Religion being taught in Modesto high school

Should teaching the History of Religions be allowed in public schools?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should teaching the History of Religions be allowed in public schools?

I don't think that it should be a required class...but I do think it should definitely be considered an elective class. I tried to take a class like this in college, but let's just say my professor my not have been the best teacher for it...so I unfortunately decided to remove myself, but I still think its interesting.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people are doing a reasonable job of teaching World History (a required class in Kentucky) then Kentucky has been teaching this for a long time.

World History starts in 1500 in Kentucky High Schools with the Renaissance and Reformation (got to teach Cathlocism and Protestantism)

Can't teach any Middle Eastern History with teaching about Islam

India and the Enlightened One - the Middle Way, the Eight Fold Path

World War II and Judaism/Zionism

The conflict in the middle east dates back to Isaac and Ishmael (jew and muslim???)

Again, if they (teachers) have been teaching class correctly, Kentucky has been at the forefront.

If people are doing a reasonable job of teaching World History (a required class in Kentucky) then Kentucky has been teaching this for a long time.

World History starts in 1500 in Kentucky High Schools with the Renaissance and Reformation (got to teach Cathlocism and Protestantism)

Can't teach any Middle Eastern History with teaching about Islam

India and the Enlightened One - the Middle Way, the Eight Fold Path

World War II and Judaism/Zionism

The conflict in the middle east dates back to Isaac and Ishmael (jew and muslim???)

Again, if they (teachers) have been teaching class correctly, Kentucky has been at the forefront.

I believe that many of them touch on the basics in World Civ. However, those are the basics, not a thorough survey, which I believe is the difference here.

Reason being?

Separation of church and state. simple.

Schools, at least public schools, are not to be in the business of teaching about religion. That is the position held by our society.

If they are teaching all religions are equal then they are taking a position on religion.

If they are teaching that Islam is the same as Christianity, then they are in sense, teaching that Jesus is incorrect when he says that the ONLY way to Heaven is through Him.

The teaching of religion is a deeply personal subject and should be handled by parents and church outreach and schools should not be involved.

Separation of church and state. simple.

Schools, at least public schools, are not to be in the business of teaching about religion. That is the position held by our society.

If they are teaching all religions are equal then they are taking a position on religion.

If they are teaching that Islam is the same as Christianity, then they are in sense, teaching that Jesus is incorrect when he says that the ONLY way to Heaven is through Him.

The teaching of religion is a deeply personal subject and should be handled by parents and church outreach and schools should not be involved.

But the topic is teaching the history of religions, not teaching the religions themselves or seeking conversion to one or another. Religion can easily be discussed and taught in a secular manner which merely discusses the main ideals and founding principles. This I think is a good thing for understanding the differences between religions. Something that we as Americans frankly kind of need.

You can't teach history without touching on religion. To understand motives of societies it is often important to understand their religion and yet how can we understand it without teaching it?

How can we understand the Crusades, Thirty Years War, the Muslim Conquest of the Middle East through to Spain and Eastern Europe without understanding the religions in question?

But the topic is teaching the history of religions, not teaching the religions themselves or seeking conversion to one or another. Religion can easily be discussed and taught in a secular manner which merely discusses the main ideals and founding principles. This I think is a good thing for understanding the differences between religions. Something that we as Americans frankly kind of need.

Disagree.

I see this as the same as government's rule that if you are going to pray to open a legislative session, you cannot mention Jesus. Rather you just have to pray to some all-encompassing God.

We are not talking about making a decision on some government program but rather where people will spend all of eternity.

And if you cannot teach all about the religion, than you are misleading those that you are teaching.

NO WAY, Christianity can be taught without mentioning the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the importance of it as it relates to everyone's eternal salvation. NO WAY it can be done.

You can't teach history without touching on religion. To understand motives of societies it is often important to understand their religion and yet how can we understand it without teaching it?

How can we understand the Crusades, Thirty Years War, the Muslim Conquest of the Middle East through to Spain and Eastern Europe without understanding the religions in question?

To me, that is very dangerous thinking. The bolded. Jesus Christ said he was the only way to Heaven. If I am to believe that, all other religions are wrong. If I am not to believe that, than Jesus was a crackpot. He left no other choice.

Disagree.

I see this as the same as government's rule that if you are going to pray to open a legislative session, you cannot mention Jesus. Rather you just have to pray to some all-encompassing God.

We are not talking about making a decision on some government program but rather where people will spend all of eternity.

And if you cannot teach all about the religion, than you are misleading those that you are teaching.

NO WAY, Christianity can be taught without mentioning the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the importance of it as it relates to everyone's eternal salvation. NO WAY it can be done.

Uh, yes you can. You seem incapable of separating in your mind the fact that this is being done from an academic and NOT proselytizing perspective. Religion can be discussed in a neutral manner, plain and simple.

To me, that is very dangerous thinking. The bolded. Jesus Christ said he was the only way to Heaven. If I am to believe that, all other religions are wrong. If I am not to believe that, than Jesus was a crackpot. He left no other choice.

And if you have a problem with an academic understanding of many faiths being taught equally in schools then I suggest you send your children to Christian schools.

LBBC, are you against religious schools in general?

Absolutely, not. I think they serve a very vital and important role.

I wish my children could attend a Christian school.

I wish more people would choose to send their kids to a private school with a good solid Christian foundation and put the public schools out of business.

Heck, I have argued on this SITE FOR vouchers so that parents could use the tax dollars set aside for education to go to private schools.

And if you have a problem with an academic understanding of many faiths being taught equally in schools then I suggest you send your children to Christian schools.

I wish it was a realistic option but is not.

When my kids started attending school, I sought out a position at Calvary Christian and consider making the move to teach there. Decided, the academic part would be just fine in our public school and we would actively teach them the faith part along with help from our church and other Christian programs we have sought out, like Believe, Summer in the Son, Camp Northward, Upward Basketball, CIY, Revolve, Winter Jam, etc, etc.

Uh, yes you can. You seem incapable of separating in your mind the fact that this is being done from an academic and NOT proselytizing perspective. Religion can be discussed in a neutral manner, plain and simple.

I don't see how you can discuss Christianity and not bring up the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Especially when Christianity is FOUNDED on that one and ONLY principle. If you discuss Christianity, that HAS TO BE DISCUSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can you discuss Christianity and not discuss Jesus and his sacrifice for YOU???

Hey, kids, during the Crusades, a bunch of English people went to the middle East to convert the infidels.

Why did they want to convert them, teach?

Well, I am not allowed to tell you that but rather that historically, they went.