clinton County at home, the winner of Fairview-Campbellsville at home, either LCA at home or at Williamsburg, at Hazard, and then a state championship game playing Beechwood. Russell would play Magoffin County at home, Sheldon Clark at home, at Belfry, Breathitt County at home, and then a state championship game playing Louisville Central.

Ashland, however, travels to Fort Thomas Highlands if they end up being the 4th seed in their district. If they get the 3rd seed, they get to travel to Covington Catholic. If they get the 2nd seed, they get to play at home against Dixie Heights in round 1 only to get to go to Fort Thomas Highlands in round 2 if they win. If they manage to really get on a run and get the 1 seed, they get Covington Holmes at Ashland, then likely Covington Catholic at Ashland, and then at Fort Thomas Highlands in round 3. OUCH!

To tie this post to the subject of the thread, these next few district games are VERY important to Ashland in order to avoid a round 1 trip to Northern Kentucky. Any way you slice it, it stinks to be in the Tomcats district. Raceland and Russell have a huge advantage in this regard.

ryanparker, I agree. I don't think anyone has it easy in the playoffs, but Ashland definitely has a hard road in the playoffs. Buy, I do think, if they come in 1st or second, they will have a good opportunity to win several playoff games. But, if they have to face Highlands in the first or second rounds, well, they will have little chance.