Tayshaun Prince agrees to play for USA Olympics team, Amare Stoudemire declines

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tayshaun Prince = a true American, and a good person

Amare Stoudamire = a selfish non-patriot, IMO.

Awfully hard on him, aren't you?

Here's a little background on Amare...

"Stoudemire's father died when he was twelve, and his mother Carrie was in and out of prison during that time also.[2] As it was difficult for Stoudemire to get situated, he attended six different high schools before graduating from Cypress Creek High School in Orlando, Florida. He told Isaac Perry in an article for Dime Magazine that what kept him going in that time period was God and the words of rapper Tupac Shakur.[2] Stoudemire only played two years of high school-level basketball, but in those two years he was the MVP of the Nike summer league. He had committed to play collegiately at the University of Memphis but never attended the school, instead, he declared for the NBA draft due to his desire to quickly help out his family's problems."

Awfully hard on him, aren't you?

Here's a little background on Amare...

"Stoudemire's father died when he was twelve, and his mother Carrie was in and out of prison during that time also.[2] As it was difficult for Stoudemire to get situated, he attended six different high schools before graduating from Cypress Creek High School in Orlando, Florida. He told Isaac Perry in an article for Dime Magazine that what kept him going in that time period was God and the words of rapper Tupac Shakur.[2] Stoudemire only played two years of high school-level basketball, but in those two years he was the MVP of the Nike summer league. He had committed to play collegiately at the University of Memphis but never attended the school, instead, he declared for the NBA draft due to his desire to quickly help out his family's problems."

Let's go from there....he has made tons of money helped out his family financially. And is now potentially set for the rest of his life....how about giving back to the country that afforded him the luxory that he was given the opportunity to achieve...

You know what...Tiger Woods is just a big jerk too. I can't believe he would get surgery on and miss the upcoming Ryder Cup and not represent the U.S.A. If he was a true American and a true patriot he would play through the pain and represent his country...not worry about his body and his future :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Amare Stoudamire isn't staying back because he isn't patriotic...coming off multiple knee surgerys, making him not as solid of a player that he is already...it's probably best for him that he doesn't go. Besides, they are already taking Dwight Howard, who virtually has the same game as Amare (neither of which fit well in the European type of game).

^ I like Howard's game better than Stoudamire's....my opinion doesn't have to be the popular one. Comparing Tiger and Amare......one, I will expect Tiger to be here, if not I will lose some respect for him. Two, it doesn't get bigger than the Olympics, ever. I love the Ryder Cup, it is going to be the biggest thing to ever be in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and it's going to be 2 miles from my house, that's pretty cool, to me. But, you can't compare the Olympics. Now, Amare's last surgery was in 2006, that's enough recovery time to me. Tiger's recovery at best will be 2.5 months.

Bosh and Boozer for sure.

Brand is injured.

Maybe Tyson Chandler.

Seems like the last I read was that Brand had planned to make his return at the Olympics. I knew he was injured, just didn't know if he was all the way back yet. That gives a pretty good front line with Howard, Bosh, and Boozer, with Lebron and Carmelo having the ability to play the 4 spot from time to time!

Does the Olympics pay these players to play in these games? If not then Amare should decline because it's playing for the Suns that pays his bills. And after having those knee surgeries he may not be able to afford taking the chance of reinjuring the knee during the Olympic games.

And don't say he could afford it because we've all seen how Mike Tyson and Latrell Spreewell did with their money.

Let's go from there....he has made tons of money helped out his family financially. And is now potentially set for the rest of his life....how about giving back to the country that afforded him the luxory that he was given the opportunity to achieve...

Come on RP, listen to yourself here. There are plenty of other ways to give back to your country other than playing basketball.

I understand your point / frustration, but I think it's way off base. The man is doing what is best for him and his career. If he wants to continue to play basketball at the highest level, then the Olympics probably aren't a great idea for him. He has plenty of other chances to give back and I'm willing to give Amare the benefit of the doubt and say that he will do so (or has already done so) in other ways than playing in the Olympics.

FWIW, hasn't he already played on the national team and in other events representing USA?