Who will be Miss Softball this year?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will admit, that I am biased. I would vote for Abby Sears from North Laurel due to her role as a player, not just a pitcher. Here is why:

Have played one of if not the toughest schedule in the state. Playing highly ranked teams from Kentucky, Tennessee and California.

PITCHING:

107.33 innings pitched

179 strikeouts

ERA of 0.85

12 Complete games

Only given up 13 earned runs

Only 26 walks

HITTING:

.415 batting average (leads team)

.627 slugging percentage (2nd on team behind Akins who has 7 HRs)

25 RBIs

Only struck out 3 times in 118 at bats

Scored 16 runs (usually courtesy runner inserted for pitcher, so not as many opportunities)

31 singles, 13 doubles, 3 triples and 2 homeruns

DEFENSE

Starts at shortstop when not pitching

14 putouts, 50 assists with .941 fielding percentage

In my opinion, there is only one player that is in contentious for this and that is Kirsten Allen from Ryle High School.

I say this with nothing meant to put down any of the others that some will think has a shot at it but Allen has the numbers in the circle to back up all the attention she's getting.

In my opinion, there is only one player that is in contentious for this and that is Kirsten Allen from Ryle High School.

I say this with nothing meant to put down any of the others that some will think has a shot at it but Allen has the numbers in the circle to back up all the attention she's getting.

Sears would get my vote.

From what I heard :

You have to be nominated by your Athletic Director to win this award.If this is the case Allen from Ryle can not win it .The AD at Ryle did not nominate her IF I heard this correctly .Once again ,adults get in the way of the kids .Apparently there are personal issues with parents .

What a shame to at least not have a shot at it!IMO

I do believe we are hitting all around the 2 frontrunners. There are several other quality candidates, but I think these 2 will be the top 2 votegetters.

I have seen them both play and either one would be hard to argue against. IMHO though, Sears is the total package, pitching, hitting, and defense. She has an absolute bazooka on her shoulders when she plays shortstop. Allen is a very good hitter, but I don't think she has put up the offensive numbers that Sears has this season and Sears has faced top notch competition. Sears has driven in or scored 56 runs this season. That was 21% of her team's season total of 259 runs scored and equals 34% of the entire Ryle team total runs of 165. To me, that and being one of the best shortstops I have seen all season, is why I would give Sears the edge. It isn't just who is thought to be the best pitcher (although it often comes down to that), it is the best senior softball player. You cannot argue with the records that Allen has broken and set in the circle. She has been superb without a doubt. As a total package player, I would have to give Sears the nod.

From what I heard :

You have to be nominated by your Athletic Director to win this award.If this is the case Allen from Ryle can not win it .The AD at Ryle did not nominate her IF I heard this correctly .Once again ,adults get in the way of the kids .Apparently there are personal issues with parents .

What a shame to at least not have a shot at it!IMO

If that is true, that is an embarassment. I cannot believe that an AD with one of the best pitchers in the history of KHSAA fastpitch softball would not nominate her. I can't fathom she won't be on the ballot. I certainly hope your information is not accurate.

State Championship as a Sophomore, runner-up as a Junior, holds all career pitching records in the state and hitting stats are very good. I think Allen should win it.

I understand your points and they all make sense. However, Miss Softball is supposed to be awarded to the best Senior player this season. If that is the case, it should be Sears as a total softball player. To be honest, it would be hard to argue against either one of these girls getting this award IMHO.