Explaining Obama's 'Shift to the Center'

Honestly, I pay very little attention to what a candidate says on the campaign stump anyway. To me a past voting record provides a better analysis of a candidate's position on issues (although one must carefully examine a vote, as often a particular vote may be more based on the numerous amendments added to the main thrust of the bill than the main thrust of the bill itself). I don't think there can be much, if any, debate, that McCain is trying to attract the right while not alienating the moderates, and Obama is trying to attract the moderates while not alienating the far left. A very tough balancing act. I don't approve of Jackson's "threat", but the point he was making is accurate: Obama is pandering to the religious types. McCain has pandered to other voting groups. The real issue is: will voters be so gullible to believe what is being said on the stump.

Look at how many here have fallen for Obama's bill of goods hook, line and sinker.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I merely stated my opinion that I have a right to do as others have on here. Nothing more and nothing less. Thanks for the attempt at mind reading and spinning things to what you want them to say though, there seems to be alot of that on here as well. Maybe you are just taking an opportunity to jump on an opinion that you didn't like. Pot......meet Kettle. :rolleyes::lol:

As for my spelling blunder, thanks for the correction and I apologize. :D

Do you care to contribute and discuss what the article says?

I'd much rather read opinions on that over statements saying Kerry/Gore/Obama are all the same.

Do you care to contribute and discuss what the article says?

I'd much rather read opinions on that over statements saying Kerry/Gore/Obama are all the same.

You know, some people on here take themselves way to seriously :lol:. No, I do not care to discuss the article, I made the statement that I wanted to make. Others have posted what they have wanted to post. I don't have a problem with any of them and if you have problem with my post then my advice to you would be not to read it.

Calm down hb :lol:. I apologize for not posting what you wanted to see and I will leave you to your wonderful article now......:sleep::walk:

You know, some people on here take themselves way to seriously :lol:. No, I do not care to discuss the article, I made the statement that I wanted to make. Others have posted what they have wanted to post. I don't have a problem with any of them and if you have problem with my post then my advice to you would be not to read it.

Calm down hb :lol:. I apologize for not posting what you wanted to see and I will leave you to your wonderful article now......:sleep::walk:

What in my post insinuated that I needed to calm down? I didn't use ALL CAPS. I didn't use a mad smiley face...I'm as calm as can be. I would just like a little substance to this discussion...if you don't want to add it that's fine. I was simply asking...

And look how many here have fallen for McCain's "straight talk". Guess we're all suckers...
Not many, as far as I can tell. In Obama's case, I see a bunch of supporters ready, willing, and eager to defend any gaffe and overlook all of his weaknesses.

Most posters on BGP that will be voting for McCain acknowledge that he was not their first choice but is the lesser of two evils. Even McCain's more ardent supporters seem much more willing to acknowledge their candidate's flaws than the Obama cheerleaders.

Not many, as far as I can tell. In Obama's case, I see a bunch of supporters ready, willing, and eager to defend any gaffe and overlook all of his weaknesses.

Most posters on BGP that will be voting for McCain acknowledge that he was not their first choice but is the lesser of two evils. Even McCain's more ardent supporters seem much more willing to acknowledge their candidate's flaws than the Obama cheerleaders.

The fact of the matter is on this website there are probably twice as many negative posts about Obama. That's probably why you think you see people ready, willing, ad eager to defend any gaffe he makes.

But there are people here ready to do the same for McCain as well.

And everyone knows Obama wasn't my first choice out of the Democratic party. I've posted that numerous times.

The fact of the matter is on this website there are probably twice as many negative posts about Obama. That's probably why you think you see people ready, willing, ad eager to defend any gaffe he makes.

But there are people here ready to do the same for McCain as well.

And everyone knows Obama wasn't my first choice out of the Democratic party. I've posted that numerous times.

Obviously there are going to be more negative posts about Obama on here, as the majority of posters lean more to the conservative/republican side.

If you don't mind me asking, who was your first choice?

Obviously there are going to be more negative posts about Obama on here, as the majority of posters lean more to the conservative/republican side.

If you don't mind me asking, who was your first choice?

I liked Hillary better than Obama.

I would be one of those, as you know. I don't agree with McCain on everything, for example I think we should be drilling in ANWR (any one seen that e mail floating around, explaining where ANWR is actually located?). I'm still not quite as confident in global warming as he is (although I do think we need to objectively study it more, come to a good understanding of it and then weigh the costs/benefits of actions that may be needed to address it if it truly is a problem). I think corporate tax rates should be cut even lower than what he is proposing. I think the govt needs to attack our energy crisis the way that we joined the race to the moon. I have my differences with him, but that's one of the reasons I like him so much to be our next President. I do feel that this country definitely needs someone not ideologically fixated with either extreme; someone willing to work with the people on the other aisle to find compromise on issues. Yes there are some issues that I don't think can be compromised. As a lawyer, I know that the best compromise, the best settlement, is one where neither side walks away completely happy, but feels that they didn't get jobbed. I believe McCain can do that more than Obama can. I will concede that Obama is a much more dynamic speaker and such can be very helpful in bringing the country together. But my concern is that at some point the motivational speeches have to stop and action has to occur and that's when I get worried about Obama based on his past voting record.

But there are plenty of things that I do agree with McCain on. He's against pork barrel spending; he's in favor of low tax rates; he's in favor of a strong military but has the personal experience to use restraint in using the military; he's in favor of free trade; he's a strong death penalty supporter; he's opposed to abortion; he's in favor of off shore drilling; he's pro-nuke power; he's pro gun; he's pro business but willing to bust the knuckles of abusive corporate practices; he's for campaign funding reform; he's got the foreign policy experience needed to lead this country in a very, very dangerous world, on and on. And with some exceptions (his initial opposition to Bush's tax cuts for example) he has the voting record to support his campaign rhetoric.

And look how many here have fallen for McCain's "straight talk". Guess we're all suckers...

If you're referring to me then I can tel you that I don't believe much of what McCain is saying (Global warming, immigration, ANWR just for a few examples). I will vote for him because with the choice I have he is the one that makes me less uneasy. I worry about where either of these candidates will take us, but more so regarding the saviour Obama.