UC/Dr Z's Quandry

Clyde

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080625/SPT0101/806250372/1064

Several things jump out at me on this one.

First, didn't Dr Z complain about the types of people that Huggins was bringing in? Am I remembering that correctly?

Second, this is a reflection on you and me as much as it is on UC. We want our universities to take a chance on a kid who has shown "poor judgment" (to say the least) because we want to win on Saturdays. We wouldn't want this kid in our school if he couldn't help the football team.

Thirdly, I think Coach Kelly is showing his true colors - He will take a chance on a player if he can help him win. He will hide behind "hey, he wasn't actually charged" which makes me think fo Bill Murray in Stripes saying "Convicted? No. Not convicted."

I am not a UC fan but I would hope they would pass on this guy. He's simply not worth it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Investigators said Daniels used his cell phone to film Jones having sex with the woman. Hennepin County (Minn.) attorney Mike Freeman said Daniels and Minnesota players E.J. Jones and Keith Massey also had sex with the woman earlier that night.

"I don't know what facts the prosecution had that they had to charge one and not the others," Kelly said. "All I know is in our conversations with our lawyer, (Daniels) was not charged and will never be charged. The case has been closed."

When asked if he were concerned about public relations fallout if Daniels joins the UC team, Kelly said: "If he was charged with a crime, I would be concerned, but he was never charged with a crime. What we're dealing with here is bad judgment ...

Wow.

Alex Daniels is a fine young man that got caught up in something really stupid, and has paid the consequences. He lost his scholarship at Minnesota, and for the last year has been paying his own way at UC and working very hard on his own to get a second chance.

How do I know he's a good kid? Because I've talked to him quite a bit over the last year as he sat in the stands at Nippert and watched the team practice day in and day out.

Bill Koch was very irresponsible in the way he reported this story, and it makes my blood boil...

Alex Daniels is a fine young man that got caught up in something really stupid, and has paid the consequences. He lost his scholarship at Minnesota, and for the last year has been paying his own way at UC and working very hard on his own to get a second chance.

How do I know he's a good kid? Because I've talked to him quite a bit over the last year as he sat in the stands at Nippert and watched the team practice day in and day out.

Bill Koch was very irresponsible in t

he way he reported this story, and it makes my blood boil...

Fine young men do not put themselves in the situation he was in. Not having charges filed doesnt tell me anything.

If I remember correctly, you do something with UC or Rivals so I think it would be fair to question your objectivity in this as well.

You say you talked to him. What did you expect him to say to you ?

UC should pass. All schools should pass. He's simply not worth it.

Fine young men do not put themselves in the situation he was in. Not having charges filed doesnt tell me anything.

If I remember correctly, you do something with UC or Rivals so I think it would be fair to question your objectivity in this as well.

You say you talked to him. What did you expect him to say to you ?

UC should pass. All schools should pass. He's simply not worth it.

Fine young men still make errors in judgment. Were you a saint in your college days? I doubt it. I know I wasn't.

Yes I cover UC for Rivals, and if he was a problem, I'd have no trouble saying so. As it stands, he's a good kid that did something really stupid and has paid quite a price for it already. But why let that stand in the way of a good story in the paper that tells only a fraction of the situation...

Fine young men still make errors in judgment. Were you a saint in your college days? I doubt it. I know I wasn't.

Yes I cover UC for Rivals, and if he was a problem, I'd have no trouble saying so. As it stands, he's a good kid that did something really stupid and has paid quite a price for it already. But why let that stand in the way of a good story in the paper that tells only a fraction of the situation...

1. You're too close to the situation.

2. Not being a saint means I drank beer before I was 21, egged a house or two, and hid from the police. Watching your buddies have at a passed out female is way beyond that.

3. What didn't your boy tell us in the story other than "he's a good kid?"

How about how hard the kid has worked on his own to get his life back on track? Squeezing a year and a half of school work in to a year so he could get back to doing what he loves. That's not the MO of a bad kid. How about not giving up when he tore his achilles, and getting back to cleared 4 months ahead of schedule.

If he was that big of a concern, he shouldn't have been admitted as a student last summer in the first place. He's been on campus for over a year without any hint of trouble. But throw stones from your glass house if you wish...

How about how hard the kid has worked on his own to get his life back on track? Squeezing a year and a half of school work in to a year so he could get back to doing what he loves. That's not the MO of a bad kid. How about not giving up when he tore his achilles, and getting back to cleared 4 months ahead of schedule.

If he was that big of a concern, he shouldn't have been admitted as a student last summer in the first place. He's been on campus for over a year without any hint of trouble. But throw stones from your glass house if you wish...

There are some mistakes that you simply can't overlook just because the kid can run and tackle. Any school, including those that I root for, who take this kid are proving once again that the quality of the person is irrelevant. UC isn't alone is this. Its prevalent. We saw it at UL with the LBer from Florida.

UC is turning the corner and doesn't need to take punks who watch a girl be assaulted by his buddies (and maybe him). They should be above that.

You've heard the kid's sob story. You've heard him tell how hard he's working. Did you ask him why he stood by and watched , filmed, and/or participated?

There are some mistakes that you simply can't overlook just because the kid can run and tackle. Any school, including those that I root for, who take this kid are proving once again that the quality of the person is irrelevant. UC isn't alone is this. Its prevalent. We saw it at UL with the LBer from Florida.

UC is turning the corner and doesn't need to take punks who watch a girl be assaulted by his buddies (and maybe him). They should be above that.

You've heard the kid's sob story. You've heard him tell how hard he's working. Did you ask him why he stood by and watched , filmed, and/or participated?

If he was the one that raped the girl, I'm on your side. I have talked with him about it a little, and he knows now what he did was wrong. It's the only trouble the kid has been involved with in his life, and he's done the right things to deserve a second chance.

The UL kid had been arrested over and over, and was a known troublemaker. Daniels made one really bad error in judgment, has been paying for it for two years and deserves a second chance. He'll be on a very short leash, and I have no doubt he'll walk the straight and narrow...

I do find it funny that as the only person on the board that knows Daniels, you dismiss my first hand experience. Why get the facts when it's more fun to assume...

You know him. Great. Tell him hello for us.

Again, what did he say when you were getting to know him so well and you asked "why did you stand by while someone's daughter was being violated by you and your punk friends?"

Prison is filled with people who only made one mistake and knew that they did wrong.

You know him. Great. Tell him hello for us.

Again, what did he say when you were getting to know him so well and you asked "why did you stand by while someone's daughter was being violated by you and your punk friends?"

Prison is filled with people who only made one mistake and knew that they did wrong.

He was pretty straight about it. Everyone was drunk, things got out of hand and he got caught up in it. I guess we should just take him out back and shoot him... :rolleyes: Edited by STRIKE3
edited content

He was pretty straight about it. Everyone was drunk, things got out of hand and he got caught up in it. I guess we should just take him out back and shoot him... :rolleyes:

Shoot him? No, I'd just like to see the justice system handle him.

Don't try to sluff this off by using "mistake" and "out of hand" and "drunk." We put people in jail every day who could use the same excuses.

Edited by STRIKE3
edited quote