List McCain's qualifications for President

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a position that is anti-abortion and the American genocide of taking over 3,500 unborn children lives per day in this USofA.

He's anti abortion, unless it's his own daughter. Then he believes it's her decision. :lol:

If his daughter is an adult and abortion is legal, then is it not her decision?

If he truly believes abortion is murder, shouldn't he at least say that he would try to convince his daughter not to have an abortion?

KEYES [to McCain]: What you would say if your daughter was ever in a position where she might need an abortion? You answered [earlier today] that the choice would be up to her and then that you’d have a family conference. That displayed a profound lack of understanding of the basic issue of principle involved in abortion. After all, if your daughter said she was contemplating killing her grandmother for the inheritance, you wouldn’t say, “Let’s have a family conference.” You’d look at her and say “Just Say No,“ because that is morally wrong. It is God’s choice that that child is in the womb. And for us to usurp that choice in contradiction of our declaration of principles is just as wrong.

McCAIN: I am proud of my pro-life record in public life, and I will continue to maintain it. I will not draw my children into this discussion. As a leader of a pro-life party with a pro-life position, I will persuade young Americans [to] understand the importance of the preservation of the rights of the unborn.

LINK

McCain said he thought Roe v. Wade should be overturned and said he would support exceptions to a ban on abortion in cases of rape, incest, and when the mother’s life is in danger.

I actually agree with McCain there.

If he truly believes abortion is murder, shouldn't he at least say that he would try to convince his daughter not to have an abortion?

KEYES [to McCain]: What you would say if your daughter was ever in a position where she might need an abortion? You answered [earlier today] that the choice would be up to her and then that you’d have a family conference. That displayed a profound lack of understanding of the basic issue of principle involved in abortion. After all, if your daughter said she was contemplating killing her grandmother for the inheritance, you wouldn’t say, “Let’s have a family conference.” You’d look at her and say “Just Say No,“ because that is morally wrong. It is God’s choice that that child is in the womb. And for us to usurp that choice in contradiction of our declaration of principles is just as wrong.

McCAIN: I am proud of my pro-life record in public life, and I will continue to maintain it. I will not draw my children into this discussion. As a leader of a pro-life party with a pro-life position, I will persuade young Americans [to] understand the importance of the preservation of the rights of the unborn.

LINK

McCain did not say that he would not try to persuade his daughter not to have an abortion. He said that he would not draw his children into the discussion.

Generally, the response that he gave to such questions is the correct one for any candidate to give. Michael Dukakis made the mistake of responding to a death penalty question involving his wife by delivering a dispassionate response as if he was a professor answering a student's question about his office hours. Most politicians have decided that it is best not to open the floodgates to hypothetical questions involving their own family members.

McCain said he thought Roe v. Wade should be overturned and said he would support exceptions to a ban on abortion in cases of rape, incest, and when the mother’s life is in danger.

Only 17% of Americans think abortion should be illegal, regardless of circumstance. 82% say keep it legal. ---Gallup , May 8-11, 2008.

I have never been able to understand how if a life is a life, how rape or incest allows for an exemption. The unborn child who is a product of rape shouldn't have rights?

I have never been able to understand how if a life is a life, how rape or incest allows for an exemption. The unborn child who is a product of rape shouldn't have rights?

:thumb: Agreed.

But an argument could be formulated based on how (outside of rape) people should have to deal with the consequences of their actions, while rape does not allow that

:thumb: Agreed.

But an argument could be formulated based on how (outside of rape) people should have to deal with the consequences of their actions, while rape does not allow that

I understand the difficulty that this would present. However, the argument for pro-life says that a life is a life....the mother isn't considered at all. I sincerely don't mean this cruelly, but giving an exemption for rape, to me, is a double standard...because that is saying that the life of a child that is a product of rape is less important than choice of the mother to have/not have the baby.

Those staunch pro-lifers who espouse the value of of every single life are hypocrites if they allow for exemptions in certain cases. If you are staunchly pro-life, you have to be against abortion IN EVERY CASE, or else I believe your stance is hypocritical.
What about abortion survivors, are they fair game or do they deserve life saving medical procedures?

Barack's thread going on nearly three pages; McCain's with a dozen posts. Even on BGP, Barack has rock star status and poor John cannot get any attention. :D.

And after 3 pages the best anyone could come up with is he spent 3 years in the senate and he gives a heck of a speech.