Majoring In Athletics

gametime

How many college grads wind up in jobs that have nothing to do with their majors? It's all about the sheepskin.

That all depends on what the degree is in....The majority of people with degrees in areas such as Accounting, Finance, Engineering, Nursing, Education, etc., end up with jobs in those fields. The more general degrees such as Management, Marketing, Economics, etc., are the ones who end up all over the place, or at least that's the way it seems.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing close to what was mentioned in the initial post...

Yes it is.

I had to take almost every single class listed -

[I]Nutrition, Training, Finance, Sports Marketing, Media, Coaching, Event Planning, History of the Sport, Physical Education.. I would get to prepare myself for a chance at a pro career. I would get to prepare myself for a life without a pro career or after a pro career.

Of course I would get class credit for practices, games and offseason conditioning. Why not? I would be working on my craft. Just like you working on the craft of being an accountant.

My teachers would include my head coach, position coach and strength and conditioning coach. I'd also learn about being an athletic director, physical education teacher, coach, sports information directior, broadcaster, trainer,

[/i]

The only difference is I only got 3 hrs credit for when I played basketball, none for off-season.

I agree with the idea but if you can't pass what is needed for Health and PE now you think they could if given credit for basketball?

To be a good Health/PE teacher isn't just rolling out a ball and to be a SID or AD you would need to know more than how to play a sport.......

That would be nice if they stayed but kids like Mayo....college education....10 million dollars ???? Eduwhat ??!!

How about the kids that play for four years and never get a degree? These are the kids I was refering to. I think a degree like this would lead to more of these kids staying to finish and taking their classes more seriously.

Good idea. Let's lower the expectations and standards of college athletes and give them a degree that has poor direction and/or doesn't provide a back up plan?

What kind of job would you get if your athletic career didn't pan out?

When we look at division 1 athletics now, I don't know that the model is working for the current student athletes. I believe that this degree and a line of course work like that mentioned in the original post would prepare a kid to work in many sport-related fields.

So... sports administration?

Yeah.

There are degrees out there like being described, at schools that have a Sports Science Department.

Yes there are a few classes that are challenging like Biomechanics, Exercise Phys., Applied Anatomy and Kinesiology but if they can't pass 4-8 challenging classes...................then just don't make them go to any class.

When we look at division 1 athletics now, I don't know that the model is working for the current student athletes. I believe that this degree and a line of course work like that mentioned in the original post would prepare a kid to work in many sport-related fields.

1st problem is they have to want to get a degree....................

Huh? You are aware that a large number of athletes end up working in and around sports after they are done playing, right? It's big business, and there are a ton of careers out there that this type degree could prepare them for...

There is a lack of focus. Getting a degree in "athletics" is like getting a degree in "knowledge". There are great degrees in specific areas in athletics such as marketing, administration, etc. But the generalization just doesn't work.

The only thing that is going to get athletes motivated to finish college is themselves.

I am not totally against this idea but it needs something...

Such as what fields?

They have this... It's called a sports management major.

I know for a fact that you take all the math/reading/history/science etc. But you also take things like Coaching Principles, Strength Training, Sport Marketing, International Sport etc....

Such as what fields?

coaching, administration, business side of athletics, etc.

I also think this may be an avenue to teach kids about opportunities to play outside of the big sports leagues, like Euro league basketball, minor league baseball and the CFL.

If the NBA would work with the NCAA, this could turn out to be a perfect idea.

Let's say the NBA sets in place a two year out of High School rule. Make athletics a 2 year associates degree. I'm sure that 90 percent of your top tier athletes would major in this, leave college with a degree and go on to play in the pros.

Sounds perfect to me.

coaching, administration, business side of athletics, etc.

I also think this may be an avenue to teach kids about opportunities to play outside of the big sports leagues, like Euro league basketball, minor league baseball and the CFL.

The more I read this thread and think about what has been posted, I think it would work if the athletic degrees be broken up a little instead of just one.