Majoring In Athletics

gametime

Interesting thoughts from Lance on the issue.

I need you to clear your mind. I need you to think out of the box.

I want you to consider allowing a high school athlete to major in Athletics in colllege.

I've never understood why people are such snobs when it comes to a college education and the value society places on book smarts vs sports skills. Some people can play the violin. Some can sing, paint, are good with numbers or want to design buildings. More power to them.

Why is that different from those individuals good at putting a basketball through the net, hitting a fastball or throwing the deep ball? Who are you to place more value on one skill set over the other? Who are you to force an athlete to choose a major, other than what they do best, and then force them into a classroom to study it? Did you choose to major in what you were interested in, enjoyed and did best? Why shouldn't an athlete get the same chance?

If a high school student wants to play sports on the pro level, why not surround them with enough to give it their best shot? Or at least give them the best shot and provide a fallback "Plan B" if it doesn't happen?

I majored in Radio/Television at Butler University. I wanted to go into communications. Butler prepared me. If Johnny Jumpshot wants to play in the NBA, why should he not get to take classes that prepare him?

College athletes should be required to take core classes, like everyone else. Classes from math to sciene, english and social studies. After that, build their classes around the pursuit of an athletic career. Just like I took classes built around broadcasting.

If I wanted to play basketball or baseball, my classes might include:

Nutrition, Training, Finance, Sports Marketing, Media, Coaching, Event Planning, History of the Sport, Physical Education.. I would get to prepare myself for a chance at a pro career. I would get to prepare myself for a life without a pro career or after a pro career.

Of course I would get class credit for practices, games and offseason conditioning. Why not? I would be working on my craft. Just like you working on the craft of being an accountant.

My teachers would include my head coach, position coach and strength and conditioning coach. I'd also learn about being an athletic director, physical education teacher, coach, sports information directior, broadcaster, trainer, etc. I'd take classes taught by former athletes, agents, SID's, and broadcasters. I'd learn the long odds I face at a pro career. I'd hopefully learn my other career options. But how dare you tell me my craft is silly, doesn't matter or that odds say I'll never make it so I should not try.

You worry about your craft, I'll worry about mine.

Now remind me....why is major in atheltics such a bad thing?

http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely agree. It might encourage athletes to stick in school a little longer too.

I'm sure some will complain that a Bachelor of Athletics with a Major in Basketball isn't a very marketable degree, but what about fine arts or political science?

I definitely agree. It might encourage athletes to stick in school a little longer too.

I'm sure some will complain that a Bachelor of Athletics with a Major in Basketball isn't a very marketable degree, but what about fine arts or political science?

Some people think you have to have a degree like Engineering, Accounting, or Education to get a job. That would go against the philosophy of Liberal Arts colleges who are in the business of educating the entire mind. Centre, for example, falls into this category and I don't see their grads struggling for work.

Assuming the "Athletics" degree would require core classes to graduate, I don't see how this is any different than a Phys Ed degree.

I LOVE this idea! This might seriously encorage kids to stay at a school and get their degrees.

That would be nice if they stayed but kids like Mayo....college education....10 million dollars ???? Eduwhat ??!!

Good idea. Let's lower the expectations and standards of college athletes and give them a degree that has poor direction and/or doesn't provide a back up plan?

What kind of job would you get if your athletic career didn't pan out?

Good idea. Let's lower the expectations and standards of college athletes and give them a degree that has poor direction and/or doesn't provide a back up plan?

Huh? You are aware that a large number of athletes end up working in and around sports after they are done playing, right? It's big business, and there are a ton of careers out there that this type degree could prepare them for...

How many college grads wind up in jobs that have nothing to do with their majors? It's all about the sheepskin.