Who will be Miss Softball this year?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sears was far better I would agree with you, with the career Allen's had to not give her the most prestigous individual award in the state would be wrong. I think it is just an unfortunate year for Sears to be a Senior.

Sears is a better softball player. She is an excellent hitter, excellent shortstop, and excellent pitcher. As a pitcher, I think Allen may be slightly better, but much of her numbers are against weaker competition. When she faces tough competition, she still performs at a very high level, but she has built much of her career numbers against weaker competition. It isn't her fault, she is an awesome pitcher and can only pitch against who is on the schedule, and does so every day/night. As a total player, however, I have to give Sears the edge. But like I said, while I favor Sears, if Allen wins it, noone can say she didn't deserve it either. I do believe that these two will be the #1 and #2 vote getters. I will congratulate whomever wins the award! :thumb:

If I was able to vote, I would vote for

Sears. The softball teams in Northern Kentucky are not that strong and I am sure Allen broke a lot of records because of this reason.

I agree but I hope that everyone understands that this is not a swipe at Allen. She has been one of the most dominant pitchers I have ever seen play in this state (the most dominant since Becky Abner IMHO). She is an amazing pitcher!

Where will the Sears girl play in college?

She signed with Union. Had numerous other offers, but it was the closest to home and she didn't want to go very far from family and friends. Also liked the small college atmosphere coming from a small town and the young new energetic coach at Union. The Bulldogs got a steal in Sears.

She signed with Union. Had numerous other offers, but it was the closest to home and she didn't want to go very far from family and friends. Also liked the small college atmosphere coming from a small town and the young new energetic coach at Union. The Bulldogs got a steal in Sears.

Congratulations to her. Sounds like a player.

With that said, you've got a girl setting records who is going to pitch for an annual National Championship contender in college. Even discounting the level of competition in NKY (and I have no clue how it compares to the rest of the state), we're talking about one of the top players in the country at the most dominant position on the field.

Considering that most voters have very little chance of seeing both on even an occasional basis, that would sway my vote.

Congratulations to her. Sounds like a player.

With that said, you've got a girl setting records who is going to pitch for an annual National Championship contender in college. Even discounting the level of competition in NKY (and I have no clue how it compares to the rest of the state), we're talking about one of the top players in the country at the most dominant position on the field.

Considering that most voters have very little chance of seeing both on even an occasional basis, that would sway my vote.

Remember though, this isn't where a kid signed to play college ball, but who was the best Kentucky high school senior softball PLAYER in the state. Because a kid chose to go to a smaller school close to home should not be a reason to penalize her. And yes, the NKY competition is not very strong, but Allen is still a GREAT pitcher! Are her numbers slightly inflated due to most of her opposing teams being weaker? Sure. Does it discount her ability? Absolutely not. She has still performed well against the top notch teams Ryle has faced. Her resume may not have as many no hitters and perfect games if Ryle scheduled more ranked teams, but she still would probably have broken numerous state records.

I have had the privilege of seeing both of these girls play. They are both phenomenal players and competitors. I certainly hope to see them face off at the state tournament this year. The one tournament they were both in would have had them face off earlier but Grayson beat Ryle in the semis and the matchup never happened. Then the Ryle vs North Laurel game was rained out, rescheduled, and then rained out again.

If the voters believe that Allen is a better player than Sears in high school, then they should absolutely vote for Allen. If they believe it is Sears, than they should absolutely vote for Sears. I would like to see the batting and fielding comparison between the two for this season, even considering that North's schedule has been MUCH tougher than Ryles.

But as an example, if Mr Basketball were chosen by who went to the biggest school each year, the past decade's list of Mr Basketball's would have been MUCH different. Either way, these girls have been amazing HS players who have been fun to watch!

Not taking anything away from Ms Sears as I am sure she is a great softball player but w/Allen's accomplishments over the last 4 yrs, she is my top player and will get my vote. Not only been a dominating pitcher during her Sr yr but dominated for the last 3 yrs.

I agree, where they choose to play in college should have nothing to do w/the vote but it will. Ms Sears has chosen to play close to home but did she have D1 offers and really want to stay close to home. As someone said, Allen will be playing for a National Championship yr in and yr out at Oklahoma. She could have played anywhere in this state, wait, anywhere in the country. She is one of the top players in the country.

Allen, Ms Softball, no brainer, IMO. As for NKY not being very good, I disagree w/that comment all together. Is the N Laurel area any better? I don't know just asking.

Not taking anything away from Ms Sears as I am sure she is a great softball player but w/Allen's accomplishments over the last 4 yrs, she is my top player and will get my vote. Not only been a dominating pitcher during her Sr yr but dominated for the last 3 yrs.

I agree, where they choose to play in college should have nothing to do w/the vote but it will. Ms Sears has chosen to play close to home but did she have D1 offers and really want to stay close to home. As someone said, Allen will be playing for a National Championship yr in and yr out at Oklahoma. She could have played anywhere in this state, wait, anywhere in the country. She is one of the top players in the country.

Allen, Ms Softball, no brainer, IMO. As for NKY not being very good, I disagree w/that comment all together. Is the N Laurel area any better? I don't know just asking.

If it is Miss Softball 'Pitcher', give it to Allen. If it is who is the best senior softball PLAYER, my vote goes to Sears.

BTW, the SEKY area is not much, if any, stronger than NKY. However, look at the ranked teams that NL played all season and compare that to Ryle's schedule. Absolutely no comparison. North played ranked team after ranked team after ranked team from KY, Calif and TN. North played as many ranked teams in 2 games at the Thrill in the Ville as Ryle played all season. It isn't just who is in your area, but who will you go play or who will come play you. North was scheduled to go to Ryle but the weather prevented that matchup twice.

Again, let's look at total numbers: pitching, fielding and batting and see how all the categories compare. And as far as pitching, why not look at how many ranked teams each has wins against this season. Or teams even getting votes for the top 25?

The 'hands down' or 'no brainer' comments always kill me. I have seen both play more than once. :D

Again, this is NOT a slam on Allen. I would LOVE to have her on any team I cheered for!

Allen was hitting .460 going into tonights game and had a homerun in the first inning. I've seen her play for several years and never saw her play anywhere other than pitcher, but why would you play her anywhere else. Traveling to play the top level teams isn't always possible. Some teams may be able to afford that, but to take a bus, get motel rooms every weekend and pay for food isn't cheap. Not every team in the state has the funds to go to California, Florida and all over the state. It could be the opinion that it was unfair that North Laurel was able to make these trips and play the schedule they did.

Allen was hitting .460 going into tonights game and had a homerun in the first inning. I've seen her play for several years and never saw her play anywhere other than pitcher, but why would you play her anywhere else. Traveling to play the top level teams isn't always possible. Some teams may be able to afford that, but to take a bus, get motel rooms every weekend and pay for food isn't cheap. Not every team in the state has the funds to go to California, Florida and all over the state. It could be the opinion that it was unfair that North Laurel was able to make these trips and play the schedule they did.

What is unfair about it? Teams have options on whom and where to play. They only went to California not Florida. Weaver wanted them to face top notch competition and they did so. The team fundraised from the end of last season until the beginning of this season to be able to go to California, they worked for it. Why? Because they wanted to play the best competition they could find to challenge themselves. They also hosted very challenging tournaments featuring top notch teams from KY and TN, ... in one of which Ryle played. It takes some extra sacrifice and they couldn't do it every year, but it is an experience the girls will never forget, I am sure.

What is unfair about it? Teams have options on whom and where to play. They only went to California not Florida. Weaver wanted them to face top notch competition and they did so. The team fundraised from the end of last season until the beginning of this season to be able to go to California, they worked for it. Why? Because they wanted to play the best competition they could find to challenge themselves. They also hosted very challenging tournaments featuring top notch teams from KY and TN, ... in one of which Ryle played. It takes some extra sacrifice and they couldn't do it every year, but it is an experience the girls will never forget, I am sure.

I'm pretty sure Ryle has gone out of town for spring break the last 3 or 4 years to play.