Belmont Stakes your picks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an issue with those who had annointed this horse as the next Secretariat, way to soon. It is my opinion we will never see "The Next Secretariat."

I can agree that a horse will probably never win a 1 1/2 race by 33 lengths, and may never see another triple crown winner, but if you follow horse racing every year, this always happens when a horse wins the first two of the crown. You are getting a little too worked up over this.

Great horse; not the greatest.:thumb:

I agree. You can't judge his performace today though, something was not right. If he would have ran his race and got beat I would not compare him to great horses. Today, was just not right for him. I am just thankful that he did not get too injured today and they did not have to uthanize him. When they hit the far turn I was relieved that KD pulled him up and did not keep urging him.

Something wasn't quite right with him today. I am truly sorry that he didn't win the triple crown. As for him being a great horse but not the greatest........in my eyes he's pretty darn close. To watch this horse run is a true joy. I just home there isn't anything wrong with him.

I can agree that a horse will probably never win a 1 1/2 race by 33 lengths, and may never see another triple crown winner, but if you follow horse racing every year, this always happens when a horse wins the first two of the crown. You are getting a little too worked up over this.

2:24 says it all. Watch the clip it is awe inspiring

Question: Was Secretariat on steroids?

My first instinct is to say I doubt it. It seems like centuries ago, and definitely was in terms of equine medical advances. But by the same token, there wasn't the oversight there is now, so it's difficult to say for sure.

I've heard stories from those days of horses having caffeine or speed or other such stimulants injected into them before races to help their giddyup, but these were often in the case of cheap claimers just struggling to stay on the track and in training. Owners/trainers are a lot more careful about the handling of the high-dollar horseflesh, and that's been a constant throughout modern racing history.